• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I had been on the fence about ordering a cmp garand so I sent a email off to the cmp about the supply on hand. I received a response that said, "If you order within the next year you should be ok". Needless to say I sent the order in for a service grade. Just a heads up guys, Is the end near for CMP garands ???? IDK

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the end is in sight. When they started allowing people to get them by the dozen, I knew the supply would not last forever. I am seeing more and more in condition that I would have been disappointing 20 years ago. Now that cheap 30-06 ammo is drying up, I wonder if the casual hobby shooters will start selling them off. That should make the price go down. Since your basic commercial hunting 30-06 ammo is not suitable due to powder burn rates, a person will almost have to be a reloader to shoot much.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I think the end is in sight. When they started allowing people to get them by the dozen, I knew the supply would not last forever. I am seeing more and more in condition that I would have been disappointing 20 years ago. Now that cheap 30-06 ammo is drying up, I wonder if the casual hobby shooters will start selling them off. That should make the price go down. Since your basic commercial hunting 30-06 ammo is not suitable due to powder burn rates, a person will almost have to be a reloader to shoot much.

Unless you have an adjustable gas plug. Commercial 30-06 is a little warmer and can damage op rods but the adjustable gas plug solves that

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I realize this is a thread hijack, but commercial 150 grain FMJ ammo is perfectly safe in the M1 Garand. The manufacturers load it with Garand appropriate powder because they know someone will load it into a Garand. And it just works out that Garand appropriate powder is also the BEST powder for the 150 grain bullet.

Commercial soft point and fancy hunting ammo cannot be used safely in the Garand without you doing some research.

But to get back to the subject, I bought my Garand when it was one rifle per lifetime. I agree with Leo, when they removed the limit the handwriting was on the wall. But in the CMP's defense, when they lost funding from the Army, they had to sell lots of rifles to make up for it.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Last time I talked with sorest, about five months before he retired, he said the consumption rate wasn't an issue yet and wouldn't be for a while. Their problem is that they can't get rifles ready to meet demand.

By the way, they stole the idea for the armorers clinic from me. Arg.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

LOL, not likely. Price of government 1911's skyrocketed after the supply dried up. When the cheap suplus 45 ACP went away it only made surplus .45 more expensive and collectabe. Plenty of suppliers have/will picup the slack when at the surplus .30 is gone, I believe Private Partisan aready sells reasonably priced Grand ready ammo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    But to get back to the subject, I bought my Garand when it was one rifle per lifetime. I agree with Leo, when they removed the limit the handwriting was on the wall. But in the CMP's defense, when they lost funding from the Army, they had to sell lots of rifles to make up for it.

I thought that is when you got yours too. Since the DCM (pre CMP) was strict on the person being a true competitive service rifle match shooter, the rifles they sent were up to snuff. I waited for many months, but the rifle I got was in really great shape, and the armorers had really gone through them for top performance. My trigger was touched up, very smooth and broke at exactly the regulation 4-1/2 pounds. Even my stock was nearly perfect and fit very tightly. They didn't just send combat ready inventory to competitors.

They were a lot cheaper then. I am scratching my memory, but I think the 1st one was $173 to the door. Of course that one had to last the rest of your life.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It depended on when you bought yours, my ex and I bought ours in 82-83 from the DCM like others that were luck of the draw ( and one per lifetime ) we paid
    $ 121.00 each. And it was about a year delivery.
    We received a Springfield and a Winchester. Both WW2 rifles in very nice shape.
    Both rifles were rebuilt during WW2, the Springfield again in the 50's and both again in 1966. And were packed away in storage then until we got them.
    It's interesting about the year thing, I need to order one for my son, he has his mother's ( Winchester ) but I should get him one before the end is here.
    My Dad has his, his brothers and his father's that were bought at or through the old NRA building that was in Wash DC. I though my dad said his father paid around $ 65.00 for each of those.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    The M1 Garand is going (has gone) the way of the M1 Carbine and the 1911. The supply on them is drying (has dried) up. I have a small collection of each. My first M1 Carbine was purchased for under $100.00. It is now valued (on theCMP.org sales site) at or about $1000. I purchased my first 1911 in 1962, from the (then) DCM for $25.00 + $5.65 S&H. Value now..... ?. All good thing must come to an end. My advice, for what it is worth (which is nothing) is to buy now - as many as you can - remember the law of supply and demand with regard to price (read worth).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, the "supply" is still out there, sitting in warehouses and freighters, but the "available supply to the American shooter" is another animal entirely.:D

Is this a problem which can be fixed by executive order? Or does it take the proverbial act of congress?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Wasn't it an executive order that prevented the re-importation of the M1 carbines we leased to S. Korea?

IIRC, it was State Dept. action (Hillary) that got those blocked, not an EO.

I was mistaken. It was the re-importation of Garands from Korea that he blocked (although it would also block re-importation of M1 carbines too if I'm reading this right).

Century Arms: Obama Administration Won't Allow M1 Garands to Com - WTRF 7 News Sports Weather - Wheeling Steubenville

You are correct that his actions basically FUBAR everything USGI from that point onward until the end of his Administration at a minimum. Note that the article (accurately?) refers to them as "executive actions" and not Executive Orders. I know they are different, but I'm not sure of the practical difference. I think that is being discussed in another thread in relation to the recent "gun dealing" brouhaha.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Wasn't it an executive order that prevented the re-importation of the M1 carbines we leased to S. Korea?

Yes. Executive action, but probably some other administration block. Order happened in 2013, I believe. It held up re-importation of M1's and M1 carbines - the M1 carbines exacerbated by the detachable higher capacity magazines. The CMP has no control over the re-importation process. The government must re-import and then turn over to CMP for refurbishing, preservation and disposition. CMP as noted earlier, has a very limited amount of Garands available but, again as previously noted, available supplies are going fast.

Top Bottom