• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    By no means do I consider myself a firearms expert, more of just mildly educated enough to figure it out as I go. I bought my first AR-15 Rifle last week, and wanted to share my experience and opinion on the M&P 15 Sport ll.

I have wanted to buy an AR-15 for a while, I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money. We all know its a trap once you buy one because all of the accessories, ammo, modifications that end up costing more than the guy itself. Here is the advice I can give to any rookies looking to buy an AR, from one rookie to another...

1. Shop Around - I spent about 2 days going to different shops locally (I live in Fort Wayne, IN) until I found a deal, or at least what I think a good deal was. I went to Freedom Firearms, ZxGun, Rural King, Gander Mountain. Long story short, Rural King kicked everyone's ass on price for the M&P Sport. Freedom didn't have one, ZxGun didn't have one, Gander wanted $739 for the one they had. I looked at a few other AR's at Freedom and Zx, but just seemed like too much money for a "starter". Ended up buying it at Rural King, for $619. I was just looking for an entry level, base model AR that was a good way for me to explore and learn. I was actually surprised by how competitive the pricing on firearms is at Rural King, but definitely worth checking out if you're in the market.

2. Educated Dealers - I was surprised at some of the stuff the "gun sales" people at Gander Mountain told me, they clearly don't all know what they are talking about. Freedom Firearms and ZxGun both have very educated firearms salesman. The manager at ZxGun I was most impressed with, I don't think there is anything he doesn't know the answer too, and not just the answer but the explanation behind his answers. Rural King doesn't have the most educated salesman, but anything is better than Gander. What I'm trying to get at is speak to the people at reputable dealers before buying. Gander Mountain told me that $739 was the "best price in town", and they also told me there was no difference between and optics ready M&P and the base model, which is not true at all. Note : The difference is the base model has a front sight that is very, very difficulty to remove. I kept mine on when I mounted the scope, but if you are all the way zoomed out on your scope you see the front sight mount. May remove this at a later date but haven't wanted to mess with it yet. The "optics ready" version just has a rail where that sight is on the base model, making it easy to add a scope without any obstruction. I'm not willing to pay an extra $200 just for the optics ready version of the gun though. ($939 at Gander Mountain).

3. Scope - After purchasing the gun the next big step is getting a scope. I chose to get a long range scope because that is simply what I wanted to use the gun for. I actually ended up buying it at Gander Mountain, simply because they had a good deal on it. I bought a Bushnell AR 1/4 - 30mm scope, and I am fairly impressed with it. It was $199.99 and a good starter scope. Typical Gander Mountain tried to sell me a scope mount for $89 that doesn't even work on my gun, they insisted it did, but I researched online to find out with this particular gun the only way to go is a cantilever mount. I bought that at ZxGun for $99.99.

4. Accessories - Now this was my favorite part, buying all the accessories and modifications to make the AR "mine". I went to Wrigley's in Fort Wayne (only place in town that had it) to buy a quad rail attachment to get rid of the ugly hand guard. It was just $25. It took a little work to put it on, but figured out if you put the bottom piece of the quad rail on first, the top slides in much easier. I also purchased a laser (for short range shooting), fore-grip w/ bi-pod, and a limb saver for the butt of the stock. Still waiting to receive some of those since I ordered everything but the rail online.

5. Ammo - I have always purchased all of my ammo from freedommunitions.com, and continue to do so with .223. They have good prices and ship directly to your house. I ordered 250 rounds from them that I'm waiting to be delivered.

May be more to come to this post as I continue to experiment with modifications of the AR. But figured I would share my experience with anyone (mainly rookies) in the market for an M&P 15 Sport ll.

image1.jpg image2_1.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Congrats on the beginning to a new addiction. You picked a great entry level AR. I actually run one of those Bushnell 1-4 on my AR as well and have been pleased with it. I personally wouldn't have bothered with a laser, find them kind of gimmick-y but to each their own. You may take a look at the magpul handguards, they will make holding the handguard more pleasant than the quad rail but can attach sections of rail for accessories and such. As for the front sight, that is also your gas block (which you need for the rifle to function properly) and the pins are tappered. They only can be driven out one way and back in the opposite of direction of removal. You can replace it with a low profile gas block and is fairly simple to do so.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Congrat on your rifle, and yes, S&W front sight posts/pinned gas blocks can be a SOB to get off.

Typical Gander Mountain tried to sell me a scope mount for $89 that doesn't even work on my gun, they insisted it did, but I researched online to find out with this particular gun the only way to go is a cantilever mount.

Actually, the way you have your scope mounted, you could have gotten by with a high/X high set of 30mm rings

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    i was told the difference is the addition of a forward assist and a dust cover. i was looking at one yesterday at rural king. nice rifles. i wouldnt mind having one.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    i was told the difference is the addition of a forward assist and a dust cover. i was looking at one yesterday at rural king. nice rifles. i wouldnt mind having one.

I'm picking up bits of info here and there, and in addition to the forward assist and dust cover, it looks like the barrel is melonite coated, inside and out, which may be the same as the original, but with 6 groove mil-spec rifling, instead of 5R. They also went to 1/9 twist rate instead of the 1/8 they had before.

If anyone knows any other differences, I'd be curious to hear about them.

This looks like a hell of a nice rifle, especially for the money!

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I'm picking up bits of info here and there, and in addition to the forward assist and dust cover, it looks like the barrel is melonite coated, inside and out, which may be the same as the original, but with 6 groove mil-spec rifling, instead of 5R. They also went to 1/9 twist rate instead of the 1/8 they had before.

If anyone knows any other differences, I'd be curious to hear about them.

This looks like a hell of a nice rifle, especially for the money!

On the S&W page, the only difference noted is the forward assist and dust cover. The Melonite coating was trade marked by another manufacturer so S&W uses the process or a very similar process and a different name for it. The older sports had the 1 in 8 twist Thompson Center barrel, I can't remember what year the change in twist was made. I have a Sport I bought last year. It has the 1 in 9, six groove barrel. I haven't been paying attention to the S&W AR line lately so I didn't know the Sport II had came out. The Sport version was on sale for pretty cheap around Christmas at local stores. Nearly as cheap as I bought mine from GunBuyer.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Comes with an mbus rear sight also. Smith realized Rugers ar556 was a much better deal than the original sport so they came out with a better package.

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Did a few more mods since my last post...

1. Magpul Stock (well worth the $40 - purchased at ZxGun- Fort Wayne)
    2. Magpul Grip+ ($21, purchased from Ranger Supply - Fort Wayne)
    3. Foregrip w/ built in bipod
    4. Upgraded extended charging handle, needed this to extend in order to allow more room under the scope (purchased from Ranger Supply - Fort Wayne)
    5. Green Laser (extremely bright, $20).

Also had Ranger Supply order me a new gas block, and when it comes in they are going to remove the front sight and replace it with a quad rail gas block. (total cost $85)

image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg

Top Bottom