• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well Im in the market for a 308 AR style rifle and theres not much new or used out there that Im wanting (price range around $1500). Do I hold out till something comes up or is it more economical to just build what I want? Criteria are light weight, free float barrel of 16 or 18 inches, sub moa, ambidextrious an option. Was looking at M&P10, Windham R18FSFST or CMMG Mk3. All will need my upgrades here and there. I have built 2 AR15 so nothing too new as far as building one. What do you folks think?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    not much new or used out there that Im wanting.... All will need my upgrades here and there. I have built 2 AR15 so nothing too new as far as building one. What do you folks think?

I think you know the answer....

just takes a little more research to make sure all the parts you are wanting are compatable (eg bolt/barrel combo, RE/buffer system, etc)

-rvb

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. If you can't buy what you want pre-made then clearly you are going to need to build. Just let us all see it when you are done!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You can easily build a .308 AR for under $1,500 but I don't know how light weight it'll be and I've never looked into ambi receivers. Free-float and a sub-moa barrel won't be a problem while staying within budget but I wouldn't count on that including a trigger or glass.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    No, thats not including glass. I know S&W bolt and barrel are proprietary, and theres DPMS and Rock River. What else do I need to watch out for? Weight Im thinking sub 8 lbs without glass.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Watch PSA for sales and you could easily spend less than $1,000. Their SS barrels are rumored to be made by Wilson Combat (info from the PSA informant Gamecock Operator).

Depending on your stock, handguard length, barrel profile and barrel length, you'll have a hard time keeping it under 8 lbs. One of my .308 ARs is a 12.5" SBR and without an optic it weighs 8 lbs 2 oz. That's with the Magpul CTR stock, empty mag, 10.6" free-float handguard, and a medium profile barrel.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So to build one, do I start with receivers or bolt/barrel?

To keep everything simple I'd stick with DPMS pattern. There seems to be the widest variety of parts and quality manufacturers. First I would decide on the handguard you want. Some handguard manufacturers only make either DPMS high or DPMS low profile. I would have loved to get a Fortis Switch rail but they only make high profile and my PSA builds are low profile.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Huh, didn't know about the high and low. How much difference is there between the two? I like simple, DPMS is what Id probably start with anyway. Thanks for all the info BTW.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Huh, didn't know about the high and low. How much difference is there between the two? I like simple, DPMS is what Id probably start with anyway. Thanks for all the info BTW.

Difference is the low profile has a rail tang of 0.150" and the high profile is 0.210" so hardly any difference but enough that it'll throw off your buis.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No first hand experience, and I'm not sure if it's in your price range, but I keep hearing rave reviews about the DPMS G2, and it's supposed to be light weight.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    If your budget is $1500, I would say up a few extra pennies go for a LMT MWS. I went the building route with a DPMS pattern. It had a Rainier barrel, Timney trigger, Daniel Defense AR 12.0 rail, chromed BCG, etc. At the end of the day I just wasn't happy with it and decided I wanted to upgrade. What turned me on to the LMT MWS was the monolithic rail w/ ability to quick change the barrel into multiple calibers(243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, 338 Fed). It is also nice that the Brits use it as their DMR rifle(L129A1). Just food for thought. There are 4 different heights now with the DPMS platform now with the addition of the new of the G2 so it can get really confusing.
    Here is a nice thread from M4Carbine.net:AR10/.308 AR Build knowledge thread.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well the G2 Im not a fan of quadrails so that would need changed, otherwise not bad. The LMT is nice but the quick change doesnt do it for me. And i was hoping to keep gun and glass around that price (to keep the wife off my back) and it also seems to be out of stock everywhere. Thanks for the link, looks like ive got some reading to do!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ok so I ordered a Midwest 12" SS keymod rail and have an Aero Precision complete upper in FDE and blem lower in the cart to order when I verify with USDS about their FFL! GAME ON!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I went with Midwest keymod due to weight. 12" ssk is 8.5 oz compared to m-lok was 11.8 oz. Now I need to decide 16" medium profile or 18" lightweight.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    Here is a pic of the Aero M5 I built. I put it together for right around $1500. The scope and rings are what I had laying around and have been replaced since this picture was taken.

Aero M5 Upper, Lower, & LPK
    Magpul MOE grip & UBR stock
    DPMS Bolt, 308 Buffer & Spring
    BCM gunfigher charging handle
    Faxon 18" stainless Barrel
    Fortis 15" Switch rail
    YHM suppressor mount
    Syrac Adujstable Gas Block
    Midlenth gas tube
    20 round PMAG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom