• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    This story starts in June 1968 when my dad visited on of his favorite gun shops, Elgin Arms. He had bought dozens of mil-surps for them to sporterize and this rifle was going to be no different. The stock had been sanded by the previous owner and there was a crack in the stock by the pistol grip but that didn't matter to him. The owner told him about the rifle and told him if he found the proper scope it could be worth considerably more. So dad plunked down his $15.60 for the rifle , took it home and hung it on the wall in the basement man cave along with his other rifles only handling it to clean and oil it once a year. Christmas 1976 he gave me the rifle along with the receipt and the story about the scope and over the next 29 years I would look for one anytime I went to a gun show, but with no luck. But in 2005 I stepped into the 21st century and got on line and began to search more actively for a scope, always coming up a day late or a dollar short.
    But that all ended last Thursday when I found me a 4x scope made by the Nippon Typewriter Co. for my rifle. I took it down to show my dad today and he laughed about how his former rifle was sporting a scope that cost almost 80 times what he had paid for it.
    So without further ado, here is my latest Sniper

(Note, the gun shop got the caliber wrong on the receipt)

://s220.photobucket.com/user/m1llertime/media/DSCI0023_1.jpg.html]
    DSCI0023_1.jpg
    [/URL]

Last edited:

plinker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    SE
    My dad has this identical rifle. He has had it longer than he has had me(44 yrs). Any idea of the value?

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Nice rifle! I had to google the significance of the ground off crysanthemum on the receiver. If only it could talk.....

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Man, that's an aggressively right handed rifle. I guess the Japanese didn't employee any left handed soldiers as sharpshooters.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Very nice, I'd love to have one. I was offered a pretty good deal on a take down paratrooper last year but didn't pick it up. Kinda wish I had.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Wow what a great story! Must be a pretty great dad to inspire you to go to such great lengths to fulfill his vision!!! Had a couple Arisaka's years ago nothing near as neat as yours.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Cool story, MillerTyme! Glad you were able to complete it, and it only took 39 years! :yesway::yesway::yesway: With the offset scope mount, how well does it point?

It points nicely John, I am going to look for another stock to put it in for range trips. I have 200 rounds of Norma ammo in 7.7 Japanese and this thing is just itching to have some range time.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Very nice Arisaka sniper Miller Tyme! Great story to go with it as well. I think you'll love shooting it as it is a little (very little) tamer then the Mosin. Once you get it dialed in you may be amazed at the groupings.

My dad captured one in the Pacific in 1944 and brought it home. In all the years that followed it had never been fired since it had been fired at him. My dad passed in '84 and for all of the years prior and following it still had never been cleaned or fired. Last spring I brought it out disassembled it and cleaned, lubed and thoroughly inspected it. I was lucky in finding one box of Norma 7.7 x 58. Took it out to the range and ran half of the box through it. It was amazing to shoot, and accurate as anything I've ever fired. Amazing factoid, the Arisaka type 99 was the first battlefield rifle to feature a chrome lined barrel. The barrel of mine still has a mirror finish.

Wish the heck I could find more ammo for mine. I know you can reload 30.06 after a little work on the casings, but I refuse to load it with reloads. If you know of a source for the Norma 7.7 I'd sincerely appreciate knowing of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice Arisaka sniper Miller Tyme! Great story to go with it as well. I think you'll love shooting it as it is a little (very little) tamer then the Mosin. Once you get it dialed in you may be amazed at the groupings.

My dad captured one in the Pacific in 1944 and brought it home. In all the years that followed it had never been fired since it had been fired at him. My dad passed in '84 and for all of the years prior and following it still had never been cleaned or fired. Last spring I brought it out disassembled it and cleaned, lubed and thoroughly inspected it. I was lucky in finding one box of Norma 7.7 x 58. Took it out to the range and ran half of the box through it. It was amazing to shoot, and accurate as anything I've ever fired. Amazing factoid, the Arisaka type 99 was the first battlefield rifle to feature a chrome lined barrel. The barrel of mine still has a mirror finish.

Wish the heck I could find more ammo for mine. I know you can reload 30.06 after a little work on the casings, but I refuse to load it with reloads. If you know of a source for the Norma 7.7 I'd sincerely appreciate knowing of it.

Not sure about Norma, but you might try Mr. Nambu... Mac's Guns (mrnambu) Japanase and German militaria (Nambu Arisaka WWII Japanese  German Mauser  98k k98  Japanese T99 T14 T94 T38 nambu, arisaka, mauser, slings, ammunition)

Top Bottom