• ...and so much more!
  • derek17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Newtown, IN
    Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a new Rifle. However I cannot decide what caliber or model to get. I already have a basic 22lr, tactical 12 gauge, and a 17hmr. Here are a few options on my mind.

New scoped 22lr or 22mag. I squirrel hunt and I would pass the old marlin over to my wife. My biggest concern is trying to find the ammo.

Scoped bolt action rifle. I was thinking either 223 or 308. I'm leaning towards the 223 due to the cost and availability of ammo as well as being able to hunt coyotes.

Can someone help me decide or persuade me on which to buy and give me a good reason?

Thank you,

Derek

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    These are two very different calibers. It sounds like hunting is one criteria. I'm old fashioned, it's hard to beat a 30 cal for hunting. Though I have never hunted coyotes, the 223 sounds a little light for my liking. My money is on somebody chiming in who has actually killed a coyote with one.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you go 22 buy a 10/22 it's great for squirrels and you just won't regret it! As far as getting a bolt 223 or 308, that depends on many variables on which I would choose!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sounds like you need an AR15 to me. They are excellent versatile rifles, and the .223 caliber is what I choose all the time for coyote hunting. (I tried my 30-06 on a coyote once, and while it certainly dropped him, the hide was toast and there was a massive exit wound, much bigger than necessary.)

It is a buyers market for AR's right now, due to the flood of them sold during the last "gun control" scare, and they are extremely easy to self service and work on.

derek17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Newtown, IN
    AR would be a plus. But I'm only looking to spend around 500. I haven't seen an AR that cheap for a few years now. If someone could direct me to one I would definitely go that route. As for primary use I would use the 22 more than the other options. However I can not seem to find ammo. I hate that I can't go do my weekly shopping and pick up some 22 ammo as I'm in town. Are you guys able to find any? Thanks for all the replies!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    AR would be a plus. But I'm only looking to spend around 500. I haven't seen an AR that cheap for a few years now. If someone could direct me to one I would definitely go that route. As for primary use I would use the 22 more than the other options. However I can not seem to find ammo. I hate that I can't go do my weekly shopping and pick up some 22 ammo as I'm in town. Are you guys able to find any? Thanks for all the replies!

Right now PSA has "rifle kits" minus the lower receiver for under $500.
    Add the receiver and build it yourself. You'll have a brand new AR15 for well under $600 (not far off your budget).

I like the .22mag round, but it's not nearly as utilitarian as the .223, not to mention .22mag is EXPENSIVE!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay so if you really want to go with a AR then S&W sell around here for right around $500-$600. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...71969/S&W+M&P15+Sport+30+1+223REM5.56NATO+16" If you decide to go with a bolt action then I would check out Ruger all american ranch The Ruger American Rifle® Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Models they are only MSRP $499 and will handle both 223/5.56 rounds (so whichever is cheaper when you buy ammo) it also comes threaded so if ever decide to enter the ultra cool world of suppressers, you are ahead of the game. Midwayusa.com has lots of 22LR last time I checked.

Checkout who's got 22LR here Find 22 LR Ammo in stock at lowest prices | WikiArms AmmoEngine

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If there is Rural King nearby keep an eye on their ads. Just a couple weeks ago they had S&W M&P Sports on sale for right at $500, a few months ago they had DPMS Oracles for about $475.

And, yeah, 22 mag is more expensive than bulk 223. Last 22 mag I picked up was $14/50, last 223 I bought was $29/120.

derek17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Newtown, IN
    So I do have it down to either an AR or bolt action 223. Looking to shoot no further than 250 yards. Im not big into customization as I am accuracy and longevity. I feel the bolt will be my best option as they are more simple. There's just something about an AR. So basically I could get a pretty basic AR that maxes my budget or I could get a decent boltgun topped with a nice scope for about the same price. Decisions decisions.

I've been looking at some cheaper rifles but Ive never handled either. One is the Savage Axis and its variants or the Ruger American. They both are cheap and budget rifles. Are they nice or should I be better off paying more for a new m700 or savage model 110?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Really, about any rifle would work. I think you're on the right track, save some $ by getting something with a plain finish and spend a little extra on the glass, the yotes won't care how pretty your rifle is anyway.
    You'll need to decide a few things on what you want and go from there. A few examples: safety location (tang, trigger guard, etc) stock (wood, synthetic), detachable or fixed mag, etc, etc. Then you need to see how they "feel" and if they point naturally for you. Your best bet would be to visit a shop or 3 and see what you like that's in your price range.
    IMHO I don't see much of an advantage in getting the higher end models unless its for appearance. Even the less expensive rifles shoot plenty accurate for hunting and casual target shooting. Another thing for me, anyways, is I feel less guilty about taking a lower cost rifle out in the woods and weather. It doesn't near as much when it gets banged on a rock or gets wet and develops a speck of rust.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do yourself a favor. Before you choose, take a close look at the Howa 1500 Sporter.
    They are available in .223 and I think they are tack-drivers.

Mine is of the .204 Ruger variety, but is a fantastic varmint gun.
    Howa uses a Weatherby action and the triggers are really sweet as well.
    In your price range too.

Not my auction, just an example V

Howa GameKing Scope 1500 223 Remington Hogue NIB : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It really boils down to whether u want a bolt action or a semi auto. I would the 223 would be the way to go for what your wanting. Cheaper ammo an plenty of different factory choices if you don't reload. If you want a semi auto then an AR would get my vote an going through PSA you can have a very nice rifle for very reasonable money. But if a bolt action would suite you better check out the savage model 11 Hog Hunter in 223 great out of the box accuracy an very reasonably prices for less than $500 new in most places. Good luck on your new purchase.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If price is what is keeping you from getting an AR go with the previously mentioned rifle kits. I built 2 basic ARs for $425 each one of them is all decked out with magpul goodies now and its still under $600.

Top Bottom