• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phipps

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Hey everyone, I am doing some research for a friend on his rifle. Its an M1 Carbine by IBM, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Just looking for a few details based on these noted markings:

IBM M1 CARBINE
    SERIAL NUMBER 3836***
    RECEIVER: AO
    BAYONEY LUG: EMQ
    BARREL 1: ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA
    BARREL 2: IBM CORP 11 43 (ORDNANCE ENGRAVING)
    SLING MOUNT: MMQ
    FRONT SIGHT: P
    REAR SIGHT: H.I.
    BUTT STOCK 1: PROD RWH (left)
    BUTT STOCK 2: HT8 (paint residue? Not engraved)
    BUTT STOCK 3: Appears to have paint markings lightly scrubbed off; wood finish has been worn off in one area, same yellow/tan residue in the wood as BUTTSTOCK 2
    REAR SLING MOUNT: TR(not legible) TN (underneath the TR)
    MAGAZINE RELEASE: M
    UPPER HANDGUARD: (underneath): 0 (may have previously been 10, partially worn)
    no serial numbers appear on the inside of the stock
    TRIGGER HAMMER: WU

I can provide pictures of all these items as well.

What can you tell me? I am puzzled that this rifle doesnt have nearly as many serialized parts as other rifles of its era did- is that common of the M1 series rifles?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    US weapons of the period did not have matching serial numbered parts, the parts were manufactured to be interchangeable. A concept that was put in practice before the Civil War. The various markings, however, do indicate changes made during production and/or sub-contractors, suppliers of base materials, etc. Thus, they are useful to collectors in determining if a gun still has the correct original parts. None of this really matters for your friend though, this marking: "BARREL 1: ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA" is a post-1986 import marking and indicates that the carbine is a shooter, not a collectible. It still has value as such, but it is not a rarity.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hey everyone, I am doing some research for a friend on his rifle. Its an M1 Carbine by IBM, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Just looking for a few details based on these noted markings:

IBM M1 CARBINE
    SERIAL NUMBER 3836***
    RECEIVER: AO IBM contracted with Auto Ordinance for some receivers
    BAYONEY LUG: EMQ
    BARREL 1: ARL ORD ARLINGTON VA - Post war production spare maybe?
    BARREL 2: IBM CORP 11 43 (ORDNANCE ENGRAVING) - Type I IBM barrel
    SLING MOUNT: MMQ

FRONT SIGHT: P
    REAR SIGHT: H.I.
    BUTT STOCK 1: PROD RWH (left)
    BUTT STOCK 2: HT8 (paint residue? Not engraved)
    BUTT STOCK 3: Appears to have paint markings lightly scrubbed off; wood finish has been worn off in one area, same yellow/tan residue in the wood as BUTTSTOCK 2
    REAR SLING MOUNT: TR(not legible) TN (underneath the TR) - Trimble Nursery and Furniture Company. Possibly correct for a Type III IBM. Primarily contracted to Nat Postal Meter, Underwood and Saginaw
    MAGAZINE RELEASE: M - No info found
    UPPER HANDGUARD: (underneath): 0 (may have previously been 10, partially worn)
    no serial numbers appear on the inside of the stock
    TRIGGER HAMMER: WU - Probably an Underwood type III

I can provide pictures of all these items as well.

What can you tell me? I am puzzled that this rifle doesnt have nearly as many serialized parts as other rifles of its era did- is that common of the M1 series rifles?

I've added the info I could find above. I'm guessing that this was re-arsenaled after the war and received parts from a variety of makers. Some look correct, but some don't. The bayonet lug was introduced either very late in the war or after and IBM finished production before it's introduction.

The M1 Carbine is a great rifle. I have an IBM and bought the Riesch book that catalogs just about every variant and marking in them and that's where I pulled what info I could on this. These rifles were largely built by contractors that never built weapons before and in a lot of cases, they would use parts from other manufacturers if they encountered a shortage of their own. The M1 Carbine is my favorite rifle for a range trip and also makes a decent home defense gun.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The Arlington Ordnance import marked M1 carbines were imported from South Korea.
    Almost all of these were rebuilt after WW2, hence the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight.

Top Bottom