• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Looking for a under 16in barrel for a home defense AR. What barrel length would be most deadly but still reliable and compact.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    At in home ranges (10m or less), any barrel length will be fine.

If you're talking defense of a home with 800 yards of field in front of it, I'd be looking at a 16" plus barrel.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Close range pretty much any AR caliber will do with under a 16" barrel, just depends on how much muzzle flash you want.

Home defense 300blk pistol would be hard to beat, and if you don't intend on shooting it much that ammo costs wouldn't be a concern

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Looking for a under 16in barrel for a home defense AR. What barrel length would be most deadly but still reliable and compact.

Your question is worded a bit oddly --
    **I am not a lawyer**
    *I'll assume we're talking about an AR in .223*
    In general shorter barrels produce lower velocities and produce more flash and concussion. They are still very "deadly" (to use your word). On the long end, the longest common service barrel was a 20" barrel on the original M16A1. Over time, the preference has moved towards shorter barrels.
    To keep things legal, and not construct an illegal firearm (like an unregistered Short Barreled Rifle [SBR]), I'd highly recommend using a 16" barrel. You'll NEED to keep the barrel over 16" and the overall length over 26" to be in compliance. Some people build an AR pistol in order to have a shorter barrel without having to go through the hassle and $$ of building a proper SBR. If you consider that, you cannot put a buttstock on it. Google is your friend to look up more details.

Back to your question -
    Use a 16" barrel if you want it to be compact (or at least compact-ish).
    The next best choice would be a 14.5" barrel, but then you'll need to have a muzzle device permanently attached to get it to the minimum 16"

In other words, just use a 16" barrel. :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Your question is worded a bit oddly --
    **I am not a lawyer**
    *I'll assume we're talking about an AR in .223*
    In general shorter barrels produce lower velocities and produce more flash and concussion. They are still very "deadly" (to use your word). On the long end, the longest common service barrel was a 20" barrel on the original M16A1. Over time, the preference has moved towards shorter barrels.
    To keep things legal, and not construct an illegal firearm (like an unregistered Short Barreled Rifle [SBR]), I'd highly recommend using a 16" barrel. You'll NEED to keep the barrel over 16" and the overall length over 26" to be in compliance. Some people build an AR pistol in order to have a shorter barrel without having to go through the hassle and $$ of building a proper SBR. If you consider that, you cannot put a buttstock on it. Google is your friend to look up more details.

Back to your question -
    Use a 16" barrel if you want it to be compact (or at least compact-ish).
    The next best choice would be a 14.5" barrel, but then you'll need to have a muzzle device permanently attached to get it to the minimum 16"

In other words, just use a 16" barrel. :)

Glad someone finally brought this up.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm ignoring any legal implications since your question didn't ask about them.

5.56mm has been tested to be ballistically sound, within acceptable ranges of loss, down to a 10.5" barrel. Any shorter than that and wounding ability starts to drop off rapidly. I'd recommend at least a 10.5", or 11.5" barrel.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I would agree with the 10.5" barrel, especially if by home defense, you mean predominantly inside the home.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH

9" 300 BLK be the best for reliable, compact and have great ballistics for putting down bad guys. But as with any short barrel AR, suppressor is highly recommended.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you trust BCM, which I tend to. Then 11.5 is the optimum barrel length for 5.56. I had a link at one point but I'm on my phone right now.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you trust BCM, which I tend to. Then 11.5 is the optimum barrel length for 5.56. I had a link at one point but I'm on my phone right now.

That's a long phone call.

Is this what you wanted to post?
    BCM BFH 11.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ KMR 10" Handguard

I second the 9" 300BLK. ESPECIALLY if you can suppress it. Barnes makes some rounds for the 300blk that will take a hog down quickly. You can easily make it into pistol form and avoid NFA.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom