• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I'm looking for a DMR style scope for my 308 AR build. Must be under 20 oz and under $500. Uses will be everything from quick close shots while hunting or out to a few hunderd yards at the range. Right now I'm looking at the Vortex crossfire 2 v-brite or the new Strike Eagle. Any others that should be on my radar?

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Pretty sure I've seen websites say the eagle is out. I could have misunderstood. Actually I'm still waiting on the receivers still So no big hurry.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im sure you have seen websites saying the Strikeeagle is out, and in stock. They are trying to sell you something, and as soon as you order you will get a message saying something like "Item is now backordered"

Fact is, Vortex wont have them for a few months. Dealers cant get them until Vortex does no matter what they put on their website. I cant begin to tell you how many people Ived talked to in the last few weeks saying "x vendor has them". I tell them to order it, and if it arives Ill give them 5x what they paid. Funny thing is no one has called back to collect.

ETA on the Strikeeagle is late summer.

What makes the PST better for starter is availability. Second would be glass quality. The rest is going to have to wait on testing the strikeeagle, but Im fairly confident the PST will be more durable.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I love my Burris MTAC, but the BDC is for 5.56, so that might not work for you. I'm not sure if they make a .308 reticle.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ah well then my mistake! If I decide to go Vortex (which I probably will) you know Ill come to you just like my other two Vortex purchases!
    Im sure you have seen websites saying the Strikeeagle is out, and in stock. They are trying to sell you something, and as soon as you order you will get a message saying something like "Item is now backordered"

Fact is, Vortex wont have them for a few months. Dealers cant get them until Vortex does no matter what they put on their website. I cant begin to tell you how many people Ived talked to in the last few weeks saying "x vendor has them". I tell them to order it, and if it arives Ill give them 5x what they paid. Funny thing is no one has called back to collect.

What makes the PST better for starter is availability. Second would be glass quality. The rest is going to have to wait on testing the strikeeagle, but Im fairly confident the PST will be more durable.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The 1-4x24 MTAC has 1/2 moa clicks for elevation and windage. The reticle is a BDC calibrated for 5.56.

I can't speak for the rest of the MTAC line, just the 1-4 as that's the one I have and use. It's very comparable to the Vortex PST 1-4. Between the two, I'd say figure out which reticle you like more and go with it. They've both got a lot of satisfied customers.

Only thing about the MTAC and the SWFA is they are mrad and I am not familiar with that system. All my other scopes are moa.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I love my Burris MTAC, but the BDC is for 5.56, so that might not work for you. I'm not sure if they make a .308 reticle.

I'm not of a fan of a BDC reticles in general, and favor something with consistent stadia lIke a mildot. The reason being is a bdc is only calibrated for one specific load, at one velocity, in one atmospheric condition. And being that the MTAC is a sfp, it only works in one power setting. With a mildot, you can figure out exactly what your rifle needs at different distances, rather than going off the manufactures guess. This is where I would give an edge to the SWFA someone suggested over the Burris or even Vortex's TMC. I'm not sure why, but most 1x4 scopes I've been around have had some sort of clunky reticle (even my old Nightforce with the FC2), but the MTAC reticle is my least favorite. The only BDC type reticle I've liked were in the Trijicon ACOG's, because they are really well thought out and intuitive to use. If I were dead set on a bdc, I would prefer something like an Eotech where I could calibrate the dots to my rifle, and add a magnifier if needed.

Personally, when I think of a DMR, something in the 2.5-8 or 10 range comes to mind. Like what the USMC uses on the M14 DMR (MK4 TS30). Since you already have some Vortex stuff, their 2.5X10x32 would be perfect for that rifle. Then you would have an MOA / MOA setup (if that's what you prefer), and a much cleaner reticle with their EBR.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Only thing about the MTAC and the SWFA is they are mrad and I am not familiar with that system. All my other scopes are moa.

Milliradians are much easier to measure an angle than MOA in my opinion, since they are in graduations of 10, thus making easier math. And if the reason you prefer MOA is because you use IPHY (inches pre hundred yards), you can substitute that for .3 MRAD's. Most MRAD scopes use 1 click = .1 MRAD, so if your 1 inch low at 100 yards, you need to adjust 3 clicks.

The best explanation of how to use milliradians is the Ryan Cleckner YouTube series. I highly recommend watching the entire series, and guarantee you'll learn something.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was seriously looking at the Burris MTAC setup but I don't really like that 11" length plus I think it is more scope than I really need for my everyday range plinking (no competition and no hunting). I'm more interested in a good, quality scope to help me see the targets better but I don't really think I need a high dollar optic for my purposes. 1-4x seems to be a good choice for me since I won't be shooting any further than 150 yds..

I found this scope and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? I like the 9" length and the reviews seem pretty good but the low price tag has me worried.

Bushnell 1-4x24 AR Optics 30mm Rifle Scope & Mount Kit | SWFA

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Typically, I agree. I dislike BDC reticles for the same reasons as you (only calibrated to one load, only the manufacturers best guess, etc...). All of my other scopes on rifles are plex, mil-dot, or some type of MOA-dot.

But for my AR, the MTAC works great. I'm not using it for precision work (I've got a bolt gun for that). I'm using my AR for run and gun and plinking. And the MTAC reticle is minute of pie plate for all of the rounds I've tried so far. It's fast to pick up and works well for what I use it for.

For a guy building a dedicated DMR style AR, a mil-dot reticle would probably make sense. But for a DMR, I'd probably be looking at 2-8 or 10X type scopes. OP, why are you needing 1x on the bottom end for a DMR rifle?

I'm not of a fan of a BDC reticles in general, and favor something with consistent stadia lIke a mildot. The reason being is a bdc is only calibrated for one specific load, at one velocity, in one atmospheric condition. And being that the MTAC is a sfp, it only works in one power setting. With a mildot, you can figure out exactly what your rifle needs at different distances, rather than going off the manufactures guess. This is where I would give an edge to the SWFA someone suggested over the Burris or even Vortex's TMC. I'm not sure why, but most 1x4 scopes I've been around have had some sort of clunky reticle (even my old Nightforce with the FC2), but the MTAC reticle is my least favorite. The only BDC type reticle I've liked were in the Trijicon ACOG's, because they are really well thought out and intuitive to use. If I were dead set on a bdc, I would prefer something like an Eotech where I could calibrate the dots to my rifle, and add a magnifier if needed.

Personally, when I think of a DMR, something in the 2.5-8 or 10 range comes to mind. Like what the USMC uses on the M14 DMR (MK4 TS30). Since you already have some Vortex stuff, their 2.5X10x32 would be perfect for that rifle. Then you would have an MOA / MOA setup (if that's what you prefer), and a much cleaner reticle with their EBR.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis

With the Vortex Warranty it makes the Strike Eagle tempting compared to the PST.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ill agree with that. Fact is I dont even know where I will personally land between the two. Once I see what it takes to break one Ill know more.

I always like what you have to say about Vortex as it's my proffered brand so keep us posted- especially when you have them available and the price breakdown.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I always like what you have to say about Vortex as it's my proffered brand so keep us posted- especially when you have them available and the price breakdown.

Price will be 329. I'm not messing with backorder's on these, but if you want to email me at alan@aaoptics.com you can ask to be put on my notification list for when they land.

Top Bottom