• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've just started investigating 300 blackout uppers for my M&P15. I'm not looking for the "best" just a "decent" upper. The ones at which I've looked so far are by Hardened Arms and Palmetto State Armory. They both have what I want but I don't know anything about them. I've read comments in some of the forums about their uppers and all of them have been positive. Any input you can give about the companies and/or their products will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Brock

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got an Aero Precision I really like.. My buddy has the new BCM and it's pretty sweet also. He wishes it was about an inch longer but it's a very nice rifle, but it should be, it's BCM.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've just started investigating 300 blackout uppers for my M&P15. I'm not looking for the "best" just a "decent" upper. The ones at which I've looked so far are by Hardened Arms and Palmetto State Armory. They both have what I want but I don't know anything about them. I've read comments in some of the forums about their uppers and all of them have been positive. Any input you can give about the companies and/or their products will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Brock

+1 for Hardened Arms. I bought their 300 in stainless and this is my second purchase. I have their 7.62x39 and love it. I've looked at SOTA Arms and MAS Defense but will use Hardened Arms for all my uppers.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    if your M&P15 is chambered in 5.56 then use the money you would spend on a complete upper and just buy a match grade barrel in .300blk...it'll drop right in

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    if your M&P15 is chambered in 5.56 then use the money you would spend on a complete upper and just buy a match grade barrel in .300blk...it'll drop right in

"Drop right in" = dissasembling upper (muzzle device, gas block+tube, etc), change barrels + check head space, torque, reassemble upper = a lot of work for average joes that might not want to do that every time

It is much more convenient to have a complete upper, unless someone was making a permanent switch to 300blk. Since the OP asked about an upper, I think that's what he/she wants.

*for what it's worth, I really liked assembling my 300blk upper, but I wouldn't want to do it every time I wanted to change between calibers

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm researching the exact same thing, and I'm leaning toward the CMMG stainless. Comes with complete upper including bolt and bolt carrier. Biggest thing I've come across is that you want the bolt and barrel to stay as an exclusive pair.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    comparing the BCM and CMMG. Seem comparable for price point. One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere on the CMMG site is if their barrel/chamber are chrome lined. I'm in the 700-800 range.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm researching the exact same thing, and I'm leaning toward the CMMG stainless. Comes with complete upper including bolt and bolt carrier. Biggest thing I've come across is that you want the bolt and barrel to stay as an exclusive pair.

Kind of like chain and sprockets on a motorcycle. They wear together as a unit. The logic is sound.....

I know a few people that like to keep bolts and barrels together (not the same full BCG, just the bolt itself). This is the reason that a lot of barrel manufacturers offer "matched pairs" with their varmint or competition rifles. This especially aids in maintaining headspacing.

On the other hand, AR15s really are like Legos and if parts are within spec, you should be able to use any quality bolt in any quality barrel extension. THat is a big "should" and it is always better to verify spacing, wear, quality, etc.

Top Bottom