• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Here's my dilemma. I have a Spikes 14.5" lightweight with pinned Spikes Dynacomp on the business end. I have a Samson Evo 12.37" Keymod handguard and a Surefire G2X that I would really like to mount on this rifle. My natural grip covers all but the last keymod slot on the 3:00 side of the handguard. I've looked at the Haley Strategic Thorntail keymod light mount THORNTAIL KeyMod 1.000" Offset Adaptive Light Mount | IWC but that would require 3 keymod slots and would push my support hand way back on the handguard (I have a Thorntail Offset mount Thorntail Offset Adaptive Light Mount | IWC that works very well with a carbine length handguard) but this would put my light out over the fireball inducing Dynacomp (I don't want to run tape switches or pressure pads). My question is, who has their lights mounted out over a comp/hider and do you notice anything negative about it besides the light getting dirty? The G2X does not have an aluminum body. Can anyone steer me to a different keymod mount that uses fewer keymod slots and extends the light forward like the Thorntail? Any insight or suggestions are appreciated.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've run lights out to the end of my BattleComp'd SBR and they do get dirty. I would keep a light film of Vaseline on the lens to make cleaning easier, but I got tired of it blacking out quickly.

I don't currently have a good weaponlight solution for the SBR (I've tried several). I may go with a longer aluminum bodied light and get the lens pushed out past the comp. Or bite the bullet and get a Surefire Scout and mount it on the offside with a tape switch.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've run lights out to the end of my BattleComp'd SBR and they do get dirty. I would keep a light film of Vaseline on the lens to make cleaning easier, but I got tired of it blacking out quickly.

I don't currently have a good weaponlight solution for the SBR (I've tried several). I may go with a longer aluminum bodied light and get the lens pushed out past the comp. Or bite the bullet and get a Surefire Scout and mount it on the offside with a tape switch.
    Thanks for chiming in Evan. I know you've been in the same spot. Have you actually pushed the lens out past the end of the comp?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My Inforce WML lens would get dirty. It was positioned in the middle of the comp.

_-72.jpg

My Streamlight PT1L, even though it extended to the end of the comp, would still get dirty.

2po5es2.jpg

So a light would need to be even further out past the muzzle, or back behind the comp entirely.

I like the idea of pushing it out past the muzzle because then you don't contend with barrel shadow issues. But then I've also just added an inch to a gun I wanted to be as short as possible.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    ETA: After reading back through my SBR build thread I recall going through this line of thinking before.

Initially when I was using the PT1L / HSP mount combo I had the lens pretty far forward, and I reported no issues with blacking out. BUT, I ended up moving the unit back a notch because I was having a tough time activating the light when it was that close to the muzzle.

So the lens position was good, but I needed a longer bodied light to get the activation button further rearward.

jzt8p0.jpg

Read here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-my-ar-sbr-build-progress-14.html#post3020513

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    So as long as the lens is in front of the muzzle it should be fine. I will have to measure to see if i need the full length Thorntail to push it out that far. I believe the SBR Thorntail is ~ 1" shorter. Any sign of damage to the polymer of the WML from comp blast?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Are you happy with the WML at 12:00 except for the carbon issues?

Yes.

I like the 12 o'clock position. It eliminates left/right issues when shooting around objects.
    I like the 200 lumen wide beam for indoor use. If I was using it outdoors more I'd opt for the newer 500 lumen version.
    I like the momentary-only switch. It is a very simple interface.
    I like the angled built-in pressure switch. Some don't, but I'm only an occasional user.
    I like that it weighs almost nothing. Like 3 or 4oz IIRC.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Evan, I sent my WML back to Inforce and they replaced it for me free of charge. I have it mounted the same as you. I found the only solution to the problem was to put a can on it. That fixed it. :)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Evan, I sent my WML back to Inforce and they replaced it for me free of charge. I have it mounted the same as you. I found the only solution to the problem was to put a can on it. That fixed it. :)
    Why did you have to send it back? I've been thinking about purchasing the WMLX for a different rifle.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Why did you have to send it back? I've been thinking about purchasing the WMLX for a different rifle.

As esrice was saying upthread, I also had mine hanging out over the front of my Battlecomp 2.0 After 1000 or so rounds, the lens was pitted and stained. I contacted Inforce about getting a new lens cap do to me damaging it do to my placement. They emailed me back saying that it could not be replaced, but to send it back and they would take a look at it. 2 weeks later I had a brand new light. To me, that is great customer service! I was expecting to have to cover the cost, but they replaced with no questions asked.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    As esrice was saying upthread, I also had mine hanging out over the front of my Battlecomp 2.0 After 1000 or so rounds, the lens was pitted and stained. I contacted Inforce about getting a new lens cap do to me damaging it do to my placement. They emailed me back saying that it could not be replaced, but to send it back and they would take a look at it. 2 weeks later I had a brand new light. To me, that is great customer service! I was expecting to have to cover the cost, but they replaced with no questions asked.
    Wow that's impressive! I wonder if Surefire will do the same if my G2X gets damaged from hanging out over my Dynacomp.

Top Bottom