• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    So I was offered a Winchester Model 70 in a trade and was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on the Model 70. From my research, I have found that pre 64 is what is best with the controlled round feed, but that is about all I know..Help me out INGO :ingo:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Year of manufacture, condition, caliber, and photos would be helpful.
    Yes, the pre '64 versions are the most prized versions, especially the pre-WWII vintage ones.
    However, Winchester seemed to have largely corrected their error by the 1990s by greatly improving the quality and appearance of them.
    There's another thread here in which a guy shows himself shooting one of the current FNH manufactured model 70s.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hester-model-70-308-a.html?highlight=model+70

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Well of course the other guy stopped responding (probably for the night) before giving any real information but he has sparked my interest now. They seem like something I might want to have

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If it's pre-64 or FNH manufactured, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't touch the other years unless it was a silly good deal.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know collectors get crazy about tradition, but if you are looking about functionality of a machine with no emotional involvment, pre-64 does not mean anything.

Pre -64 the bolt head space was hand fit, mostly due to the fact that the manufacturing equipment could not hold close enough tolerance. After the equipment was better, that was not needed. It was not like they shipped thousands of rifles that were out of spec. People just decided that mass produced must not be as good as one fit by a fine gunsmith. Of course the "hand fit" ones were fit by production line workers who may have only been hired yesterday.

The conrolled round feeding and extraction, (like a mauser) is over rated in my book. When was the last time you needed to work a bolt action hanging upside down? The push feed models worked flawlessly. I pumped several different push feed Winchesters in rapid fire events against semi automatics for years in National Match competition. I NEVER, EVER called for an alibi because my rifle misfeed. Almost every rapid fire event had someone call an alibi because their AR did not work. (even when I shot an AR my stuff worked too)

The extractors even on the "lesser desired" push feed Winchesters are superior to the Remington bolt actions also. Far stronger, makes a lot more contact with the brass, and unlike the Remington part, no one has ever seen one fail on during a match. Most serious bolt gunners have the Rem bolts modified to a SAKO extractor that functions like the Winchester push feed system. Even after shooting out 2 or 3 barrels on my across the course model 70 push feeder, I never even changed the spring, and the extractor never failed.

Model 70's are good actions, no matter what the year and model.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I know collectors get crazy about tradition, but if you are looking about functionality of a machine with no emotional involvment, pre-64 does not mean anything.

Pre -64 the bolt head space was hand fit, mostly due to the fact that the manufacturing equipment could not hold close enough tolerance. After the equipment was better, that was not needed. It was not like they shipped thousands of rifles that were out of spec. People just decided that mass produced must not be as good as one fit by a fine gunsmith. Of course the "hand fit" ones were fit by production line workers who may have only been hired yesterday.

The conrolled round feeding and extraction, (like a mauser) is over rated in my book. When was the last time you needed to work a bolt action hanging upside down? The push feed models worked flawlessly. I pumped several different push feed Winchesters in rapid fire against semi automatics for years in National Match competition. I NEVER, EVER called for an alibi because my rifle misfeed. Almost every rapid fire event had someone call an alibi because their AR did not work. (even when I shot an AR my stuff worked too)

The extractors even on the "lesser desired" push feed Winchesters are superior to the Remington bolt actions also. Far stronger, makes a lot more contact with the brass, and unlike the Remington part, no one has ever seen one fail on during a match. Most serious bolt gunners have the Rem bolts modified to a SAKO extractor that functions like the Winchester push feed system.

Model 70's are good actions, no matter what the year and model.
    This is the straight story. I have all major actions. My go to bolt gun is my mid 80s Winchester 70 in .243. Pencil barrel lightweight, laminated stock. Rifles just don't shoot or function any better than this.
    I think in the trade part that Caliber might have a part to play in the value of the rifle to be traded.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Like harry said, some calibers can be undesireable. I cannot see myself with any of the WSSM offerings, I am just not willing to work that hard or pay that much for odd caliber brass. That is partially why I sold my .340 Weatherby, $85.00 for 20 rounds.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    I love the knowledge we have here on INGO. While there are MANY guns I don't know too much about I can always learn something from the people here. As for the one in the trade, I have found out that it is a G2 serial number (which means '91 or '92) I believe and is chambered in 270wsm. Knowing the bit I do, that research saying 91-92 must be wrong if this gun was produced in 270wsm as the round has not been used for that long..

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I love the knowledge we have here on INGO. While there are MANY guns I don't know too much about I can always learn something from the people here. As for the one in the trade, I have found out that it is a G2 serial number (which means '91 or '92) I believe and is chambered in 270wsm. Knowing the bit I do, that research saying 91-92 must be wrong if this gun was produced in 270wsm as the round has not been used for that long..

Yeah, 270 WSM would not be 91 or 92.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm a reloader, but I'd still pass on such an oddball caliber, especially since it's clear that this was a rebarreled/rechambered rifle, even if the rifle were nice, as I believe the early 90s model 70s were.
    Just keep looking for one in a more common caliber to your liking.

Top Bottom