• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hack1313

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    Floyd knobs
    Hey guys new to this site. Thinking bout building a .458 socom so i can deer hunt with it. can Anyone let me know the goods and the bads about this. Thanks

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The good: you'll basically have a mild 45-70 in an AR.

The bad: a lack of commercially available ammo.

If you currently reload, or are willing to start, then there's really nothing bad about it.

As far as your choice of upper, I'd stick with those in the "approved" column on this page...

Barrels using Marty's reamer

That site has a wealth of knowledge about all things .458.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something else to at least consider would be the .450 Bushmaster.

I don't hunt...and I don't have any AR rifles so I'm not sure of the cost differentiation and/or availability between the .458 and the .450. However, it's sticking in my head that the .458 utilizes true "rifle" bullets vs. "pistol" bullets in the .450. Rifle bullets can be driven faster than pistol bullets, and if one is loading the cartridges at home in order to eek out every bit of accuracy and distance and power-on-target, then that may sway the pendulum towards one side or the other.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why do you hate Murrica?:p

heh. I get that a lot.

I don't hunt only because I don't want to clean the quarry. I'll eat it all - I just don't want to clean it.

No AR rifles because A) up until quite recently I didn't have any desire for them. And B) my interest these days in owning one mainly stems around "better get one while I still can" vs. "I really want one to learn and become proficient with the platform" Plus money. Plus wife. :D

Hack1313

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    Floyd knobs
    Thanks for the comments guys. Oy thing is with the 50 beowulf is it seems the upper alone is about $660 and only 1 company makes them. With the .458 i think i can build one alot cheaper and it still be a quality gun.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    The versatility of the 458 Socom can't be beat. It can shoot everything from a 250 gr @ 2000 fps to 600 gr @ 1000 fps. Think suppressor.

I had zero interest in the AR platform until I heard about the 458. Already own a Marlin 1895 GS 45-70 and it is a blast to shoot. I came up with a Indy legal round I call a 45-50 wildcat which is basically a 45-70 case trimmed to 1.8". Works perfect in my 1895 and works great on deer.

Top Bottom