• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    I'm thinking about trying to put together a good AK. I have built several AR's. Now just wanting to try an AK kit. Just wanting to get some opinions on the best place to get Receivers and parts kits. I am aware this is not as easy as building an AR.

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Why are you trying to build an milled AK? Those kits are available but the receivers are a lot more expensive. Most of the tooling is for AKMs (receiver from flats).

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    I was under the impression that milled receivers were a little tougher. Should I consider otherwise? If It doesn't make sense to build one because of tooling cost is there a Certain Ak you would buy for the money? Is there a place were i could rent the tools necessary to build an AK?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    You have a few choices for milled recievers.....Arsenal, CNC Warrior, assault wespons of ohio(aka Ohio Rapid Fire),Tortort (make 80% milled recievers), and mygunsnorthwest (will offer rewelds). Strongly recommend CNC warrior! AVOID OHIO RAPID FIRE!!!! It's junk and sometimes unsafe.

What is the orgin of your kit?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    If you are building for your first rifle, I would suggest a flat build first. I don't know where you can rent tools, but we have AK build parties from time to time near Indianapolis. The next one will likely be in the Spring. Keep an eye on the gunsmithing forum.

You can find AK kits and receivers at many places, but most tools come from either AK Builder or Toth Tools. I use both and have several videos on my channel on how to build AKs.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I recently stopped in at usds and asked about when their next build party would be and was told they where shooting for sometime in February.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I wasn't expecting another build party till spring but if they can set one up in February that's pretty sweet! Far as toolwise you can build a milled without the use most of the ak riveting jigs (other than the trigger guard there isnt much riveting to do on a milled kit other than the bullet guide) which you dont use a rivet jig to install a bullet guide anyways! Milled kits are much simpler to build than stamped kits simply because there are less steps... most of us AK guys to include me prefer building stamped kits however if you want a milled kit go for it they certainly are quicker to build (i have a several milled kits myself). on the terms of reliability of stamped vs milled its probbly leans in favor of a stamped akm but the difference would almost go unnoticed (so don't let that me a major determining factor) As wabbit said milled receivers are far more expensive (A CNC warrier runs around 475/500 ish) but are top of the line ORF run $200ish and are junk.... If you got a rare milled kit or just gotta have one go for it... otherwise stamped aks have much more available and guys like me and wabbit and many others here can help you...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    CNC warrior is probably your best bet.

and if they put one together in Feb, good deal, but I probably won't plant to attend. At least if I do I won't be dragging tools over that quickly. I've just barely got my stuff setup back in my home shop from the last one!! lol

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'd build a stamped kit just because its a bit cheaper, then go from there. The build parties are fun, and you will learn a lot.

On a side note, I'd love to pick up one of the Tortort 80% receivers.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I'd build a stamped kit just because its a bit cheaper, then go from there. The build parties are fun, and you will learn a lot.

On a side note, I'd love to pick up one of the Tortort 80% receivers.

I'm looking for a excuse to pick one up! I got a Yugo m64 (with early bho device) almost done... cant seem to find the original bho mags for the m64 there a bit different than the m70 ones. But with Childers FCG layout jigs its should make for a easy build

Top Bottom