• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The GI rattle is a bit obnoxious. And the pmags have a different follower that resists tilting better. But most importantly, they're tacticool. I don't own any, but eventually I'll get around to it, after I run out of projects.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Mostly hype. I have mostly pmags, but I have noticed that my pmag followers don't tilt like my usgi mags do (easy fix just replace with Magpul followers). I agree the fact they don't rattle around is a plus. I keep usgi mags because they're so durable though.
    theres a drop test on one site in which the usgi mags bent from dropping but functioned fine. Polymer mags cracked at the feed lips when dropped but Magpul still fed fine, off brand polymer mags would not feed.

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer, Pmags.

In fact, I am getting ready to sell off a few GI mags mags. Blasphemy, I know. But I have a LOT.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I refuse to run Pmags in anything that will see hard use or trust my life with. I had 6 of them split up the spine on me in a place where i couldnt exactly run out and grab some from the store. Magpul Replaced them for free and i sold them during the gun scare. I wont by their magazines again. I'll stick to aluminum or steel.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I refuse to run Pmags in anything that will see hard use or trust my life with. I had 6 of them split up the spine on me in a place where i couldnt exactly run out and grab some from the store. Magpul Replaced them for free and i sold them during the gun scare. I wont by their magazines again. I'll stick to aluminum or steel.

Are we talking old PMAG's? I know when they came out they had issues but from what I have seen Gen2-3 has been solid.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    They were all Gen 2. I realize i'm a minority on that subject but you get a taste in your mouth that sometimes just wont come out. This is one of them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was wondering why people go for PMAGS over GI standard Mags?

Do you even operate, bro?

120113115705643c584d675af8.jpg

Sorry, have to make fun of ourselves.:D The gun culture is driven by what is hot and cool. What guns are in movies, those are the hot guns. What guns are used by Beards McOperator, those are the mags that are hot.

1. Find mags that work.

2. Fill a box car with those mags.

3. Separate out a few for training and keep the rest in reserve.

4. Magazines are a wear item. Don't fall in love with them.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    As Kirk says, get the ones you like an fill yourself a boxcar with them and keep most in reserve as they wear out. I have both too but I use the Pmags and keep the USGI's (I have a couple of moving boxes full) in reserve. When I started doing this USGI Mags were the best and the only ones around as the polymer mags had not yet emerged. When they did I bought some of all the various types to use and put the USGI Aluminum mags away except for a few of the smaller, benchrest sized ones. I still get a few of the smaller type/low capacity poly mags you can see through because I think they are cool but those sure wouldn't be with me when the economy collapses or whatever. Then the metal USGI's come out and get loaded and accompany me but that is just me, YMMV

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Yep...yep..... :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Only reason why I have GI mags is they were cheap and they are a backup/investment. Pmags are all I use for my "real" rifle. Never had a GI mag in it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I got a few pmags from secret Santa last year and they work, but in my years of military service including rifle ranges, and tours overseas never had a problem with GI mags. Even mag dumps on concrete still ran fine.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I prefer Pmags as I have never broken one or rendered it inop, which I have done with USGI mags. Granted, I've never never done "a dynamite PLF" with a Pmag and I'm unlikely to ever do so, but I've also had "a taste in your mouth that sometimes just wont come out." But I don't have a problem with my USGI mags with Magpul followers, I just don't buy them any more.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have 4 P Mags that I've gotten on sale. The rest are GI. I'll get around to replace the GI followers though.

Top Bottom