• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Looking at a couple of threaded barrel models, I know that the 20" is a bit more portable & light at the end while the 24" will have a little more velocity.

I am looking at a suppressor in the future & for a hunting rig as well as 300m + shooting.

Are there any other advantages or disadvantages to either?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I have a R700 VSF in .308 with a 24" barrel, and to be honest, it really is too damn long. If it weren't for the flutes, I'd cut it back to 20", especially since I have a Form 1 approved for a can. It's going to be 34" with the can hanging off the end, and you can't tell me that's not ridiculous.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What caliber? If we are talking .223, even with slow buring powder and heavy bullets, there is almost no advantage to a barrel over 21 or 22 inches. Most .223 loads are really out of powder burn faster than 20 inches. The case just does not hold enough powder to need more space for continued combustion. Other calibers where a slower burning powder (like 300 WIN mag) can definately benefit from the extra barrel length.

I made this opinion with a real life test. Starting with a 26 inch .223 barrel and a chronograph, sawing off an inch at a time and firing another string of shots.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom