• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I recently purchased a SCAR 17 which is probably the most fantastic gun I've ever owned that wasn't belt fed. I purchased the SCAR the same week I got engaged and she is wanting an expensive wedding so I am looking for an alternative if I can't afford to keep my SCAR. If I can't keep it, I think I would like to keep a semi-auto .308 around because ammo has dropped for them and it's a fun round. I'm debating between an H&K 91 clone (PTR or Century c308) and a FAL. I had an FAL in the past but it was a Century build so I wasn't very impressed with the quality of it. Also FAL's are extremely heavy, but I really like the way they look and feel (besides the weight). I've handled FA91 which is a H&K 91 clone but I wasn't entirely impressed by its quality either, but I have never seen or held either a PTR rifle or a Century c308. I'm skeptical of anything century but the reviews aren't terrible. The mags are also really cheap which is nice. If have to get rid of my SCAR and want to stay with a lower end .308 which would you choose?

Links to what I'm looking at

I'm not a fan of the pakerizing, I would like black but beggars can't be choosers.

PTR INDUSTRIES | PTR GI 308WIN 18 OD GRN STOCK PARKERIZED 20RD | Member Price: $714.3 | PN:PTR_GI915300 | UPC:897903002442 | 10 DOLLAR GUN CLUB

Its black, $100 cheaper, has rail already installed, but.... it's Century

Century Arms C308 Sporter Rifle RI2253-X

This one defeats the purpose of being a rifle but this is what really like. Can you put the wide black G3 style handguard on the 18" barreled rifle?

PTR K3P PDW .308 Pistol Atlantic Firearms Exclusive

Here's the FAL option. It's big, heavy, but proven design and awesome looking but still $1100.

DSA FAL SA58 Rifle VOYAGER 16

What would you guys do? Or go to a VEPR in 54r because I already have 9,000rds of ammo for it? So many choices!! :ar15:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If it were me I'd keep the SCAR, buy another gun or two you have listed here and say "baby I don't have the money to 'waste' on a wedding, but if it helps I'll sell one, or maybe two of my guns to help out." Then sell off one or two of the ones you don't want, ONLY if you HAVE to sell something that is!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If it were me I'd keep the SCAR, buy another gun or two you have listed here and say "baby I don't have the money to 'waste' on a wedding, but if it helps I'll sell one, or maybe two of my guns to help out." Then sell off one or two of the ones you don't want, ONLY if you HAVE to sell something that is!

INGO: Sometimes better at guns than marriage.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've been looking into the PTR's for months. The quality is there and many come with a rail. When I was ready to buy they were out of stock so I spent the money on other things.

The pistol is cool and would be fun but I think that's all it could really be. The short barrel and 308 wouldn't really be any better than 762x39 so I'd go for this:
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ifles/ptr-32-pistol-2557-detail.html?Itemid=0

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've thought about the ones that use ak mags, because I have tons of those too, but I think if I go that route I'll want to stick to the .308

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Um, how can you not afford to keep a gun you've already purchased?

Keep the SCAR and cut costs on the wedding. If she's worth marrying then she wants you not a big fancy wedding. If she wants a big fancy wedding, maybe think about pushing the date back and see how things go.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Um, how can you not afford to keep a gun you've already purchased?

Keep the SCAR and cut costs on the wedding. If she's worth marrying then she wants you not a big fancy wedding. If she wants a big fancy wedding, maybe think about pushing the date back and see how things go.

Honestly I think I would rather travel a bit (if that what she decides) then have the SCAR. If she decides to do it state side then I'll probably keep it, but I think everyone seems to be missing the point of the thread

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I own a PTR-91...

0ff758f7-9018-42d9-8a5b-fa29c926273f_zpsf6f3bd97.jpg

and a FN/FAL...

IMG_0410_zps5hqpte40.jpg

And recently I gifted my CETME to my nephew...he needed a .308 MBR in his collection. Of the three the FAL is the most accurate, of course the 8 1/2 inch barrel on the PTR isn't set up for long range accuracy...waiting for my SBR stamp to get here. All three however are equally reliable, no failures in any of them once I corrected a headspace issue in the CETME. They all run flawlessly. Of course if you reload the HK patterns do flute the brass and the FAL adds a big dent...that is if you can find the brass...all three throw it far away. The FAL is a heavy rifle but so is the PTR. I like both platform quite well but I like the FAL hold open after the last round but prefer the HK charging bolt system better. The PTR is easier to scope as well and HK mags are dirt cheap right now.

I would probably go with the PTR.

Last edited:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I took a PTR and welded a LONG piece of rail to the top (had it machined to fit, used Aluminum round stock as a heat sink inside the receiver). I ground down the welds and went over the entire mating area with JB Weld. Sanded that down. Cerakote over top, it'll look like a one piece deal.
    Mounted a 2.5-16x42 Bushnell Elite 6500 on top. Bill Springfield trigger job.
    Just need a MagPul PRS stock and bipod to finish it off.

That being said, get moissanite, not a diamond. What a waste of money. If your lady insists on a big rock and would be ok with you selling a SCAR 17 to do so, reevaluate your relationship bro.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Honestly I think I would rather travel a bit (if that what she decides) then have the SCAR. If she decides to do it state side then I'll probably keep it, but I think everyone seems to be missing the point of the thread

No, I think you're missing the point. You'd rather have a destination wedding than a SCAR 17? Are sure you belong on INGO?

Purple implied but not expressed.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Along the lines with a few others here. I would say if the cost of FN Scar makes or breaks your bank account with a wedding, I believe you need to rethink what and how your your financial situation is..
    And I keep reading..She...She ..She.. It should be a compromise.. We..we...we

And I thought the Brides daddy was supposed to pay for the wedding. ?
    Times change I guess.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    No, I think you're missing the point. You'd rather have a destination wedding than a SCAR 17? Are sure you belong on INGO?

Purple implied but not expressed.

I'm just going to put this out there..... $2,000 dollars isn't going to make an extravagant wedding even on a buddy's back porch in Bedford, IN, let alone overseas..

Again; Keep the rifle, buy 2 more.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm just going to put this out there..... $2,000 dollars isn't going to make an extravagant wedding even on a buddy's back porch in Bedford, IN, let alone overseas..

Not sure why you quoted me. I completely agree with you. I think he should keep his SCAR.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

If its gonna be in Bedford a few bucks could be saved by using someone's stuffed fox or turkey on the table instead of a ice sculpture..

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Keep the SCAR and buy a ring/diamond that you can afford.
    If she's a keeper, you can always upgrade her ring for your 10 year anniversary or when ever.

I have a black SCAR 17 and you're right, they are fantastic.
    I've had an HK91 and a FAL, both are very heavy (12-14lbs if I remember right).
    The HK91 is just has heavy as the FAL.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Along the lines with a few others here. I would say if the cost of FN Scar makes or breaks your bank account with a wedding, I believe you need to rethink what and how your your financial situation is..
    And I keep reading..She...She ..She.. It should be a compromise.. We..we...we

And I thought the Brides daddy was supposed to pay for the wedding. ?
    Times change I guess.

I can't seem to rep you! I don't remember what I got you for last time, but I seem to like what you have to say!

To the OP, sorry we haven't been helpful, but I'd really try and keep the SCAR, it is such a nice weapon. If you had to get a different rifle, I don't think the HK is a bad choice... I have a friend who has been talking about selling his, so if that's what you want let me know and I'll give you his contact info (he's an INGO guy).

Top Bottom