Got the itch to shoot at things far away...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Goal: Develop the skills and equipment to be able to strike a reasonable sized target, with some repeatability, at the distance of 1000 yards. This is intended to be a study/education on the overall experience of learning to achieve what seems to many as a nearly impossible task. I know that talented people are doing this all the time, but coming from the handgun world, it really amazes me that this is possible (I hope).

Equipment: So far I have a rifle. Rem. 700 VSF in .308. (1 in 12) I did quite a bit of research and came to terms with this one. For optics, I'm planning on the Primary Arms 4-14x44 mil.mil. (once they come available).

Experience: Virtually none. I have two 3 lb coffee cans full of spent primers from handgun reloading and shooting over the years. I have only shot any rifle on the rare occasion. I own a few rifles of different calibers, some have never even been shot.

I wanted stainless, heavy barrel, and a rem. 700. I kicked around many options, and as usual I found that there was an endless price range. I decided to set a $1500.00 budget for my first "sniper rifle", so here we are. After spending the last month reading around this forum and searching online, I decided to post here in the search for feedback. It doesn't seem likely that that will be an issue here :):.

Barrel break in: Research makes me believe I can use cheap ball ammo with the shoot once, clean once x times - shoot 10 times, clean once x times and so on. One article actually suggests not to do a break in if the thing is reasonable accurate out of the box. Anybody here ever gone without an actual breaking routine on a new barrel?

Thanks in advance.

I have reloading questions I will post in the appropriate forum.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You might want hold off on the expensive rifle until after you've attended some basic rifle training. Project Appleseed is a perfect way to start your rifle shooting career. Most Appleseeds are shot at 25 meters with .22LR rifles, although any rifle caliber allowed by the host range is welcome. What you learn at 25 meters is exactly the same knowledge you need to consistently hit a target at any distance. There are several options for attending an Appleseed in your area, just check out the schedule found here ... Appleseed - Search States for an Event ... Select any state for information on scheduled Appleseed events.

After you've attended a "regular" Appleseed, the next step is to attend a KD Appleseed and apply what you've learned at Know Distances.

An Appleseed weekend currently cost $60 to attend. For a mere $120, and two weekends of your time, you'll know if long range rifle shooting is for you or not. I'm guessing from what you've wrote, you'll be shooting long distance rifles for a loooong time to come.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I was reading about the Appleseed events just the other day. Somebody had posted about it here and I had to go look it up. I love the concept, but scheduling may be tough. The October one in Nappanee has some promise. I just don't know if I can refrain from playing with the new toys until then... The idea of working on technique with a 22 makes perfect sense though. Thanks.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If your rifle budget is $1500, then SERIOUSLY take a look at a FN SPR A1 from Tactical Coordination.

I'd also highly recommend a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, and if stainless/700/1000 yards is your wheelhouse, a 24" 700 5R.

The Primary Arms is decent and capable at its price point, but if 1000 yards you probably won't be terribly happy with its clarity or light gathering...especially if there is much mirage. Not a bad place to start, however...but I'd rather have a high end optic and budget rifle than a high end rifle and budget optic. YMMV.

As for M80 in a precision rifle...just, no. Get a case of 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match, or if money is an issue look at SSA or Fiocchi 175gr Match ammo.

Barrel break-in? Run a patch down the barrel before shooting. Shoot until accuracy goes away. Deep clean all carbon and copper from barrel. Rinse/repeat as necessary.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    The gun is a done deal, though I wish I knew about the FN earlier. I like that it's made in the US. My reasons for looking at the PA scope are that it's getting really good reviews and it's crazy cheap. It meets my criteria for starting out.

I went looking for the 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match on line... Not so much luck. I'll have to see what I can find.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll second taking an Appleseed even if it's just day 1 and not the entire weekend.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I haven't broken in a barrel with anything other that just shooting it, in probably 100 barrels.

