• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought my 10/22 about 2 years ago. It's the bottom end blued barrel and black synthetic stock. I had a bit of a task getting the swivel studs installed into that plastic, but they're secure and functional. For my son's 14th birthday, I'm giving him a new 10/22 with the black synthetic stock, but a stainless barrel. The 2 days after his birthday, we're going to Appleseed at MCFG.

So he's a bit spoiled here. I've already gotten with Allen, who has supplied two Crossfire scopes, ring sets, and extended bases for our rifles. I have a total of 8 10 round magazines, and two 25 round. I bought slings from the Appleseed store, and ordered the studs for his rifle and swivels for both. Gonna be a great day.

So, here's the surprise. I thought I was ordering the stainless version of my rifle, and that other than the obvious, they'd be identical. I picked it up from USDS last night, and to my surprise, the stock is swivel ready! I've looked on Ruger's site, and a couple other places and I don't see this specification anywhere. I'm pretty pleased and can't wait for July to come around!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Double check the strength of the studs in that plastic. You are going to put a LOT of lateral stress on the front mount especially. If possible I would reinforce them with epoxy. I'd hate to see you with a broken sling halfway through the event.

I was warned about that when I considered buying a used plastic stock and mentioned adding studs to it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking that, but they boy can't open a ketchup bottle, so I'm not real concerned about the force he'll put on them. The drill and the studs are going to be in the car though as a backup. I might call Ruger and ask if they have any internal reinforcements.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was thinking that, but they boy can't open a ketchup bottle, so I'm not real concerned about the force he'll put on them. The drill and the studs are going to be in the car though as a backup. I might call Ruger and ask if they have any internal reinforcements.

As I recall, looking at my stock I considered filling the area inside around where I drilled (afterward) with Epoxy to give it a solid block of material to attach to instead of that 1/4" or so of plastic it screwed into. I think the forend of those nylon stocks are pretty much hollow with some reinforcing ribs. that the barrel rests on.

He'll be using his entire arm as leverage, thats why I mentioned it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v6S36OSmGRA/T4wbQMZ2JgI/AAAAAAAAGfo/AfYJkwMvGLQ/s1600/IMG_3279.jpg

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    As I recall, looking at my stock I considered filling the area inside around where I drilled (afterward) with Epoxy to give it a solid block of material to attach to instead of that 1/4" or so of plastic it screwed into. I think the forend of those nylon stocks are pretty much hollow with some reinforcing ribs. that the barrel rests on.

He'll be using his entire arm as leverage, thats why I mentioned it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v6S36OSmGRA/T4wbQMZ2JgI/AAAAAAAAGfo/AfYJkwMvGLQ/s1600/IMG_3279.jpg

I drilled my buddies plastic 10/22 stock for him. I used the standard wood screw studs, and put some JB plastic weld on the inside of the stock like you said. It held up to his first appleseed just fine.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's what I did with mine. Wood thread in the front, then covered with epoxy. The rear, put the machine screw in but used a bigger nut so it have leverage about 1/4" above the hole. Then filled the space around it with epoxy. It's pretty solid. Most of what I read from others was that the studs would eventually wallow around and become loose. That's why I'm happy I don't have to drill his. But, if mine ever do, there's plenty of aftermarket stocks (Houge has a nice one) with studs built in. In fact, I might just buy one and throw it in the car for AS. Then if his, or mine break, it's a 5 minute swap.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Are the swivels good for the 1" cotton sling? Some I've found are kind of tight.

Sounds like an awesome day! Sounds like you have all of the proper gear except.....

A CAMERA!!!!
    Have fun guys!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom