Planning for the next AR... 6.5 Grendal?...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hey fellas looking for some info from those of you that either shoot or have shot the 6.5 Grendal caliber from your AR platform. I just finished up the latest AR build and currently looking to the next one Like most of us ;). I've always thought about doing one in the 6.5 but it never really took off due to me needing other AR for a specific purpose so it was always put on the back burner. But now that I have pretty much all bases covered, Id like to do one of these. Any advice on the build itself? parts to look into or parts to avoid? Any advice appreciated, Thanks fellas!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Get a real Grendel chamber. There are a lot of out of specs. Precision Firearms, Lilja, and a few others are selling spec chambers. Read up over at 65grendel.com. great round and easy to shoot...good luck and welcome to the club

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I did some reading on the round last night. Do you fire form your own brass? One of the benefits I seen with the Grendal was the availability of factory match ammo (I do handload but my time is limited as most of us) So the benefit of factory brass an such is very appealing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    IIRC, a 6.5 spec'd lower has a tad bigger magwell to fit the cartridge better. Not sure how hard they are to come buy.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    No such thing as a 6.5 spec lower that I know it's f at the moment. I know there was talk on the 6.5 forums of sourcing a maker to invent on, I think it was based on allowing the use of poly mags...
    anyways just use a standard ar lower and you'll be fine. The AA upper would be a great one, and I have heard great this about the PF rifles. I have a Lilja barrel on a PSA upper with a Troy 15" alpha. All dropped on a PSA lower I built.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    No such thing as a 6.5 spec lower that I know it's f at the moment. I know there was talk on the 6.5 forums of sourcing a maker to invent on, I think it was based on allowing the use of poly mags...
    anyways just use a standard ar lower and you'll be fine. The AA upper would be a great one, and I have heard great this about the PF rifles. I have a Lilja barrel on a PSA upper with a Troy 15" alpha. All dropped on a PSA lower I built.

Awesome thanks for the info. That make me feel a little better since the upper will run $900 lol that I can use a standard lower.

Top Bottom