• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newprt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hartford City
    I've been looking for a new deer rifle since my wife started hunting this year. I'm gonna let her use my h&r single shot 44 mag. Trying to find a matching 35 Remington to go with it but they are hard to come by. Anybody know much about the cva's? What kind of distance could I get out of a 35 Remington? All help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My hunting bud used his CVA .35 Rem to fill his buck tag this morning.
    Gun is 2 for 2...........loves it.
    So far he and I have not shot any deer past 75 yards with our .35 Rems (mine's a TC).
    I'm guessing the .35 Rem trimmed good to 150 yards, maybe farther.

My deer this yr ran 75 yards (max) and he died mid stride, w decent bloodtrail. Not sure how the bullet will perform at longer D.
    Works but am not shocked at any performance gain yet.

My 200gr Hornady exited. Deer before this one was shot at 50 yards, clipped shoulder and bullet did not exit. 50 yards (bullet actually came apart- was not mushroomed under offside hide).

Hopefully future data has things acceptable. Doe hunt this weekend :)

Newprt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hartford City
    My hunting bud used his CVA .35 Rem to fill his buck tag this morning.
    Gun is 2 for 2...........loves it.
    So far he and I have not shot any deer past 75 yards with our .35 Rems (mine's a TC).
    I'm guessing the .35 Rem trimmed good to 150 yards, maybe farther.

My deer this yr ran 75 yards (max) and he died mid stride, w decent bloodtrail. Not sure how the bullet will perform at longer D.
    Works but am not shocked at any performance gain yet.

My 200gr Hornady exited. Deer before this one was shot at 50 yards, clipped shoulder and bullet did not exit. 50 yards (bullet actually came apart- was not mushroomed under offside hide).

Hopefully future data has things acceptable. Doe hunt this weekend :)

What kind of load do you use if you don't sharing.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I just pulled the bullets on some Remington 200 gr. core-lokts, trimmed the brass and reseat the bullets to factory OAL.
    The buck I shot this year with it was at 50 yds, double lunged, ran for about 5 seconds and was done. Bullet was a pass through.

Newprt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hartford City
    I've been calling around and found a cva scout in 35 Remington. If he still has it I'm gonna grab it in a couple weeks so I'll have a whole year to tinker with loads. Still curious how accurate it would shoot at 200 yards. I know my 44 with the loads I have there is about 6 inch drop from 100 to 150. Haven't shot it passed 200

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    This thread on GBO might give you some insight on how it can perform....

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/indiana/cva-scout-v2-35-remington/

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There is something magical about the 35 Remington. I have been using a rimmed version of it in my T/C Contender for the last few years and it has never let me down. I have usually experimented with something new every year since rifles were legalized for deer, but since using the 35 Remington I haven't felt the need to.

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    A sweet load is the Hornady 180 gr SSP over 35 gr H4895. It has relatively low recoil yet leaves huge exit wounds on deer.

Newprt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2015
    Hartford City
    Local gun shop found me one with a 22 inch barrel. Blues with black synthetic stock for 300 new. Be here in a couple weeks! Can't wait to start tinkering with loads for it. Any suggestions on a decent optic? Thought about Nikon with a bdc

Top Bottom