• ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Hello Ingo -

I am *THIS CLOSE* to ordering all the remaining parts (everything except the stripped lower) for this rifle. I will be buying a complete upper, which means I need a lpk, sights, and stock kit. My question really has to deal with makers of my lpk. Does it really matter? Are the all the same? Obviously the trigger is biggie, but all of the detents, springs, bolt catch etc...? I have seen some kits range from $50 all the way up to $250.

If I can find a reputable kit that has an MOE grip (grey), I'd be a happy camper. Below is a list of all parts I plan on using. Any advice would be helpful.

LPK

Stock Kit

Sights

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    I believe difference is mainly in trigger. It will depend on what the end use is for your build. If it's going to be a defensive carbine, then I would be happy with any quality lpk. I've used cmmg and think it's pretty good for the money, about $70. Redbarnarmory.com lets you pick lpk components a la carte, which is pretty cool. I was looking at an lpk with an ALG qms trigger, which is supposed to be a crisper mil-spec trigger. That ended up around $90 shipped. They let you add various grips to the lpk as well. I think there are something like 1,000,000 combinations of lpk that you can choose from from redbarn armory. To your original point, my research hasn't found anything that would lead me to believe that detents, detent springs, bolt catch, and mag release parts, when made by a reputable manufacturer to mil-spec, are much different.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm getting ready for my second build and was wondering the same thing about the lower parts.
    I used Anderson lpk for my first build (budget) but on this build I'm not in a big hurry to build so I can spend a bit more over time if things are better.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm getting ready for my second build and was wondering the same thing about the lower parts.
    I used Anderson lpk for my first build (budget) but on this build I'm not in a big hurry to build so I can spend a bit more over time if things are better.
    If this is your second build and you went budget for the first build I would say go ahead and atleast try out one of the better trigger group options out there if it's something that suits the budget.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    The redbarnarmory site is pretty sweet! That might be what I do. I assume that the kit you got installed and performed as expected? If you look at my above link, the lpk I have includes a 2 stage Geissele 2-stage. Does any one have any experience with a kit from Brownells? Are they solid?

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    cbickel- "I assume that the kit you got installed and performed as expected?"

OP- Sorry, should have clarified, I have not purchsed an lpk from redbarn, only perused. The cmmg kit that I have installed functioned as expected.

edit...and I did that "reply with quote" thing wrong

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    cbickel- "I assume that the kit you got installed and performed as expected?"

OP- Sorry, should have clarified, I have not purchsed an lpk from redbarn, only perused. The cmmg kit that I have installed functioned as expected.

edit...and I did that "reply with quote" thing wrong
    Have you or anyone else heard anything good or bad about that redbarn kit? It sound like a good deal if the parts are quality and mil spec. Everyone says that they have quality parts, but alot of the time time the reviews say otherwise.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    No experience with red barn kits. Some research led me to white oak armory. So, I just ordered an LPK from them, less trigger. Will update when it arrives. WOA lpk's get good feedback on forums, so we'll see. Price was within pennies of red barn lpk.

Been happy with my cmmg lpk, too.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've bought a lot of LPK and (not talking about fire control groups) the G&R tactical has the best feeling safety. It has a nice "snick" compared to the cheaper ones.

Triggers run the gamut from dragging a brick through gravel to snapping a candy cane. The main difference here is how much they cost me.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    G&R's kits typically contain LMT parts, though they use Colt from time to time. The LPK linked in the OP is Colt also, apart from the FCG.

To answer the original questions:
    No, not all LPKs are the same.

Yes, it can matter.

There are plenty of kits out there with dimensional variations that render them useless. It's an odds game, and going with a mil-spec manufacturer (only Colt sells them...) or someone else of demonstrated quality increases the odds your parts and your lower will align. This is aside from the truly low end kits with roll pins rather than spiral and hair thin springs, which should be avoided.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    G&R's kits typically contain LMT parts, though they use Colt from time to time. The LPK linked in the OP is Colt also, apart from the FCG.

To answer the original questions:
    No, not all LPKs are the same.

Yes, it can matter.

There are plenty of kits out there with dimensional variations that render them useless. It's an odds game, and going with a mil-spec manufacturer (only Colt sells them...) or someone else of demonstrated quality increases the odds your parts and your lower will align. This is aside from the truly low end kits with roll pins rather than spiral and hair thin springs, which should be avoided.
    The Brownells kit is made by Colt?

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My 2 cents only

I've bought all kinds of LPKs, usually tending to lowest cost. Sometimes I've even bought them by the piece from midwayusa and brownells. Sometimes I've had issues with parts and fit.

Once I purchased my Wilson Combat 458 SOCOM rifle, as well as some other things Wilson, and see the fit and finish of their stuff, I would tend to purchase from them in most cases if I were wanting to build a rifle.

Here is their small parts kit, which is not a full LPK. But the beauty is that it leaves you to decide which trigger to get (I prefer the Spikes Battle Trigger - also linked but sold out at Aim Surplus), which grip (I like the BCM over standard, hogue or magpul), and stock (Rogers super-stoc my preference). I would note that I would change out the stock trigger guard with the Wilson tactical trigger guard as well, but again that's preference.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lower-Receiver-Small-Parts-Kit-AR-Style/productinfo/TR-LOWERK/

Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I went with the cmmg and it has worked great and the trigger is acceptable. This LPK only cost me about $50.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have only built one with the trigger that comes with a LPK. I smoothed it up some as I was building it and for a combat, SHTF, whatever rifle, it is fine. All my other builds have Geiselle's.

The rest of the parts in the kit have never posed any issues for me. I always check them carefully under my loupe and massage any rough edges and smooth the mating surfaces if necessary.

I usually pay around $35 for a kit sans trigger. I buy from various sources depending on who has the best price at the time. I will say though that I have never bought a part for an AR build from Brownell's.

Top Bottom