• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I like the idea of a .17 HMR and was always wondering when someone would come out with a working model in semi auto. I was in a local gun shop and they had a Savage A17 for around $350. Does anyone on INGO have one and if so can you give a report on it? Also, I know they make a specific round for the A17 but are they reliable with regular .17 HMR ammo?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have one and like it so far but have only put 100 rounds through it so far. I used federal and hornady 17gr ammo in it and didn't have any problems. The only issue I had that worked itself out was in the beginning I could only load 6 rounds in the mag. Any more wouldn't feed properly. After a bit it went up to 8 then by the end I was able to load the full 10. I was only shooting 25 yards but had good results. I put a simmons sweet 17 3-12x40 on it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A .17 HMR semi-auto is a blast! I have a Ruger 10/22 magnum converted to HMR. It runs and shoots very well but does require regular cleaning of the chamber*. Hope the A17 shoots as well but I don't need one.

*Bottle neck cartridge in a blow-back action leads to debris in the chamber which can prevent a round from fully chambering. Out-of-battery ignition (AKA Kaboom) is possible if the chamber is not cleaned every 50-75 rounds or so.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Haven't read any reviews on the A17 lately but a lot of the ones I had read were negative. Lots of trigger problems to the point of being almost unusable, mags falling out upon firing and not fully usable, etc. etc. Also until well broken in had reliability issues with regular 17 HMR ammo. I will say that Savage CS has been top notch with getting the issues fixed for the owners. Also accuracy has been quite good on average.

On a side note the special ammo for the A17 is safe for other rifles chambered in the 17HMR and is some damn good stuff.

Top Bottom