• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettJudy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2015
    Greenfield
    I am thinking of buying a .22 lr rifle just for plinking around and target practice. Any price range will do, but I want an opinion on what the best for the money is. I like the 10/22 but was thinking about a bolt action .22.
    Also, what is the cheapest I could find, and is it worth it?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Cheapest will be the Mossberg 702, the most accurate is the Marlin 60, the Ruger 10/22 is the most popular and a Henry will be the best build. Of course this is my opinion based on my own experience ymmv.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The axiom you get what you pay for is true in the gun world just as it is everywhere. My vote would be the 10/22 for several reasons. It is a long time proven platform, it has more than acceptable accuracy out of the box, and it is the single most supported 22 rifle in terms of aftermarket improvements that can be made over time.

If you do decide on a bolt gun it would be hard to improve on a Savage without spending a lot more money.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    The axiom you get what you pay for is true in the gun world just as it is everywhere. My vote would be the 10/22 for several reasons. It is a long time proven platform, it has more than acceptable accuracy out of the box, and it is the single most supported 22 rifle in terms of aftermarket improvements that can be made over time.

If you do decide on a bolt gun it would be hard to improve on a Savage without spending a lot more money.

Parts and accessories availability is a big plus.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Another vote for the 10/22. I've built several of these little Ruger rifles for Appleseed Events. You can go basic or you can get all kinds of after market goodies. They just flat perform. A 400 round weekend? No big deal.

ScottsAndMattsAppleseedRugers_zpsjyfgb8tf.jpg

My only complaint is that Ruger's quality in regards to fit and finish isn't what it used to be.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Cz's are good and 10/22's can be modified at a reasonable price to very accurate. With the 10/22's shop around because prices ranges can be extreme.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    10/22 will always be the best for general use. They are accurate from the factory, always run and have a bazillion easily available and installable aftermarket parts. They can be made to shoot extremely well and can be configured in any way that your mind can fathom. If you want a bolt gun then the CZ's are also excellent, if you want a bolt gun in a lower price bracket, I love my Savage Mark 2, especially at that price point. I strongly vote for a 10/22, its performance and flexibility are unmatched.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

The question really need is that simple , you gotta figure out whats your budget along with what are you really going to use this rifle for, plinking, hunting, goofing at the range up to precision target shooting. Along with do you want a bolt, semi or a lever action. Lots of options from 129 bucks to thousands.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    S&W 15/22 gets my vote for best semi auto.

Agreed. I like my 15-22 so much more than any 10/22 I have ever shot.

Ty%20MP.JPG

If you want a bolt, the Savage is a great gun. My FVSR is as accurate as I can be. I have come to like my bolt more than my semi-auto. I even took it to an Appleseed.

Savage%20FVSR.jpg

Whatever you get, get a threaded barrel. .22s are a blast. Suppressed makes them even more so.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I just don't think you can beat a 10/22 for all-round versatility. I have an M&P 15/22 as well, which is a blast, but when I NEED a .22, whether to dispatch a pest or get something to eat, there's only one gun I reach for and that's my Ruger 10/22.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Another vote for the 10/22. I've built several of these little Ruger rifles for Appleseed Events. You can go basic or you can get all kinds of after market goodies. They just flat perform. A 400 round weekend? No big deal.

ScottsAndMattsAppleseedRugers_zpsjyfgb8tf.jpg

My only complaint is that Ruger's quality in regards to fit and finish isn't what it used to be.

How much does it take to assemble a 10-22 like the one in the top picture?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    For a bolt action take a look at the Ruger American Rimfire. Good accuracy, multiple versions, stock is one of the best factory synthetics made, and they won't break the bank. Also seem to not be all that ammo finicky, easy to find multiple loads that shoot at least acceptably. Also have 2 choices for scope mounting, receiver grooves or drilled for Weavers bases. Excellent trigger out of the box.

CZs are nice rifles and I've had a few but IMHO they're way overrated. Since getting my first RAR they've all been sold off. For one thing, the ones I had all seemed to be extremely finicky as far as ammo. A few loads would shoot good but anything else, forget it. Also the scope grooves being machined to a different size than standard can cause problems with scope mounting. Another problem I had was 2 of mine had issues with extracting loaded rounds, a 452 it was occasional but a 455 it was every time.

I also post quite a bit on a rimfire specific forum and it seems like most of the CZs that shoot good have all had at least some work done, trigger, stock, etc., while most of the Rugers shoot good straight out of the box and cost only about half as much.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I picked up a Marlin 795 LTR for my son. I am very impressed with the gun for the money. It is a great plunked and ready to go out of the box with two magazines, sling and tech sights.

Top Bottom