Break in is a great way to avoid actually shooting but actually shooting is the best way to get your skills up.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't broken in a barrel with anything other that just shooting it, in probably 100 barrels.

Break in is a great way to avoid actually shooting but actually shooting is the best way to get your skills up.

Agreed. Shoot it then shoot it some more. That factory Remington tube will likely take a couple hundred rounds down the pipe before it reveals its potential.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Look up sniper 101 on YouTube. A lot of good information to be had. He goes way into the science of shooting. A little too much sometimes but it's very interesting. The one on scope selection was very helpful. It seems like a lot of videos to watch but most of them you can just listen to the audio. I plug my phone into my truck and just listen. Watch the data usage though.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Ok, I find that I enjoy listening to the Sniper 101 guy. He's a good speaker. To be honest I'm glad to hear so many of you have not embraced the break in methods I have been reading about. So for now, it's optics research, ammo search, and the first steps of deciding what components to begin loading with...

Thanks for the input!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My advice is be prepared to send a lot of projectiles downrange. I am on the same journey as you just slightly further along on the path (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/375948-my-dream-long-range-precision-rig.html). Consistency at 1,000 yds takes a ton of shooting. $1,500 for a rifle is great, but it's gonna take 1,500+ rounds to get close to consistency with wind and environmental calls. So just be prepared for the long journey. I enjoyed Ryan Pahl's YouTube series called Road to Precision. Absolutely, 1,000%, get into reloading. You can make match grade ammo better and cheaper. So good luck to you. There's a lot of sage wisdom on this site. :ingo:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    My advice is be prepared to send a lot of projectiles downrange. I am on the same journey as you just slightly further along on the path (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/375948-my-dream-long-range-precision-rig.html). Consistency at 1,000 yds takes a ton of shooting. $1,500 for a rifle is great, but it's gonna take 1,500+ rounds to get close to consistency with wind and environmental calls. So just be prepared for the long journey. I enjoyed Ryan Pahl's YouTube series called Road to Precision. Absolutely, 1,000%, get into reloading. You can make match grade ammo better and cheaper. So good luck to you. There's a lot of sage wisdom on this site. :ingo:

I just went through your thread. That rifle sure looks nice! How do you like the current scope? I have yet to purchase and the Primary Arms scope I was thinking of is not available for another month, and I sure like the idea of the 50mm. To be honest, 1000 yards is something I hope to work up to. I'm very intent on developing skills at 100 yards first, the longer shots will have to come with time as I develop (I hope). The journey is what intrigues me... I have spent quite a bit of time watching that same series, very enjoyable. As far as reloading goes, that was a forgone conclusion. Just starting to do the research on equipment and components for that.

Thanks for the input, it's all appreciated!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I just went through your thread. That rifle sure looks nice! How do you like the current scope? I have yet to purchase and the Primary Arms scope I was thinking of is not available for another month, and I sure like the idea of the 50mm. To be honest, 1000 yards is something I hope to work up to. I'm very intent on developing skills at 100 yards first, the longer shots will have to come with time as I develop (I hope). The journey is what intrigues me... I have spent quite a bit of time watching that same series, very enjoyable. As far as reloading goes, that was a forgone conclusion. Just starting to do the research on equipment and components for that.

Love the new scope. Super crisp, and I like the reticle way better than the standard mil-dot. A Mil'd my fence at 44 yds :rockwoot:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I know you're in Lake Co., but we have a guy, right here on INGO, Alan AA Optics .....

Give him a try, on the scope..... If he doesn't have what you want or need, he will send you in the right direction .....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Next I think the search for the right stock begins.

What's your budget? I think the offerings from XLR Industries are hard to beat for their quality and adjustability. Fitting the stock to the shooter reaps significant benefits when consistency is the goal. Consistency = accuracy.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    Do you have private land to get to 1,000? I bought a Barrett M99 50 several years ago but haven't gotten to playwith it beyond 300.

darren

Top Bottom