• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Well its finally finished! I am now the proud owner of my first rifle and to boot I built it myself.

Literally the first AR platform gun I shot was at the 2013 NFA day where I shot one of Profire's suppressed M16 (what a way to be introduced to a new platform :yesway: ). Anyway after sampling a few rifles that day I ended up falling in love with the shooting characteristics of bigcraig's AR. I knew at that point I wanted to get a mid length gas system AR with a 16" barrel to avoid all the NFA details for the time being. I wanted a simple rifle I would not be afraid to use or teach other shooters on. A basic keep it simple, high quality, reliable rifle.

Well since my wife and I are working on some financial details I decided that dropping 1K+ on a rifle was out of the question but she supported me saving little by little and building a rifle paying for a part when we had the money. Well after 2 years its complete and was paid for completely by our spare change jar. We named the AR "Penny". Most all the parts were bought on trips my wife and I took together and have a story. It also signifies financial freedom to us by not relying on an credit cards now and working towards a better life.

The build is as follows:
    Anderson Manufacturing Lower receiver
    BCM 16" upper mid length
    BCM charging handle
    BCM Mod 0 compensator
    BCM BCG
    CMMG lower parts kit
    Magpul MOE furniture/CRT Stock in Foliage (couldn't do a basic black rifle)
    CMMG Buffer tube
    Magpul ASAP OD endplate
    Magpul BAD lever
    Magpul rear sight

I want to thank Chad and crew US Defense Solutions the support and help I received during the build. I would also like to thank Ann Arbor Arms for their help when I need a few spare parts and tempting me for a high end build in the future.

I have only ran about 100 rounds through it at this point but it has run flawless. I need to get it out to a real range with some distance (no more indoor) and get it sighted in. Hoping to run some classes with it next year and add an Aimpoint PRO when money permits.

Thanks also to INGO for the wealth of knowledge on this forum which i spent a lot of time researching during the build.
    :ingo:

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4369.JPG FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Good for you. You did well on your first EBR. Go have fun with it. When you gain more financial freedom you'll want to build another

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That is a glorious story! A rifle paid for by saving instead of borrowing, one you and your wife built together instead of you buying it on the sly and hiding it from her like some dirty secret. Sharp looking rifle too!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Dave Ramsey would be proud of you!! Good looking rifle on a tight budget even better. Now comes the hard part feeding Penny! Keep her on a diet and you should be fine but if you really start feeding her she will eat you out of house and home!!:):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Congratulations! And that's the way to do it...in the open and out of debt. I have never borrowed money to buy a weapon; though I have bought weapons from folks who have. They were generally selling them to pay the bills they had run up. You are on a good path.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    nice build. looks great! I like that furniture, and all quality components.

now... just to add a
    14.5 pinned AR
    18" rifle gas AR
    20-24" varmint AR
    piston setup
    other calibers... and on and on
    (over time of course)

Seriously great build, enjoy it!!! You'll probably find that ARs tend to breed and you'll end up with a few others laying around.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    That is a glorious story! A rifle paid for by saving instead of borrowing, one you and your wife built together instead of you buying it on the sly and hiding it from her like some dirty secret. Sharp looking rifle too!

My wife is amazing and she like to go shoot also so its not really like she is against firearms. I recall being on a business trip and finding the lower parts kit. I didn't bring any of the cash with me so I called my wife to ask her to deposit the money in the bank so I could use the debit card for the kit. She told me only if we made love when I got home. :@ya: :yesway:

Dave Ramsey would be proud of you!! Good looking rifle on a tight budget even better. Now comes the hard part feeding Penny! Keep her on a diet and you should be fine but if you really start feeding her she will eat you out of house and home!!:):

Actually he would likely say to only eat beans and rice and forget having any fun :(. I was on the lookout for good deals the whole time like the BCM black friday sale when I got the upper with the BCG and comp for free.

Congratulations! And that's the way to do it...in the open and out of debt. I have never borrowed money to buy a weapon; though I have bought weapons from folks who have. They were generally selling them to pay the bills they had run up. You are on a good path.

Thanks for the encouragement Thor. Looking forward to the day the all the debts are done and I don't have to think about the price of ammo or building up something. But I made mistakes as did my wife in the financial process but strangely this challenge has strengthened our relationship because we are working towards a common goal.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Just remember. Saving for what you want makes it that much better. I pay for my rifles and handguns with my credit card to get the rewards then I immediately pay it off. A lot of times I will pay the money to the card THEN buy it. My next adventure is a Remington 700. I have the open money on the credit card, but I am saving for it first. Best of both worlds. Get the rewards, don't go further into debt for it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Nice looking AR, Congrats on your first one OP. Now get those mags loaded an take that thing to the range!!!!! Nothing at all wrong with a budget friendly AR for your first one, out of all the ARs I have I seem to always shoot the one that I have the least in ;).

Top Bottom