• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rock Island releases the M22, a .22 TCM bolt-action rifle.

(Video at bottom)

20151122_143156-660x371.jpg

Review: Rock Island Arsenal M22 TCM BA - The .22 TCM Chambered Bolt Action Rifle - The Firearm Blog

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    This could be the one way that the 22TCM takes a real world advantage over the 5.7 - by providing a legitimate cost effective long gun.

Th only long gun options for the 5.7 are a PS90 ($1,400) or a AR 5.7 build ($700 for the upper + $200 for a complete lower = $900 rifle): Both of which are priced out of most peoples hands. FN promised us a 5.7 bolt gun years ago, and it never happened... Savage keeps promising us a Model 25 in 5.7 but it has yet to actually happen... 'Excel Arms' supposedly has a 5.7 rifle that takes proprietary mags but it is basically vaporware and I don't even recall even seeing a sponsored review.

If RIA can bring a decent carbine to market for $400 - especially a variant with some rudimentary irons - I think they will have a winner on their hands.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw one a few months ago. Guy shot it a few times and sold it.
    Gun was a little on the rough side. Never did get accuracy report.

I'll take a better built .22 mag or .222 or heaven forbid, an AR.

Think this rifle for the folks who think a handgun/rifle combo is cool.
    I never bought into that concept.
    Bet the orig owner of the TCM rifle was a past subscriber of such.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had a TCM pistol, what a hoot! Very fun to shoot, no recoil and FIRE! Sold it because it was just a plinker for me and I couldn't justify keeping it around for the cost of ammo, which they go through quick. He who will not own an island gun bought it, then it proceeded to disassemble itself while he was shooting it..... :stickpoke:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a TCM pistol, what a hoot! Very fun to shoot, no recoil and FIRE! Sold it because it was just a plinker for me and I couldn't justify keeping it around for the cost of ammo, which they go through quick. He who will not own an island gun bought it, then it proceeded to disassemble itself while he was shooting it..... :stickpoke:

Had to bring that up again didn't you........:faint:

The gun is a freaking hoot to shoot. I love the fireball. No recoil to speak of save the slide hitting the stop.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

The gun is a freaking hoot to shoot. I love the fireball. No recoil to speak of save the slide hitting the stop.
    I feel bad about it coming apart on you, but feel I made the impossible happen with getting you to buy an island gun and enjoying it. :p

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I feel bad about it coming apart on you, but feel I made the impossible happen with getting you to buy an island gun and enjoying it. :p

Seems to have been a year for the impossible.
    Between you and BA I now own an island gun......and several 9mm pistols and a carbine. Must be slipping in my old age.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems to have been a year for the impossible.
    Between you and BA I now own an island gun......and several 9mm pistols and a carbine. Must be slipping in my old age.
    When one gets older it becomes easier to be tricked into doing things that one would not normally think of. Or so I've heard.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

Ohhh I see how it is. Giving RustyHornet a hard time for bringing it up but you have NO PROBLEM telling a complete stranger about it while standing in a parking lot.;)

P.S. going out to shoot it tonight. Let you know my impression tomorrow.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Ammo, if one did that, wouldn't one be constricted as to the number of calibers because of the bolt face/head?

It depends on how the bolt face and/or extractor are designed, sometimes you can go from 9mm Luger to .38 Super without a new bolt. The semi-rim on the .38 Super isn't that much bigger and most bolt faces actually have enough clearance for it, for me the more troublesome aspect is that the depth of the extractor groove is not as deep in .38 Super; the extractor bottoms out hard against the bottom of the groove and won't allow the case head to slide on up the bolt face. The ideal way to engineer around this is to have an extractor that doesn't engage as deeply, but engages around a relatively large area of the rim (gives positive extraction while being flexible in regards to minor variations in extractor groove depth and rim diameter). If quick change barrels are possible with this design, a few minor tweaks to the bolt face and extractor would make it possible to do AT LEAST the following calibers with single stack 1911 mags:
    .22 TCM
    .30 Luger
    9mm Luger
    .38 Super

I'll think more on this after lunch, there may be other possibilities. 7.62x25 Tokarev is too long and would create mag or magwell issues. From working on Uzi carbines, .40 S&W might be a possibility even with a 9mm bolt face (again, depending on clearance inherent in the design).

Top Bottom