• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking for some feedback on lightweight replacement barrels for a 10/22. I know there are several offerings out there. I would just like to hear some feedback on them. My main focus is on a lighter weight barrel without loosing accuracy or getting something that is finicky about what ammo it likes. I want something that will chew the bulk plinking ammo just as reliably as it will the higher end target ammo.

Options I am currently considering:

WhistlePig AccuLite Threaded Barrel with Fluting
    Beyer Fluted/Threaded Bull Barrel
    KIDD Ultra Lightweight Fluted Bull Barrel with Threading

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I have looked at the TacSol Threaded Bull Barrel too. The factory barrel on my gun now is a Cold-hammer Forged Carbon Steel Bull Barrel. I called the folks at Ruger and they say it weighs in just shy of 3 pounds. It is quite accurate and seems to chew up any ammo I feed it. But the gun overall is a bit heavy for a 10/22. And the weight is disproportionate. You can definitely feel the bulk of the weight of this gun up front.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Kidd or Feddersen for aftermarket. Kidd makes lightweight barrels with sleeves, so they look like bull barrels, but they're light. Feddersen makes some tapered barrels.

CPC if you want to re-work your stock barrel. IMHO, unless you're trying to squeeze the last ounce of accuracy out of your barrel or just wanting to taktikewl it out, I'd just send it to CPC. They'll get your barrel to shoot dang close to what a Kidd barrel will shoot. And get them to work your bolt while they're at it. They do damn nice work.

Edit: Just read your previous post. If you want light and want to do the CPC thing, get a new take off barrel off of ebay for about $20.

Skip all the other options. They're either overpriced, or they won't measure up to what I listed above. If you don't believe me, lurk RFC for a while. And check out the MOA all day challenges and what barrels and builds are shooters.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I second the TacSol barrel. I had a fluted Green Mountain bull barrel before, but it was too heavy. The TacSol is super light and every bit as accurate, if not more so, than the Green Mountain barrel was. Plus the TacSol comes threaded!

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I got on Rimfire Central to see what they had to say. It seems like many of them heavily favor KIDD for anything and everything 10/22. Of course a lot of them have a whole lot of money tied up in their 10/22's. For some reason a few claim that the TacSol barrels can show signs of pre-mature and excessive wear because of the all 6061 aluminum build. I'm not sure how much truth there is in those claims. But it did make me look at the other options. The Beyer is pretty much the same as the TacSol except it is made of a harder 7075 aluminum. Is that actually an improvement? I don't really know. Now the KIDD is 6061 aluminum too but with stainless steel fittings at both ends. Again, is this a better build? Beats me. It is all just one confusing mess to me. 2 have already weighed in with positive feedback on the TacSol. And I have to admit that I think it has a high cool factor just for looks. Anyone have any experience with the others just for the sake of curiosity? Or perhaps I should reconsider the TacSol I was looking at from the beginning.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah, tacsol is not really highly regarded on RFC. They've had issues, aren't as consistently accurate, and are a bit overpriced for what you get. That's why you don't see them recommended much on RFC. You're just better off spending your money elsewhere.

Like I said, Kidd, feddersen, or rework a stock barrel. Kidd is the bees knees for anything 10/22. Read up on feddersen on RFC. They are excellent as well. And cpc is very highly regarded. They'll make a stock barrel shoot lights out.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I've got a Whistlepig 20", fluted, threaded, in an Archangel target stock, Love the weight and balance. Haven't gotten the rifle tuned in yet, still sorting out a scope issue, but it's more accurate than me.

Than and with their array of custom color coatings and lengths, you can get basically anything you want, including 2 tone splatter jobs and 2 color fades.

Top Bottom