• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    A friend of mine is looking to sell me a Norinco SKS-D which accepts AK magazines. The rifle is in very good shape except for one thing; it's in a crappy black stock made for a regular SKS that has been modified to work with the Model D.

If I end up buying this (I will), I would like to find a new stock for it. From what I can tell, my options are:

1. Tapco SKS Stock (Unless someone tells me these things are phenomenal, I won't buy one.)

2. Try to find a model M or D stock on...Ebay? Somewhere? I've looked online and apparently these stocks are really hard to find.

3. SGWorks SKS Bullpup stock: I really, REALLY want someone to tell me these are great. However I'm reading a lot of reviews on INGO and other forums and I'm hearing some good, some bad, some "meh." But it would be a bullpup that takes AK MAGS!!

4. Someone on Etsy is selling these.

5. Sell it and buy a PTR-32.

So what say you? I'm open to suggestions, ideas, etc.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ideally, I would choose door number 2 but (and I'm honestly a little surprised to say this with me being a purist when it comes to the SKS), #4 doesn't look too bad. It would be a toss up between #1 and #3 on which would be my least favorite. Probably #3 though because it's much more expensive and ruins the trigger and ergonomics of the platform.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Ideally, I would choose door number 2 but (and I'm honestly a little surprised to say this with me being a purist when it comes to the SKS), #4 doesn't look too bad. It would be a toss up between #1 and #3 on which would be my least favorite. Probably #3 though because it's much more expensive and ruins the trigger and ergonomics of the platform.

#1 really isn't an option. It looks terrible and I'm not a fan of Tapco.

What you said about #3 kind of makes me sad, but it's also par for everything else I've heard.

Honestly I would rather not spend $125 on a stock. If I could find an original stock in decent shape (or one I could refinish myself) I would take that. But so far, no luck.

There's always #5...

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Option # 2 is the best choice, D model stocks show up on E-Bay every once in a great while, but they do show up.

There is also an M model stock, they to will fit (as long as it isn't the M model paratrooper stock) but I have never been a fan of the thumb hole or Monte Carlo stocks.

rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    West of Indy
    I have two SGW I like them. Put you are making it into plastic rifle. The first one is when they started up, second 2 yrs later with all the up dates for my D. Work great with red dots.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Ok...had an SGW bullpup on my type M and proceeded to take it off after a year. You will NOT get the accuracy out of a plastic wrap that the SKS is capable of. Also the gun set up will NOT allow you to use 30 round mags due to where the grip sits and you are stuck trying to find 20 round mags to clear the grip. Getting the trigger set up for the type M SUCKED to say the least and still was not 100% reliable......I sold it and would never do it again.

Last edited:

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I have a SGW and love it. And my buddy loves his too. Had to do some original work (about an hour) to get the trigger as tight as I like it. Put a EOtech 512 on it and it shoots like a dream. I have no problem running the Tapco 20rd mags. This gun is so fun to shoot.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I also have the Sgw stock and think it works great. The trigger isn't as bad as you might think. Making a ****ty trigger slightly ****tier isn't that much of a loss imho. Truth be told, I bought the sg stock as I too bought a super cheap sks that I didn't ever shoot as I have AKs out the wazoo. I didn't want to buy a 2000+ bullpup but saw the sg stock for cheap on preorder. Now that I have a tavor I really want to restore the sks to its original beauty. I know timbersmiths make a couple stocks that are meh. If ironwood makes one I'd jump on that.

Top Bottom