• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Last year I got a heck of a deal on a new Remington 783 in 30-06. I didn't really need it but couldn't pass it up, anyway I have read a bit about the 783 and some may have a rough bore. I don't have a bore scope to check mine. I'm wondering if I should lapp the barrel with some JB paste before I ever shoot it. Petzal, Field and Stream's gun editor, says it's a shooter inspite of the rough bore. I just don't want to copper foul it right off the bat!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Breaking in will help. And copper fouling can be removed. I'm not going to say not to use JB, but I really haven't used anything of theirs except bore brite, so I'm not experienced with the lapping.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well here is my two cents for what they are worth....I used Tubbs Final Finish rounds on my 1894 and it was the best money I ever spent on a gun...went from 3"-4" groups to 1" groups.....BUT on the flip side that was a final measure after trying 7 different types of ammo.....I would shoot it first using different rounds to see if you have a shooter already before I go jacking with it...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    NO. (caveat that firelapping can be useful)

JB products are not lapping. They're not harder than the steel, and therefore, cannot lap it.

The first thing to do is to SHOOT the rifle instead of finger-fiddle it.

-Nate

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used JB bore paste and Kroil to break in my Rock River NM, like they recommended. The patches did seem to come out with less effort and the gun shoots extremely well at all distances I've tried, out to 500 yards. It is a pain to shoot and clean and repeat for so many rounds during the break in, but I think it is worth it. It'll pretty much take up a full day at the range.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Breaking in barrels is a great way to avoid shooting and as such it has many adherents. But a guy who has owned a rifle for a year and is busy reading Field & Stream to "learn" about it, has already mastered that art and needs no further advice on avoiding the task.

Best let the rifle continue to laccumulate hours in the rack. Another couple of trips around the sun and you might score a guest column at F&S.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Breaking in barrels is a great way to avoid shooting and as such it has many adherents. But a guy who has owned a rifle for a year and is busy reading Field & Stream to "learn" about it, has already mastered that art and needs no further advice on avoiding the task.

Best let the rifle continue to laccumulate hours in the rack. Another couple of trips around the sun and you might score a guest column at F&S.

:lmfao:You are such a bad boy........

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have never lapped a barrel, but I have read about it .....

I don't shoot 1 moa, either .....

It just depends, on what you want out of the rifle .....

If you are happy with 2" groups, with your reloads, at 200 yards, like I am, then no need .....

If you are want to shoot 1 moa, then go buy 10 or 20 boxes of different ammo, mfg, weight, etc, and see what it will do .....

If you reload, after shooting half a box of each ammo, then reload, and shoot some more .....

after 100 - 200 rounds you should know what the stock rifle is capable of doing ..... and what you are capable of also .....

Then, lap away .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County

Always brutal honesty lol

But as a guy who has broken in a total of one barrel to date, I have to agree. What I did was to take it to the rang and shoot it, then repeat. The rifle still outshoots me and will likely to continue to for some time. By the time you catch up to the rifle, you will be moving on to something different IMO. Go Shoot!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have never lapped a barrel, but I have read about it .....

I don't shoot 1 moa, either .....

It just depends, on what you want out of the rifle .....

If you are happy with 2" groups, with your reloads, at 200 yards, like I am, then no need .....

If you are want to shoot 1 moa, then go buy 10 or 20 boxes of different ammo, mfg, weight, etc, and see what it will do .....

If you reload, after shooting half a box of each ammo, then reload, and shoot some more .....

after 100 - 200 rounds you should know what the stock rifle is capable of doing ..... and what you are capable of also .....

Then, lap away .....

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

You do realize, this is 1 MOA? 2 inches at 200 yards is 1 MOA.

Good advice though.. I too am an advocate of lots of rounds downrange. It seems most folks on these forums ooh and aah over how a rifle looks. Not the results on the target downrange. I like looking at tiny groups. From position. With a sling.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Varmint hunter/reloader for decades.
    Never did barrel break in.

Break-in might reduce variability by extending cleaning interval.

Weather usually dictates my cleaning routine.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I use JB bore paste and Kroil on patches prior to shooting 99% of the rifles I have and have owned. 10 patches 10 passes each with a couple clean patches between. Rifle barrels clean much easier after the JB patches. A shooting buddy had issues with copper fouling and absolutely hated cleaning his .308. I took it home and JB/Kroil patched the barrel after cleaning it with Shooters Choice. He was amazed at how much easier it cleaned up and with little to no fouling.

Top Bottom