• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    So I purchased several Stevens rifles from an estate and one of them was a Stevens 26 1/2 Crack Shot but was labeled "22-Shot" and it's a smooth bore. I don't know a lot about these rifles but I have never seen one before in 22 shot? I have seen them in .22 long and .32 but never .22-shot, am I missing something here or is this a common thing for the Crack Shots?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    They made them, they used to make a crimped .22 shotshell, B4 CCI, made their "modern" .22 shotshells .....

Interesting, I have a couple of old .22 crimped shot shells that came in a baggy of ammo from a yard sale. Are they less common than .22 rifle or have just seen more of those?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Winchester still makes crimped 22 shotshells, I use the in my smoothbore Remington 572, they pattern much better than the CCI capsule shells do.

572.jpg

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Back when the .22 ammo shortage first began, the crimped shot shells were the last type to disappear from the shelf.

Federal also makes them, besides the Winchester that 451_Detonics mentioned.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    They were common referred to as garden guns and I would probably be interested in taking it off of your hands if you are so inclined.

Dirty Steve

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Winchester made the M67 in a smoothbore 22 as well. Killed hundreds of pigeons in barns during high school with mine and got paid for it through an FFA Pest Drive.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.P. About a year ago someone gave me what is referred to as "Moskeeto" clays.
    They are black, and measure 2-3/4" across. Very small for clays.

I did some research and found these tiny clays were often used at state/county fairs back in the day.
    They used smooth bore .22's and shot, and they shot at them inside the large barns.

Daisy actually made a smooth bore .22 that had a clay thrower attachment that hooked to the barrel of the rifle.
    The idea was you could throw a single clay and shoot it by yourself.
    I wondered what the "recoil" from the thrower did to the muzzle direction just prior to the shot.

Sounded like fun.
    O.P. I have several dozen of these "Moskeeto" clays.
    If you'd like to try your hand at some, pm me and I'll send you a couple of handfuls.
    Tried to offer them for sale but couldn't generate any interest.
    They're just sitting here taking up space...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    you said its a stevens 26 1/2 is that the model number or the barrel length?

if you want some shells the gunshop in west Louisville (whitakers) had some last week but the limit was 1 box per person (Winchester NOT the cci), a co workers wife bought him a smoothbore 22 for Christmas and he needed shells

if you wanted to sell it, I don't think you'd have any problem (especially if its a 26.5 inch barrel!) there are a few spot shoots around southern Indiana that have 22 cal matches, my friend thought he'd be sneaky and bought a 22 savage mark 1 at whitakers, (they special order mark 1's from Canada that are single shot smoothbore bolt actions they order 200 at a time), he and his dad drove from eville over there, and bought the last 2 he had.

the next day at the spot shoot, when they called for 22's he and his dad waked to the line, looked up and down the line, and everybody was shooting savage mark 1 bolt action single shot smoothbores!

Top Bottom