• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Ive been looking for the best value deer hunting slug. Theres quite a few but i dont know which one to try. Im looking for a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch slug in 1 or 1 1/4 ounce. What do you think i should try?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Try a variety, different guns like different ammo.

The two slug guns I've ever used always liked Lightfields the best

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd suggest buying the cheapest ones you can find and see how accurate they are. Work your way up from there. The design of the projectile isn't a big factor. They all go a good job as long as you put it in the right place.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    For the cheap ones we always had the best luck with just sluggers and brenneke ko's. as for sabot slugs i've only ever used accutips.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I had pretty good luck with regular Winchester foster slugs. The lead is a little harder than Remington Sluggers and the diameter must of been larger also cause they always shot better in my Remington smooth bore barrel. The Federal true ball slugs shot very accurate also out of my barrel. Shot one or two deer with them but I wasn't impressed with the penetration I got with them.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Ive been looking for the best value deer hunting slug. Theres quite a few but i dont know which one to try. Im looking for a 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch slug in 1 or 1 1/4 ounce. What do you think i should try?
    Thinking through this, since you are talking about slugs of that mass, you must be talking about rifled slugs for use in a smooth barrel. I have tried a lot and although they seem gimmicky, the Federal Truball are the real deal. Very accurate in my experience. If it werent for their superior accuracy, in my guns at least, i would agree with others and say Brennekes are good as are remington sluggers. The truball outperforms them in my Benelli significantly.

Last year i used Hornady Sst slugs to replace my win XP3 slugs and im switching back this year. I am used to deer dropping within 5 yards from the xp3 slugs and the two deer i shot this year made it around 40 each. Lots of damage, both double lung shots, like im used to, but the xp3 through both lungs seems to provide more hydrostatic shock value and immediate stop. Lastly, i had a hornady sst fail to fire on a buck the last day i hunted. I have a picture of it with a dimple in the primer. I went back and shot some slugs to see if it was the gun and i had no further problems. Never had a light strike with any other shell either. Sst were very accurate, but no thanks.

Top Bottom