M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Which suppressor is that phylo?

Surefire Socom

I have a midlength with a fixed front sight post, so already have a longer sight radius. That being said, every other AR I have is a low pro gas block with a folding set of BUIS on them

Fixed front sight for a KISS/cause rifle. Folding BUIS on the other cause there is some sort of optic on them

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I've been looking for a front sight that clamps onto the barrel behind the brake, that's not a block... anybody seen a good one?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not an AR owner:

But I much prefer the aesthetics of a low profile gas block, longer rail, and flip up sights.

But Phylo's rifle looks mighty nice also.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I prefer a chopped down A2 with a longer forearm and flip up sights. That said, I don't mind an A2. My biggest thing is that gas block is attached with taper pins rather than bolts.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like both. My walk around rifle has an A2. My DMR has flip ups. I'd prefer an A2 on a rifle that's going to get knocked around a bit. Just seems a bit more robust since there's less mechanical things to break on it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I personally don't like looking at a sight post while I'm looking through an optic. I also am a full co-witness guy. If you prefer lower 1/3rd cowitness, that sight post isn't as much in your way, so you may not mind it being there. Because of that, if a rifle is going to have an optic, I prefer quality metal flip up sights. The extra handguard length is nice to have as well. If the rifle is going to be primarily used with iron sights, and there is nothing wrong with iron sights, then I like the sturdiness of the A2 post.

Now with all of that being said, phylodog is rocking fixed sights on an extended rail, and I'm pretty sure he is a full cowitness guy as well. So tastes do vary.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Now with all of that being said, phylodog is rocking fixed sights on an extended rail, and I'm pretty sure he is a full cowitness guy as well. So tastes do vary.

Correct. I've found that I don't see the front sight if I'm shooting both eyes open so it doesn't bother me. It's completely subjective and thankfully the AR platform allows for a wide variety of techniques. One of the reasons it's the best platform in the world (flame suit on lol)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    If you've got irons of any kind mounted on a float tube instead of the barrel any torque on your tube changes your zero. That always concerns me. Either get flip ups or a tower on the gas block or just run your optic.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you've got irons of any kind mounted on a float tube instead of the barrel any torque on your tube changes your zero. That always concerns me. Either get flip ups or a tower on the gas block or just run your optic.

I've never experienced it and have been shooting free float rails for years.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

I think that would depend on which handguard you're using.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm trying to decide how to build my next one. I have one with a dedicated scope on it. Low pro gas block, no irons at all. I am building a 16" with a 13" handguard so that will have a low pro gas block with some flip up iron sights. Maybe a red dot at some point.

Another build I am still thinking, but am leaning towards a 20" with an A2 front sight post. Ol'Huff told me if I practice I can learn how to shoot irons again so I am thinking I want to give it a go.

And my last build is still in it's infancy stage so I have no idea how I want to configure it. Maybe a MK12 knockoff?

Top Bottom