• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I just ordered a 20"upper--chambered 450 Bushmaster----and a Aftermarket muzzle brake--------

Tell me about yours---
    likes,dis-likes-------
    favorite ammo-----
    load your own??
    "deer hammer"?,or "deer sledgehammer"?

thanks,tallend

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I have one with a 20" barrel. I use factory Hornady ammo. Got a Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9X40 scope on it. It's very accurate, and kills deer dead. Killed an 8 pointer at 175 yards with it a couple seasons ago.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Absolutely love my 16" model. PSA lower, Burris PEPR mount, and Vortex scope. I also shoot Hornady Ammo. I put a Ross Schuler brake on mine. Hearing protection is a must. Have not shot a deer with it yet.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Definitely a deer hammer. The original 'Thumper'. Moa accuracy with Hornady factory loads. Dropped a 8 pointer Sunday am last year opening weekend.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I got my 450 today-------2nd day from Mi.--------looks good on my Dblstar lower---scope mounted,brake installed,one box of Hornady 250gr FTX--------range-time Tuesday...

Playtime about 9:00AM at fcvcc

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I got my 450 today-------2nd day from Mi.--------looks good on my Dblstar lower---scope mounted,brake installed,one box of Hornady 250gr FTX--------range-time Tuesday...

Playtime about 9:00AM at fcvcc

Full range report with pics required. Dont be afraid to put a extra power buffer spring to help recoil.

:ingo:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Full range report with pics required. Dont be afraid to put a extra power buffer spring to help recoil.

Is the QC for the 450 Bushmaster barrels hit or miss? Do some have proper sized gas ports and others just huge? I ask because I've shot a couple different 450BMs, 16" and 20" and neither have kicked that much. Less than a 308 carbine DI gas system 308. I know several people with them as well and they say theirs don't recoil much as well.

But I've talked to several people and have read several people saying that the 450BM kicks the hell out of them.

So IDK

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Here is where I'm at with recoil/brakes---------anything that reduces "felt recoil"--I'm for it........haven't shot the 450 yet,but reading up on it ---the break did seem in order

I have Contender,and Encore barrels with brakes installed--------J.P.Howitzer break,on a 15"Encore-45-70 feels like a .357 ----Contender,Super 14,chambered 308 Bellm with a E.A.Brown break- felt recoil=38+P my hand, wrist, elbow,and shoulder are much happier at the end of a days' shooting
    "Recoil WILL take its toll"-------I have over 70,000 REGISTERED trap targets---I ran a trap range for 15 years(shot many thousand more doing fun shoots) -----I developed a flinch so bad that I quit registered--------
    P.S.the side blast from most brakes keep people from crowding to close to you (grin)

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I have the 20" with a Bushnell tactical scope, nothing real high powered just durable. It is on an Anderson lower with an A2 stock and rifle buffer. I shoot Hornady bullets because I haven't found anything else to try. Don't get me wrong the Hornadys shoot great, but I would like to use Barnes solid copper bullets instead. I can't wait to slam some deer with this platform this year! I have noticed that this rifle has enormous recoil! I have been wanting to try a heavier spring, buffer, or both, I just haven't been able to test it yet.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Is the QC for the 450 Bushmaster barrels hit or miss? Do some have proper sized gas ports and others just huge? I ask because I've shot a couple different 450BMs, 16" and 20" and neither have kicked that much. Less than a 308 carbine DI gas system 308. I know several people with them as well and they say theirs don't recoil much as well.

But I've talked to several people and have read several people saying that the 450BM kicks the hell out of them.

So IDK

Not QC. Physics. Per wikipedia for ballistics performance 5.56 NATO vs. 450BM...

556natoperf.png 450BMperf.png

5.56 62gr SS109 at 1303 ft-lbs energy. 450BM 250gr Horn at 2722 ft-lbs energy.

The standard AR is designed to cycle and function with 556 +/-.
    And I'm not trying to get into a this load vs. that load debate.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not QC. Physics. Per wikipedia for ballistics performance 5.56 NATO vs. 450BM...

I was mainly curious if some 450s rock you more or if some people are just recoil sensitive.

Like I said earlier, I've shot them several times and they pushed a bit, but not enough to warrant a heavier buffer or to say it's a shoulder killer

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Range time with the 450---------------any time on the range is great

Scope setting---3 shots to zero (50 yds)

Recoil------(my opinion)---not for a day of plinking- the "felt recoil"?????? light load 12ga------still happy that I bought the brake

On paper---my best group(at 50 yds from bench)=2" for 5 shots--------I will not win any matches,but I am impressed with the 450,and plan on doing some loading for it

tallend

CountryHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    Great gun for hunting, I just built one. Took it to the range and after sticking a new redfield scope it took 3 shots to get in at 50 yrds and 3 to make sure I was on at 100. The rest of the time I was just playing around but almost went through a whole box before I gave up due to a little soreness on my shoulder. Kinda wish I would have went with a A2 stock now, but really its not that bad. I would put it to around the same as a 20 guage slug.

Last edited:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    I got a "Bushmaster"magazine with the Bushmaster upper--------works fine
    I ordered a "Stoner"magazine for it----Difficult to load rounds in the mag---------any more than 2 rounds it will NOT feed---I noticed that Midway lowered their price on the Stoner Magazine to 16.00,----in the comments section,some had NO problems with them-----MAYBE I got a bad one???

Tuesday,at the range----50 yds--5 shots--ONE ragged hole 1 1/2"------100 yds--3 shots---3 1/2"---15 shots = enough for one setting

vernw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Dallas now born Indy
    Put a few rounds thru my 20" upper this week. 3 shots @ 50 yds into 5/8" C2C, 3 shots at 100 into 1.0", 10 shots at 100 under 2" (pulled a couple, rest one big hole). Used both a standard spring and buffer and a JP captured spring system. Getting the occasional round not fully ejecting, hanging up at 90 degree angle with a closed bolt. Have 2 Bushmaster 5 rd mags, one of which fails to feed 50% of the time, the other FTF once every 10-12 rds. Neither mag holds the bolt open on empty mag.

Any suggestions? Planning to use it opening weekend if I can....

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Never heard of a 450 having FTE issues (bolt not locking back is another story), gas block on right and/or something clogging the gas port?

What mags are you using?

Top Bottom