• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Alright. You have a 2000 budget without optics and the three rifles are whats on the table.

Knights Armco SR15 (while slightly above the budget you could justify it if its worth it)

Sig 516

FNH 15 tactical

Which would you choose and why?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Knight's SR-15 hands down. You'll have the proprietary E3 bolt but I've heard nothing but good things about the design. I'm also not a big fan of the URX rail since I kind of dislike KeyMod rails. I own a Noveske and Fortis but I just like good ole quad rails better. Their proprietary gas system from what I read is very smooth. Plus, a Knight's will easily hold it's value.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If these are my ONLY 3 rifles, the list is a little different (needs a .22)
    With a $2000 cap, it might be a little tough, and none of these would be the absolute best in class. But they'd be serviceable, and fun. Better yet, they'd be mine!

1) a lever gun in .44 mag or 45-70 (likely a Henry big boy) - fun, hits hard
    2) an carbine AR in 5.56 - nothing fancy, but dependable. Basic Colt or BCM would be fine
    3) a bolt gun (Savage, Rem 700, or T/C) in 6.5 Creedmoor (or .338 Lapua)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think I would buy the FNH, I had a Knights years ago, sent it back 3 times! Never again. With the FN, you will still have money left for a good optic,ammo, extras, maybe a nice pistol.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Well, if I had to choose from those 3, then the FN would get the nod. KAC's are way overpriced for what they are. I don't have much knowledge on the sig 516. Not sure interchangeable small parts from an AR to a 516. Common AR parts are easy to come by

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well, I own a First Gen SR25 and its always worked and worked well.
    But with the three you are looking at I would pick the FN without a doubt.
    They are not new at this game and it will like already said will come in below budget.
    Can I ask why FN and not say Rock River or Colt ?
    And I'm not knocking FN at all, I own a few firearms from them. One of the guys I grew up with was Director of Marketing for awhile with FNUSA.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    How boring, 3 ARs, not even a SCAR or Tavor on the table. I'd grab the FN out of being the better value, then buy a decent optic or ammo/mags with the remaining cash.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ALL my purchases lately are bought with the thought that I want common parts so I can interchange when needed.
    It's all part of my SHTF thinking and prep work. Of the 3 above my vote is pretty clear.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'd need to know what you want it for.

If this were used as a go-to gun, and SHTF gun, I'd take anything "proprietary" off of that table of yours because proprietary usually does not equal parts commonality if times get hard. That leaves you with the FN, which seems to be a fine rifle.

If this is one of those "there's an empty spot in my AR-specific safe" purchases, maybe you'd want proprietary because it's different. In that case, the 516 may quench your thirst.

Is this a gun that you're buying so that your friends and family can all shoot with you? Are you friends with any, or are you yourself one of those evil southpaws? The SR15 looks to be fully ambidextrous from the factory.

If it were me, considering the things I've described above, I'd go with the FN. My reason? I don't know which gun I'll be holding when the bad guy, secret police raiding party, or the Daesh "peace lover" kicks down my door, so anything I own could be, and should be able to be, pressed into service at any given moment. That's my decision based on my "policy." I didn't use to have a policy, now I've got that one.*

*Rep for the first person to get the reference.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Clearly there are reasons to drop the SIG and the SR 15 due to cost and compatability.

A huge plus to the FN...

Any time someone asks "who's FN gun is this?"

you can reply "that's MY FN gun!"

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    People need to do more research on the SR-15. The only proprietary part is the bolt and KAC has a 20,000rd guarantee on it. That's chump change in cost to how much you'll spend on ammo to try to wear it out. 99.9% on here won't ever come close to shooting that much through an AR.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    People need to do more research on the SR-15. The only proprietary part is the bolt and KAC has a 20,000rd guarantee on it. That's chump change in cost to how much you'll spend on ammo to try to wear it out. 99.9% on here won't ever come close to shooting that much through an AR.

You're exactly right about that. And 99.9% of people on here will never shoot enught to wear out a $1200 AR either with a C158 or 9310 bolt so why spend an extra $1000 for the KAC? Even IF they did, buy another quality bolt for $70 and $200 barrel and continue shooting. You'll still have less than the $2200 in it that the KAC commands. I'm not saying KAC is a crap rifle. It's a very solid rifle and will serve you well, but can get a colt, BCM, DD, or build your own with high quality parts for less that will serve most of us just as well.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

And the only proprietary part on my truck is the transmission, hope the guarantee from the shop can float me home if it breaks.

That guarantee gonna save you when your bolt breaks the one time you relied on that rifle? I did the research on those three rifles and gave an honest opinion.

If I had to rely on a rifle so save my life, I wouldn't want so much as a proprietary crush washer, I'd want something that's proven and that can be replaced.

What about when civilization has fallen apart and you've just broken a locking lug after round 20,001? Gonna just call up KAC for a replacement? Even if you get ahold of some poor S.O.B. that's riding it out in the factory, he just gonna mail you that bolt while you pray that the foragers stay away until USPS gets back up and running?

My point is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Go with what you know and you don't have to rely on a well-intentioned guarantee. I've not one shred of doubt that the SR15 is a fine rifle. I don't currently own one, which means I'd like to have one, but it would be disingenuous to recommend something unproven for someone to bet their life on.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'd need to know what you want it for.

If this were used as a go-to gun, and SHTF gun, I'd take anything "proprietary" off of that table of yours because proprietary usually does not equal parts commonality if times get hard. That leaves you with the FN, which seems to be a fine rifle.

If this is one of those "there's an empty spot in my AR-specific safe" purchases, maybe you'd want proprietary because it's different. In that case, the 516 may quench your thirst.

Is this a gun that you're buying so that your friends and family can all shoot with you? Are you friends with any, or are you yourself one of those evil southpaws? The SR15 looks to be fully ambidextrous from the factory.

If it were me, considering the things I've described above, I'd go with the FN. My reason? I don't know which gun I'll be holding when the bad guy, secret police raiding party, or the Daesh "peace lover" kicks down my door, so anything I own could be, and should be able to be, pressed into service at any given moment. That's my decision based on my "policy." I didn't use to have a policy, now I've got that one.*

*Rep for the first person to get the reference.

James Yeager? He uses "pressed into service" quite a bit.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If this is one of those "you got free money" scenarios, I'd get the Knights. If I have to spend 2 grand of mu own money, I'm going for a couple of supperssors.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    If these are my ONLY 3 rifles, the list is a little different (needs a .22)
    With a $2000 cap, it might be a little tough, and none of these would be the absolute best in class. But they'd be serviceable, and fun. Better yet, they'd be mine!

1) a lever gun in .44 mag or 45-70 (likely a Henry big boy) - fun, hits hard
    2) an carbine AR in 5.56 - nothing fancy, but dependable. Basic Colt or BCM would be fine
    3) a bolt gun (Savage, Rem 700, or T/C) in 6.5 Creedmoor (or .338 Lapua)

Nailed it!
    God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom