• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hello, all. Recently I've been contemplating picking up an older 700 in .308 and switching it to .260 remington. This seems like it would require only a barrel change, but I only have one 700, that I inherited from my dad, and haven't done any work on that nor will I. Could the community enlighten me on any problems I might face doing such a conversion, and if the end result would be a good platform to shoot in the 400 to 600 yard range. Thanks in advance

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Your current platform is effective in the 400 - 600 yd range.

The biggest problem I see is spending time and money for no gain.

Find a load the rifle likes. And make .30 holes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hello, all. Recently I've been contemplating picking up an older 700 in .308 and switching it to .260 remington. This seems like it would require only a barrel change, but I only have one 700, that I inherited from my dad, and haven't done any work on that nor will I. Could the community enlighten me on any problems I might face doing such a conversion, and if the end result would be a good platform to shoot in the 400 to 600 yard range. Thanks in advance

Its pretty straight forward going from 308 to 260. Swap the barrels, and your done. For 400-600 yds you definitely don't need to swap calibers. You will see very little performance benefits at those ranges, but you will see some.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I did that very thing to several Winchester rifles, it is not a big deal. Same amount of work and cost as upgrading to a higher grade barrel. For target work, The BC advantage with a 142 grain, 6.5mm bullet makes a big advantage in the wind past 400 or so yards. I shot a .260 at 1000 with good success. If you shoot all positions, the 120 grain bullet is easier on the recoil for off hand and sitting rapid fire and still very accurate at 200 yards. Shooting .308 match 168 grain bullets in offhand or sitting from a bolt action is pretty punishing and that cost me points in matches.

I ended up renting the reamers and taking the 1000 yard gun out to 6.5 X .284. That cartidge is like cheating as far as wind call error, but the cost is that barrels only last about 1/3 as long.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I did that very thing to several Winchester rifles, it is not a big deal. Same amount of work and cost as upgrading to a higher grade barrel. For target work, The BC advantage with a 142 grain, 6.5mm bullet makes a big advantage in the wind past 400 or so yards. I shot a .260 at 1000 with good success. If you shoot all positions, the 120 grain bullet is easier on the recoil for off hand and sitting rapid fire and still very accurate at 200 yards. Shooting .308 match 168 grain bullets in offhand or sitting from a bolt action is pretty punishing and that cost me points in matches.

I ended up renting the reamers and taking the 1000 yard gun out to 6.5 X .284. That cartidge is like cheating as far as wind call error, but the cost is that barrels only last about 1/3 as long.

Any problems with rate of twist?

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    In today's market you can buy a new rifle for less than what it cost to have a new barrel installed on your rifle. Hart barrels get $700 for installing one of their barrels on your gun. You can buy a new Savage or Remington for $600. Will it shoot as good as the Heart? That is a crap shoot. Both Savage and Remington are known for good shooting factory rifles. Most I have owned will shoot at a inch or less. The best so far I can get out of my 243 stock Savage is .75" five shot group at 100 yards with my hand loads. I am still working with it. My 308 700 will beat it by an 1/8" with my hand loads.

Now I had a model 7 Remington re-barrelled with a E.R.Shaw barrel. The barrel cost me a little over $200 and I paid a gun smith $450 to do the work. I got back a great rifle It will produce .5" groups with my hand loads at 100 yards and that is in 358 Hoosier.

I put together a AR in 6mmx45 using a A.R. Stoner barrel and it will shot .5" at 100 yards. That barrel cost $225 from Midway.

I know a guy that had a rifle built. It cost him over $2000 and the best group he can get is a inch at 100 yards.
    He don't reload. Thompson Center guarantees M. O. A. with their Venture and they list it at $537 on their site.

So it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much accuracy you want. Anything that will shoot an inch or under will get you to 600 yards with decent glass. Well some people can do it with irons. Not my old eyes. I have to have a scope. The farthest I shoot is 500 yards and I have not dun that in 3 years.

Good luck with what ever you decide on and good shooting.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thank you 6mm and all else who responded. I really like the older guns for fit and finish - wood and metal you know. I don't even mind the early Rem trigger although I would eventually upgrade that. I know I could buy a from-the-factory 260 (or 270 winnie for that matter) likely for less, I'm just not sure I would like it as much. I also am interested in learning more and doing some of my own work. Rest assured I do know my limitations but hope to stretch my boundaries a bit. I have a good friend and co-worker who is a semi-retired smith who I can rely on for advice also, but nobody can match the depth of knowledge and experience I find on INGO. Thanks again.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You can turn a finishing reamer by hand with an appropriate "T" handle. For rough in chambering and threading, a lathe is a must. And you only get one shot at it. It is not just about threads like turing a shaft for a nut, it is about fitted threads. I learned next to a friend, but I still had that work done by the man with the skills, I am not about end up to paying $500 a stick for practice metal. There is more to it than you can study or learn fast. I even built a hot bluing tank long enough for a barreled action, and worked real hard at that skill but never really got it down. Yes the stuff was blue, but nothing like on an old custom shop Winchester.

Yote7mmSlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Go to Cabelas, but the 12 fv in .308or 22-250 ($419). On sale for ($389)

buy a .260 barrel to your specs ($200-$400)

unscrew factory barrel , thread new barrel on headspace , shoot

Top Bottom