• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I bought an AKM recently. I know, I know. I had lots of reasons I bought it instead of an AR. I don't have anywhere I can shoot over 200 yards, I want to become proficient with the iron sights, I like the heavy build, and I like that the bullets go through concrete. It's like fireworks. :)

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't ever see myself shooting past 200 yards for any situation. Maybe someday I'll get a change to take a 308 out to a half mile, but I'd wait to try it with someone else's gun. Anyone else in this camp?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I bought an AKM recently. I know, I know. I had lots of reasons I bought it instead of an AR. I don't have anywhere I can shoot over 200 yards, I want to become proficient with the iron sights, I like the heavy build, and I like that the bullets go through concrete. It's like fireworks. :)

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't ever see myself shooting past 200 yards for any situation. Maybe someday I'll get a change to take a 308 out to a half mile, but I'd wait to try it with someone else's gun. Anyone else in this camp?

Ability to go the distance?

Like a handgun, I'd rather have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it. I live in the woods too, but no telling what the situation is gonna demand in a SHTF scenario.

Sometimes more IS more.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You could always try proportioned targets.
    I don't know what they're called. Smaller than normal to simulate longer distances, or try smaller targets.
    Years ago my brothers and I would have competitions shooting .22's at walnuts lined up at 100 yards.
    When you can hit the small stuff, the bigger targets are a piece of cake.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ability to go the distance?

Like a handgun, I'd rather have the capability and not need it than need it and not have it. I live in the woods too, but no telling what the situation is gonna demand in a SHTF scenario.

Sometimes more IS more.

And this is good advice. While AKs can be cool to play with for a while, and in some situations might be the best thing for the job, they do have some pretty serious limitations, mainly range. Pretty much the reason I sold all of mine and went the M1A route. Anything an AK can do the M1A can do harder and +500 meters. A rifle that can hit at 800 can still hot at 200 if that is the limit the range I have to shoot on.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You could always try proportioned targets.
    I don't know what they're called. Smaller than normal to simulate longer distances, or try smaller targets.
    Years ago my brothers and I would have competitions shooting .22's at walnuts lined up at 100 yards.
    When you can hit the small stuff, the bigger targets are a piece of cake.

Very good advice if you don't have longer ranges. I practice out to 100yrds shooting 1/2" circles, 210yrds shooting 1" circles and out to 275yrds shooting 1.5" circles. This way you kind of still get the feel for longer ranges even if you don't have the longer range. Its helped me a lot over the years practicing this way for when I've actually gotten to go to longer ranges to shoot at.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I agree, reduced targets are great for practicing fundamentals. If you can hold 2MOA with iron sights at 100yds you can do it--without wind--at 600 or 800. You still need to actually shoot at long distance though to learn to cope with wind, mirage, etc.
    As far as SHTF concerns go, if you've got iron sights you will have a hard time just SEEING the adversary at 200yds once they take cover. Scope mounting options should be on your list of considerations. Irons will work most of the time but a red dot is faster and will give you extended range

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Here is a useful trajectory chart for the 7.62x39 round.

Sight it in at 200 yards, and it will be 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, and 7 inches low at 300 yards.

Published data recommends that the max effective range for the AKM is 400 meters, (440 Yards)

60700.png

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I shoot reduced targets with my sks and ar at 200 years,it will build your skills,come to think of it,i love to shoot reduced targerts with my small bore gun,but anyways,it helps with my long rage game,22-250 ammo aint cheap,great way to keep in practice for me

Top Bottom