• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. I recently bought a new shotgun and was going to grab some chokes for it. The gun is a supposed to be a do-it-all kind of gun and so I wanted to get chokes capable of handling any type of shot. The chokes are for a Remington 870 super mag. I've really only looked at a few types of chokes, but none of them list exactly what type of steel they are made of or what hardness you need to handle high velocity steel shot loads. I was probably going to get a set of three; my main desires being non-ported chokes (for ease of cleaning), and the ability to handle large and high velocity steel shotgun loads. Extended or flush mount are fine, as long as they are tough as nails and non-ported. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time. -Ben

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I would only purchase chokes that explicitly state what size and type of shot that they can handle. If not it will be an expensive leaning experience. Chokes nowadays are pretty modern and some full chokes can handle sheet shot. There are so many choice out there it can make one's head spin. Keep researching and maybe join shotgunworld, you just might find what you are looking for at a fair price.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Last I knew, Remchoke was Remchoke.
    They were longer and maybe thicker than chketubes offered by others at the time of introduction.
    Mossberg, Winchester, Browning and Weatherby all ran the same (Accuchoke, Winchoke, Invector) but had extended versions for steel shot.
    Then they used a similarly longer, thicker choketube on their 835's ............think they were called "Accumag"
    Browning changed to be more Remchke like with the Invector Plus.

Some chokes tubes are rated for steel, some for lead. Some will do double duty, and explicitly state what shot sizes/results. Some don't.

Remington does make a Remchoke that states "Full- lead or steel" and it costs more than the regular "Full" Remchoke.
    Dunno how it differs. I have a couple of them.

I've only Run steel (conventional type) through Accumag modified (835) and Remchoke modified (870's in various forms).
    My preference is for Bismith #2's from a regular full choke........in an 1100magnum.
    Since I sold my last shiny/pretty 1100 mag and run a steel shot Remchoke bbl now............might have test some of the newer offerings (Blackcloud, Blindside).
    Have only run lead through my "Full-lead or steel".

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I'm not necessarily worried about what constriction is available/capable of steel shot. I've used chokes before and understand some of the physical limitations of their designs. I really meant that it seems like certain manufacturers have proprietary steel alloys or harder steels that make them tougher than the average choke. The regular limit for steel seems to be right around modified (.710) to improved modified (.705). It seems like almost any choke under this can handle steel shot, but I mean to say that the average choke might only be capable of handling steel shot smaller than BB or slower than 1500-ish FPS. It seems like certain manufacturers are using better (read harder) steels and designs to allow for faster or larger steel shot, with greater constriction than ever before. For example, Carlson's has their super steel, and Trulock has 17-4 PH (pressure hardened?) steel as well as some sort of steel alloy in their super waterfowl chokes that allows for turkey like constriction with the ability to handle any steel shot. The main reason that I started this thread was not to debate upon which sized shot can fit through whatever sized whole, it was to ask what the toughest chokes were and if they were available in a variety of constrictions. Based on their claims, it would seem as though the Trulock super waterfowl has the hardest steel, but they don't make that choke line in lesser constrictions. My ideal setup would be 4 chokes; cylinder (.730), skeet (.725), light modified (.715), and improved modified (.705). This would also serve me well for steel as they would translate into skeet-steel (.730), improved cylinder/ light modified-steel (.725), improved modified-steel (.715), and (less likely to be used) extra full-steel (.705). I don't necessarily no what options this leads me towards, as I'd like to be able to shoot any size of steel at any speed, but I feel as though that may be pipe-dream. Thank you for your time. -Ben

Top Bottom