• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Someone with more experience will chime in soon I'm sure, but from my research the US made milled receivers can be hit or miss. If you are in the market for a milled gun I would recommend doing what I did and sucking it up and buying a Bulgarian made Arsenal SAM-7. From my understanding The SAM-7 is the closest thing we as US civilians can buy to an actual AK. Everything else is either a parts kit build or something made specifically to meet import regulations and modified later by a 3rd party to 922r and 48 state compliance.

But I could be wrong. I do know I love my Arsenal SAM-7 and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've got to agree with Kawtech. For a little more, you're in a SAM7 and a much nicer rifle. I'm personally not a big fan of milled guns though, and would steer you towards an SLR107.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I didn't want to drop the coin on an Arsenal, as I plan on doing a good bit mods to the gun.

I know a milled receiver is overkill on an AK, but it is a feature I like, the added weight means nothing to me.

That said, I missed the boat on getting a DDI, but acquired a C39v2. It was much nicer than I had anticipated.

Now the wait for the Magpul Zhukov furniture begins, and looking at the the various methods to attach a spare Aimpoint Pro I have on hand. (Leaning towards the TWS top cover with rear peep sight and the lowest possible 30mm QD mount for the Aimpoint Pro.)

Probably have the TWS top cover altered so I can run a left side charging handle as well.

I know you purists are going to hate me! LOL

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I don't think i'd start with that particular gun, but a saiga or something cheaper (N/O PAP?) would work great. The only reason i say that is that you're going to be tossing or altering half of the stuff that makes those AKs command a premium price.
    I love my tactical draco SBR.

[video=youtube;5V_YvVLK0_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_YvVLK0_M[/video]

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I just did a break down of your purchase (I don't know why), and i may have a better/cheaper option.

M+M is releasing the M10x

It has a magpul stock, grip, mag and sights. It also has a fully floated nitride barrel, ambi thumb safety, gas block with suppressor setting, no dust cover, full monolithic rail with magpul mlock options for the sides and bottom. I'd probably ditch the sights though.

Elite M10x is $1195 (milled parts and magpuled out)

Standard m10x is $900 (cast bolt, upper receiver, and hogued out)

[video=youtube;4uXrLxWNO3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXrLxWNO3Q[/video]

The DDI from atlantic costs

$850.00

Magpul stock $100.00

Magpul forend $100.00

magpul grip $20.00

TWS top cover $130.00

so $1,250.00

Plus whatever it costs to cut the the TWS cover and weld on a left side charging handle and refinish.

Once you're done, you won't have as sturdy of a red dot platform as a monolithic rail, you won't have AMBI options, the gun should allow for faster follow up shots with less mass in the bolt, and all for less money. Obviously do what you want, i'm just throwing out options. If you do get a left side charging handle, get a non reciprocating one. The spot where they mount the handle stops about 2 inches from your face on the one that moves.

resources-wsb-488x318-anthonynavarrogettingreadytoruntheaklightningbolt-tm.jpg

The M10x is about the closest thing to an AK12 we have right now.

M10x
    outdoorhub-mm-inc-rethinks-kalashnikov-m10x-2015-01-26_23-12-25.jpg

AK 12
    AK12-Open11.jpg

Attachments

• outdoorhub-mm-inc-rethinks-kalashnikov-m10x-2015-01-26_23-12-25.jpg
      outdoorhub-mm-inc-rethinks-kalashnikov-m10x-2015-01-26_23-12-25.jpg
      183.9 KB · Views: 1

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The M10x looks interesting, but too many proprietary parts on essentially a new platform. I will pass, but it does look neat.

Also, I am into this C39V2 really cheap. I traded off a gun I won.

When it is all said and done, I will have about 1K into this project.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    That certainly isn't bad at all. I hear ya on the lack of readily available parts. That's my only hang up on my m10x purchase

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I would stick to a stamped receiver if you want to do anything with the stock. That said I love my sam7r and would much rather drop a extra couple of bills and go arsenal rather that'll ddi/waffen werks. If you go stamped there will be a lot more options available to you without messing with the tangs

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    All this being said, I have been very impressed with the feel of my DDI milled underfolder. Military Arms Channel had a good brief video review of one. Haven't shot it yet but I really like the angled stock for more of a chin weld.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I would stick to a stamped receiver if you want to do anything with the stock. That said I love my sam7r and would much rather drop a extra couple of bills and go arsenal rather that'll ddi/waffen werks. If you go stamped there will be a lot more options available to you without messing with the tangs

I bought a C39V2, Mark told me it would be good to go with all the new Magpul goodies. And, as usual, he is right. I just watched a video from shot show that shows the Magpul rep demo their new kit, and the host gun was a C39V2.

Top Bottom