Range time with a Winchester Model 70 308....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I made my first trip to the range this year. My cousin belongs to the St Joesph County Restoration Society, he took me as a guest. It's a nice range. We shot at 100 yards. We took his Winchester Model 70. Its a bull barreled 308. The scope is a 2-8 Tasco. This was my first time shooting a 308.

Here is a pic of the range. If you look way in the back on the left you can barely see our targets.

Here is a shot of the shooting benches. Taken from down range.

The targets. The white sheet was for checking zero.

The white sheet on the right is my first 3 shots. The gun is sighted 2 inches high at 100 and a inch high at 200. I shot fairly well. The middle target is Bobby's. He's a better shot then me. The target on the right is my second time behind the gun. I shot pretty much the same as my first shot. We put about 40 rounds down range. We had a great time!

Here's Bobby with his gun.

The money shot. I got lucky!

We shot pretty close to MOA. I think a much better scope would help me a lot. Not my gun though. Although it could be :-) If I do get it, it will get new glass.

What are my over all thoughts on a 308? It's a nice round. My only complaint is price. It's around the same cost as 30-06. And when SHTF it's harder to get then 30-06. I can shoot better groups with my 30-06 but that's not a fair comparison. i have a lot more trigger time on my 700 and better glass. I think (know is more like it) I can tighten the groups a lot with some practice. Another issue is the 70's things trigger is lighter then I am use to. I like a 3.5lb trigger. This thing is closer to 2.5 or maybe even lighter. I didn't bring a pull gauge with me. The recoil on 308 isn't even noticeable. .

Thoughts on the Model 70, sweet rifle. I don't think I could go wrong with this one!

I had a great day!! :rockwoot:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Since FN took over winchester, I think the new m70'sare every bit as nice as the old vintage winchesters. They're one of the nicest factory rifles out there right now IMHO.

Another thing to think about is the remington 700. It's most certainly the most readily modified and worked on. If you plan to modify your rifle, a 700 is a great choice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Since FN took over winchester, I think the new m70'sare every bit as nice as the old vintage winchesters. They're one of the nicest factory rifles out there right now IMHO.

Another thing to think about is the remington 700. It's most certainly the most readily modified and worked on. If you plan to modify your rifle, a 700 is a great choice.

Very true. Drop in triggers and a wide choice of after market stocks. I have been very happy with my 700. It's an older one. But I would not be afraid to pick up the 70 if they are all similar. It was a nice rifle to say the least.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had a Model 70 in 30/06 years ago, good straight shooting rifle. I should have kept it, ranger model and all. It packed easy and kicked like a mule, but I did like it better than the remmy 700 version I had a year ago. Meh

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The 70 is a Mauser type action, so it's a controlled feed instead of a push feed. The 700 is a push feed.

I've also heard theories saying that the m70 action could be a bit more stable (and accurate) because of its squared off bottom. The remington 700 is a round bottom receiver, so the theory is that it can shift in the stock easier. I've never seen any conclusive proof of this, but in theory, it seems to make sense.

Either one is going to be a good rifle, though. I'd say if you're going to customize it, go 700. If you're going to leave it stock and you don't mind the extra upfront cost, go m70. An m70 is more expensive to get into, so the difference would leave you a bit to customize a 700 (new stock, trigger, better scope/mount, etc...).

Very true. Drop in triggers and a wide choice of after market stocks. I have been very happy with my 700. It's an older one. But I would not be afraid to pick up the 70 if they are all similar. It was a nice rifle to say the least.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I was wondering how the FN model 70 would perform.
    Good to hear you and others comment favorably about its accuracy and quality.
    I'm a big fan of the Mauser type claw extractor bolt system.

JayT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Weatherford
    Huge Winchester/FN 70 fan here. I own three of them myself.

The rifle pictured is push feed. Winchester made several different variations over the years. The classic is the Mauser style non-rotating extractor, the also made a variation they called "Push controlled feed" where the function was essentially CRF without the external extractor, and the push feed that is the same as the Remington 700.

The factory trigger is the essence of simplicity. I can be tuned and adjusted to a very good pull with a lighter spring, engagement surface polishing and adjustment for those who are inclined to that. Timney and Jewell make excellent replacement triggers as well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a 70 in 7mmRM. Boom. Reach out and touch someone, with some good practice. Needs good glass, though. With .308, you can still get a good bit of surplus M80/7.62x51, and that's OK to fire in a .308, but some is Berdan and corrosive.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You asked a question about the .308 round.
    It is extremely versatile. And there are tons of loadings available and tons of ballistic data as well.

Like the 30-06, its a military round. And there is a lot of it on the market, in basements, safes and in surplus
    In a "SHTF" situation, you won't be zipping over to the WalMart to pick up ammo. You'll need to be able to reload. So "availability" is a moot point unless you are the first to realize that the "SHTF" and bought everything on the shelf.:)
    You'll need to reload. And its a pretty cheap round to load/reload. And much lighter than the 30-06, both per 100 rnds and in recoil.

I think (absolutely know) you're right about the optics.

Get a good scope on that rifle, a bipod on the front swivel and a sandbag under the butt. I'm going to guess you'll be sub MOA.

Good shooting. When its yours, you'll be very proud of it,

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Now that's more like it.

In a SHTF scenario you'll need many rounds on hand, reloading becomes an issue after it devolves to sustenance not immediate survival. Immediate survival requires many bullets right now...after that we can talk.

.308 is a good round, it is available and there are many weapons chambered for it. I have both bolt action and semi-auto and enough rounds on hand to keep them fed for some time. -06 is a very good and versatile round as well.

Also, iron sights still work for most engagement scenarios. About 2 weeks ago I shot a 1moa group with a .303 Enfield from 1942...Your MOA may vary.

Top Bottom