• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Looking for information on the recoil of the 358 Hoosier. I've had shoulder surgery in the past and recoil is very difficult for me. I'm an hunting deer with a AR pistol in 300 blackout and I like it but would something with more range. I have a 50 t/c muzzleloader That I use for black powder season. I can handle that recoil but it's a push not a smack.
    Any advice?
    thansk

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Since the .358 Hoosier is based on the .358 Winchester, which is in the .308 family, but with a heavier bullet, and is suitable for elk, bear, and deer, I'm going to say it's going to have some recoil. You could have a muzzle break added, add weight to the rifle, and all the other little things that could be done to lengthen the recoil time, or redirect the energy. You could also have an AR-10 custom made for .358 Hoosier and being semi-auto, that should take some of the sting out.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    I have experienced the opposite. My father owns a "358x1.8 Just Hunt" bolt gun and it is very smooth. I would say the recoil is the same if not less than my T/C Encore loaded with 150 grains of powder. Those 358's are wicked and smooth in my opinion. I'd love to have one.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I've got some 358 Winchesters. Recoil is something that is subjective to the user, and there are a lot of variables that affect the perception of recoil. I don't think it's much...but then again I shoot 50 rounds of 375 Ruger off the bench quite regularly. The 358 Ruger puts out about 3000 foot-lbs of energy. If you can handle 180 grain loads in a 30-06 then you can handle the 358 as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you only going to be hunting in Indiana?

I'm trying to reconcile "more range than .300 blk" ...

If your scope dope is good, you don't need another cartridge for "more range"; it sounds like you need more practice.

I'm all for you buying something new, though, if you want. But don't make it a quest for a magic talisman.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Tatically fat,
    I do have the dope for the 300 blackout, but I would like to get out of the pistol format and in to a bolt gun for Indiana deer.
    i am also looking at something I can take to Alaska to hunt someday. Looking at the reach out and touch of the 358 cal.
    The AR-10 platform may be something to look at. Is there a source for 35 cal AR style barrels?
    just asking.
    Always looking for a fun project.
    Again thanks for the help

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm completely and totally on board with new projects!

Just being sure that you weren't just kind of peeing into the wind, so to speak.

Best to you on your quest for a big game slayer! :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are AR barrels in so many different calibers I would be surprised if you couldn't find what you're looking for. Was the surgery only on your right shoulder? If so, have you ever fired left handed?

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I have a Remngton 700 in 358 Hoosier, youre more than welcome to come to the south west side of Indy and shoot it in my back yard if you would like.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a model 7 that I had re-barrelled to 358 Hoosier. When it was in 308 it was a pain to shoot. It hurt to shoot it! After having it re-barrelled with a magnum profile and 2" longer than the stock barrel. It shot much better. Oh, I had the plastic recoil pad replaced with a Kick eez recoil pad. After I got it back from the Gun Smith it worked great. It no longer hurt to shoot it. That weekend I put 100 rounds through it working up a load and sighting in the scope. No sore shoulder and it is a pleasure to shoot.

The new barrel added about a half pound to the rifle and I can't say enough about the kick eez recoil pad. It works great. Now I am no small packager I stand 6' and go better than 250. I shoot 44 mag hand guns with no problems or pain. I did have a 300 Weatherby mag that I shot and the model 7 hurt more to shoot before I had the work dun.

What I am getting at is that if you get a good recoil pad and a stock that fits you you should do fine. You can also pick up a shoulder pad for shooting like the skeet guys use to lessen the blow. I put one on my girls and new shooters when I am showing them how to shoot. I don't know anyone that likes shooting to be painful.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Well I did it. I put a 358 Hoosier on order. Just Hunt is building mine in a TC Venture blued action with stainless barrel.
    very excited about getting it home!!!!

Top Bottom