• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have been looking for a nice affordable bolt action rifle to deer hunt with and it looks like the ruger american is the best option. If youve had any experience with this gun or know of another quality rifle under 500 dollars please comment.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Ive been looking at one of these myself to throw together a budget long range setup. Ive had an axis and the axis xp2 also looks like a sweet piece with the weaver scope and accutrigger. Tagged with interest.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've been thinking about getting a Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK, but their lack of left handed options has me hesitating.

I've only owned right handed guns and got used to the awkwardness, but after primarily shooting semi-autos for several years now, I find right handed bolt guns frustration.

But since no one seems to make a left handed .300 BLK bolt action rifle, I don't really have many options.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have no experience with the American, but I'm the proud owner of the Ruger M77 (tang safety version) .30-06, and it's totally top shelf.
    It's 100% reliable, has one of the best looking factory stocks (walnut!) on a factory rifle, and able to squeeze five shots just inside 1" at 100 yards with two different handloads I've cooked up.
    The American will almost certainly be a quality rifle, but if I had my druthers in your position, I would save up just a wee bit more for an upgrade to the M77.

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    I have a .308 and love it. Good trigger (adjustable) light weight, smooth cycling. Only issue i have had is the stock is a tad small in the barrel channel, easily fixed with a round file and some 400 grit sand paper. Thats my experience.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I don't own the American yet, but looked over one hard at rural king just this week. I think it will come home with me soon. My two other bolt guns are twin Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag and 204 Ruger. Outstanding rifles, so I'm sure the American is a good gun and certainly the price is right.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Either that or some of the Savage products.

I looked at the cheapest two models of Savage - and didn't like them much as compared to the Ruger. Just too...cheap. No accutrigger on the super low models, either.

I bought the American compact in .223 for my step-dad's Christmas present (Plus a Vortex Crossfire II scope) and he loves it.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I have a couple in .308. They are probably a good deal for the money. When I got them they were less than $300. Trigger is pretty good, Mine brakes at 3 pound 10 ounce consistently, overall it's an ok rifle. It does have a light barrel if that makes a difference. It's not going to have the accuracy if you're going to the range to blast all day. It make a good deer or coyote gun. It's pretty light overall for carrying in the field. I do not like the plastic magazine. Not impressed with that at all for $35. It groups decent at an average of 1.5" at 100yds with Hornady 168gr sierras.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I bought a ruger american in .223 15 days ago, had to send back to factory, problem with feeding.Last year bought a ruger american in 308, no problems and very happy with it. I bought a ruger american in 22mag and love that rifle.

Top Bottom