• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    As noted, I'm new to ARs and I hear it is a buyer's market, so this may be my time to enter the AR universe.

1.) What is a decent-to-nice entry level AR? I'm not looking for a top of the line, tricked out, tacticool Scary Black Gun. I'm more interested in something solid, reliable, good shooter, at a value price.

2.) Where is good place to get such a gun? Prefer to buy local, and I know my go-to LGS, USDS, is a major AR player in the area...so USDS is high on my list. What other local (to Indianapolis) places are there?
    2.5) How about online vendors?

Again, I'm looking for an entry-level model, not concerned so much about caliber but also wholly unfamiliar what my caliber options are. Don't want to break the bank but also have no idea what an entry level price is...$500? $600?? $700??? Also not against building my own from scratch, I'm fairly handy at that kind of thing so if kitting one out is a money saver I'm interested. With Christmas coming up, this may get pushed off to 2016 but if the value is there and the price is right, I'll make the plunge sooner rather than later.

Purpose of the gun is home defense and fun plinking at the range or family get togethers. My extended family gets together once or twice a year around Frankfort and shoots together on some farmland we own. Nieces and nephews up to grandparents. It's a great time!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Build it. Get what you want to start with. Wont have to change later. Same price or cheaper. Joeboboutfitters, Aim Surplus, Ranier Arms, Primary Arms, Palmetto State Armory...and many more good websites to choose from.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    US defense solutions in greenwood at 37 & county line rd, specializes in AR's. They have a dpms oracle for under $600. It's fine for a beginner AR. Also armalite AR's which in my opinion rival the new model colts. Or you can pick out the lower, upper, parts kit and barrel you want and even buy the tools there and build your own. They have everything you need even small parts if you lose or break something. Or they offer AR build classes so you can build it with instruction so you fully understand why everything is done the way it is and how it works. I'd NEVER take an ar to any other shop in central Indy.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Buy your lower receiver local, ship in the upper and LPK (lower parts kit). plenty of people on here will help you get it put together as the tool list is minimal if you are just building the lower. I did mine with a Bushmaster lower and rifle kit from PSA, all in for $450+shipping. great shooter and never had a malfunction

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    You need to determine what you think you want to do with an AR. "Tactical" classes? Target shooting? Home defense? Varmints? Scoped? Red dot? Iron sights?

AR's can be had in almost any any configuration you can dream up; so what's your dream?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Palmetto has a 1:7 freedom nitride kit now with free shipping for $389. Buy a lower of your choice, a couple mags, and a rear sight. $500 total and done. You can always upgrade to a better barrel down the road for a couple hundred and still have less that $750 in it. Not that the nitride barrel is bad or anything. Kit even comes with a good c158 bolt

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Several are saying build, which is what I prefer, but if it's your first ar I'm seem a little daunting. For a good entry level ar psa has some good affordable options or you might look into a smith and Wesson m&p sport. The s&w sport I'm seeing right under $600. Bradis is also has a great selection as well. As for caliber, 223/5.56 is the standard but the sky's the limit on caliber options. If you find you like the ar platform then I'd recommend building one yourself. It's stupid easy and very addicting.

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    1.) What is a decent-to-nice entry level AR? I'm not looking for a top of the line, tricked out, tacticool Scary Black Gun. I'm more interested in something solid, reliable, good shooter, at a value price.
    Our best-selling entry level AR rifles tend to be the Del-Ton Echo 316, the Ruger AR556 and the S&W M&P-15 Sport. The S&W is well under $700, with the Ruger being just over $600 and the Del-Ton being just under $600. All come ready to gas up and go shoot, out of the box, unlike many other "budget" ARs which omit the iron sights in order to achieve a certain price point.

2.) Where is good place to get such a gun? Prefer to buy local, and I know my go-to LGS, USDS, is a major AR player in the area...so USDS is high on my list. What other local (to Indianapolis) places are there?

We carry all of the above-mentioned rifles, as well as stripped lowers, uppers, barrels, BCGs, and all the parts needed to complete your build. We also have a couple certified AR-15 armorers on staff to answer technical questions or assist you with your project.

Let us know how we can help! :ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We're almost there anyway. Wait until the Black Friday sales are announced and then take advantage of Palmetto State Armory's (PSA)
    offerings.
    They continually run sales on their "blemished" items. I just got a complete AR10 lower (blemished) for $189 and free shipping.
    I'm waiting on Black Friday sales myself to finish.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    If you are new, building probably isn't the best option. If you think you will shoot a lot, get a factory built gun. Ruger and windham weaponry will be hard to beat for the money. I would save a little more and buy BCM.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you are new, building probably isn't the best option. If you think you will shoot a lot, get a factory built gun. Ruger and windham weaponry will be hard to beat for the money. I would save a little more and buy BCM.

I built my first lower by myself, with zero assistance save a video from AR15.com.
    It took me all of 45 minutes, with no special tools, and it works fine to this day.
    I don't understand the idea that someone new to the AR platform shouldn't build their first rifle.

If you have ever played with an Erector Set, you should have little or no trouble building an AR15.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If it's your first, I'd buy a complete PSA premium upper and complete PSA premium lower. I run my equipment hard and often, much of it being PSA, and it's never let me down. There are many great brands out there that will do just as well but you'll pay more for it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The man who said your first task is to determine what style you want is dead on. We went from a single rifle style available to almost anything you can think of, right out of the box. Some manufacturers are kind of specialized. Some outfit that assembles light carbines may do a great job but do not have much in rifles, or Varminters, or Competition models, etc. and visa versa, I have assembled whole rifles from parts, bought custom ordered rifles with custom (machined, not clamped on) features, I even designed and had a pair of custom reamers manufactured to custom chamber a barrel for a rifle of my design.

No slam on guys that like gathering and assembling their own rifles, but right now there is a glut of AR's and AR builders on the market, The prices are really down and you can get a brand name, ready to go out of the box AR for about the same price of reasonable quality parts. The last two I bought were out of the box, ready to go for my use rifles. I added sights and upgraded the triggers and started taking them to matches. The only time I had to take them apart was to replace barrels that started loosening up group sizes and throwing unexplained fliers after 4000 or so rounds.

If assembling parts, watch what you buy, there some really low grade "Ho chi mein city" type parts floating around out there.

Top Bottom