• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    I need help!! I've been target shooting with hand guns, compound bow, even a little trap shooting with a shot gun, I've never owned a rifle, except my favorite henry .22, but I have the itch for a little more distance, thinking hunting out west or just being accurate as possible from further than 50 yards. Can anyone recommend a versatile caliber that might fit the bill for a first timer? a gun recommendation would be appreciated as well, I have about 12-1500 to spend on something:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My knee-jerk reaction is to tell you .308 because it is one of the most popular "big" calibers out there and most readily available. From what I understand, 6mm varieties seem to be pretty flat shooting as well. I'm sure that most here will tell you that if you don't reload, stick to .308.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

EDIT: Hunting out west? If this is REALLY on your radar, then you need to consider what game you will be hunting but 308 Win isn't a bad choice if you are going to be gunning for elk or mulies.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm not much of a rifle guy...

but if you don't want the recoil of a .308 platform, then the .243 Win may be right up your alley; especially if you just want to punch paper.

AND it's powerful enough to take down almost any game in North America should you desire.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hunting out west can be Elk or prairie dogs.

Sounds like it will be mostly bench shooting so a bolt is fine for that and great for hunting.

There are so many calibers that can shoot flat to 400 yards and still kill on arrival that you might want to define a few things first. Otherwise a bolt in .223 gives you a good bench gun, coyote killer at home and gopher to deer killer in other states. Plenty of ammo choices.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    I am attempting get a few guys interested in going to hunt elk, if it never comes to pass than I will likely be a paper puncher except for the occasional whitetail trips up north. I have always shot a loaner 308 but have never been able to get comfortable with the glass. For that reason I have the serious itch to get my own. but target shooting just seems to calm the soul

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I was going elk hunting I would start at 30-06 and go from there. As far as rifle choice, you won't go wrong with a Remington 700 or one of the better Savage grades.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I wouldn't hesitate to look at a 8mm Mauser rifle either, surplus ammo is available for plinking and range shooting and premium ammo for large game is easily available as well. Sporter Mausers often sell at an excellent price with all the work to make one into a good hunting rifle already done.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    If I was going elk hunting I would start at 30-06 and go from there. As far as rifle choice, you won't go wrong with a Remington 700 or one of the better Savage grades.

30-06 in the right hands can take any game in North America. Rifles and ammo are cheap and easy to find. You can load it 110gr to 200gr bullets.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    One more vote for the .243

Or, you could consider the .243

Also, don't overlook the .243 :)

The recoil is very mellow, flat shooting, and generally accurate from most quality name-brand bolt guns. The .243 is perfect for improving shooting from 300-600+ yds.
    The T/C Venture is a great value for an entry level bolt gun (5R rifling). Tikka T3 is also great. Of course you always have Rem 700's, Rugers, Savages, Howas, etc.
    If you handload, be sure to search for a fast twist barrel to launch the heavier/longer projectiles. If you're shooting off-the-shelf ammo, then almost ALL new factory guns do well with the 80 or 100 grain loadings that are the most common (your rifle will probably favor one or the other). If you were to go out and put 50-100 rounds downrange in a day (assuming that's not what you do everyday), then the mellow recoil of a .243 would be great.

If you handload, why not look at the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, 7mm-08.
    As others have said, .223 and .308 are great options just for the ease of finding ammo.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A Kimber Montana in 7-08 Rem is likely the most versatile killing rifle ever turned out. One in 243 Win is a close second, but out of the box they aren't twisted to handle the best bullets like the 7-08s are.

Absolutely no one who has done this before and paid attention, looks at a blank sheet of paper and writes anything starting with a 3.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A Kimber Montana in 7-08 Rem is likely the most versatile killing rifle ever turned out. One in 243 Win is a close second, but out of the box they aren't twisted to handle the best bullets like the 7-08s are.

Absolutely no one who has done this before and paid attention, looks at a blank sheet of paper and writes anything starting with a 3.
    Not even 338 Lapua Magnum?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    .30-06 is one of the most versatile and available rounds out there. I've killed everything from prairie dogs to bear with a Winchester 70. That's not to say it's the 'best' caliber for a given application but is the jack of most trades.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I wouldn't hesitate to look at a 8mm Mauser rifle either, surplus ammo is available for plinking and range shooting and premium ammo for large game is easily available as well. Sporter Mausers often sell at an excellent price with all the work to make one into a good hunting rifle already done.

:yesway:Old skool! Along the same lines, 6.5x55 or 7x57 Mauser in a modern rifle with good handloads will do just as good as the latest and greatest, not to mention you'd have something a little different and over 120 years of history in each cartridge.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I need help!! I've been target shooting with hand guns, compound bow, even a little trap shooting with a shot gun, I've never owned a rifle, except my favorite henry .22, but I have the itch for a little more distance, thinking hunting out west or just being accurate as possible from further than 50 yards. Can anyone recommend a versatile caliber that might fit the bill for a first timer? a gun recommendation would be appreciated as well, I have about 12-1500 to spend on something:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

While you're deciding what centerfire rifle to buy, I suggest you attend a Revere's Riders event and learn how to accurately shoot a rifle from field positions. There's an event scheduled for 05-06 December in Nashville that would be perfect. Bring your Henry, or let the Instructors know on the RR forum, and they will gladly loan you a rifle for the event. I know for a fact that there will be a few centerfire rifles available for the students to try on Sunday ... a very nice U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, and a pre '64 Winchester M70 Featherweight in .308 to name a few.

Here's a link the Revere's Riders home page ... Revere's Riders | Shooting Sports ? American History ? Civic Engagement

And a link to the sign-up page ... Find an Event | Revere's Riders ... click on the Nashville event to purchase your spot on the line.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    :yesway:Old skool! Along the same lines, 6.5x55 or 7x57 Mauser in a modern rifle with good handloads will do just as good as the latest and greatest, not to mention you'd have something a little different and over 120 years of history in each cartridge.

Heck there's nothing wrong with most of the originals...I have two 1895's, had my sporterized one to the range about two weeks ago. Guns don't go bad because of the years on them.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If I had that budget for a bolt gun, I'd be looking at something in 6.5 Creedmor or 260 based on what you were asking out of the rifle. IMHO, those are the best chamberings currently available for long distance paper punching and infrequent trips out west for largish game hunting (not prairie dog shooting). They'll be a bit more expensive than 308 to shoot off the shelf ammo and you'll want to reload yourself. If you want cheap off the shelf ammo and want to shoot cheap, look into going with 308. It's not optimal for what you're wanting to do, but it'll get the job done cheaper and more conveniently.

With that budget, and if you go 6.5 or 260, maybe look at finding a cheap remington action and have it blue printed and barreled. Put a Timney trigger in it and you'd have a pretty nice rifle.

If you go 308, I'd look into a 700 Police, Sendero, or 5r. They're really nice right out of the box with just a trigger upgrade. The stocks they come with will be pretty nice for what you're wanting as well.

This is also considering your budget is for rifle only. What's your budget for your scope mount, rings, and glass? Those will be pretty spendy if you want to do your rifle justice.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    One other thing to remember...that bull barrel may be good from the bench but you haul it up and down a couple small mountains out west and you will be wishing for the lighter contour barrel. One of the most accurate rifles I own is my Rem 700 in 22 CHeetah with a pencil barrel. Yep, it does heat up quicker...just means you need to take some relaxing time between shots. My sporter Mauser is an original military barrel but it was cut and recrowned removing a bit of front end weight.

Top Bottom