• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I've taken the plunge. I bought 3 Anderson lowers when rural king had them on sale last week. I've been looking at parts and see a ton of things back ordered or out of stock. :(
    I found a barreled receiver with a 24" bull barrel for $255 from R GUNS. Why 24"? It is $20 cheaper than the 20". I kinda want to do some long range lovin', so to speak. I have a DPMS AP4, my wife has a pink AR. (Yeah, I know). So I need the lower parts kit, some good glass, a bipod, and the BCG. What are your thoughts or opinions? Even though this is my first build, I'm career military. I've lost count of the number of times I've been range cadre, had to qualify, ect. I am very comfortable with the AR platform. I'm looking for performance over tacticool. I know this is 5.56 not .308 so my expectations are within reason. So is my budget. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the other 2 lowers. So what would you guys and gals do?

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Get a couple of LPK's from either Brownell's, Midway or Palmetto and finish them now before the parts are really scarce. There will come a time no too far down the road when you will be glad you did this sooner rather than later. Complete basic uppers are frequently on sale at Palmetto and you can pick and choose what set up fits your style.

Here is just one example: PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:8 Stainless Steel Freedom Rifle Kit - 508077!

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Get a couple of LPK's from either Brownell's, Midway or Palmetto and finish them now before the parts are really scarce. There will come a time no too far down the road when you will be glad you did this sooner rather than later.

No Joke! So far this weekend I've seen the $89 LPKs @ Palmetto go out of stock, no bolt carrier groups at Palmetto or Aim Surplus. I got the Magpul LPK from Palmetto and BCG and charging handle from Midway just now. I'm tempted to get parts for the other 2 lowers now with the way things are going. I'm tempted to try 300blk on one of the other lowers. It looks to be 41 cents/rd. Do any of you that shoot it think it is worth the extra cost?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    MASdeffense.com has some LPK in stock. If your going to suppress it than IMO 300blk is a lot of fun. I did one before I got NFA toys and I didn't keep it long. After I got my suppressor 300blk is were its at, just not much point in it unless you just want it if your not gonna surpass it. Factory ammo is a bit tough to find so you'd either have to order it online or roll your own. I will say its a ton of fun shooting that round suppressed with subsonics!

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    MASdeffense.com has some LPK in stock. If your going to suppress it than IMO 300blk is a lot of fun.

A suppressor is on another list of mine. I just want to get the paperwork started so I'm in before any changes that might take place. I was thinking suppressed .22 for my first one. You are right about the ammo. It is out there but expensive. For a nickel a round more I can get ZQI .308 so that is something else I'm thinking about. Any words on which can and how much I'd be looking at dollar wise (minus the stamp)?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    IMO for first can get a 30cal can with a QD mounting system. That way you can use it on multiple fire arms. I went with the YHM Phantom L/T 30cal, I'm very happy with it. I use it on my 308 stuff as well as 5.56/223 rifles. Just buy another QD mount and your in business. There are other brands you could choose from as well that have a QD system. I just like the way the YHM system works. Your going to be into the $700ish range I got mine on sale so it was a bit less at my local class III shop. So just shop around and do your research.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    XO, First, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!! For parts and pieces I use Sarco.com. Its all mil spec and they ship quick from Pennsylvania. I got a rifle kit in 3 days at Christmas time.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm biased here, but BCM has BCGs and complete uppers in stock. They have also recently released their LPKs for around that $99 mark. They got swept up quickly, but I put several kits on back order with Brownells. At first glance, that seems a bit expensive. But it comes with with their new PNT trigger, Mod 3 pistol grip, enhanced trigger guard, and of course BCM quality lower parts. So if you add that stuff to, say an Anderson LPK, then you're looking at ($50 + $60 + $18 + $7) = $135. So it's actually a heck of a deal, even by Anderson standards. If you prefer the GI pistol grip and trigger, then obviously an Anderson would work just fine.

As for 300BLK, I have been bitten hard by that bug in the last month or so. I have a 9" SBR and a Saker 762. I'm in love. Weather is supposed to be really nice this weekend for some load development. I loaded up a ton of stuff to try from Barnes 110 up to Hornady 208s. I think it still has its merits, even if you aren't suppressing it. I plan to deer hunt with it in the fall (will be in pistol form) using the Barnes 110 TAC-TX. As for factory ammo, the cheapest I could find was .47/rd for 147gr, and around .85/rd for subsonic. My reloading price is .26/rd for Hornady 150gr , and .35/rd for Hornady 208. You could go even cheaper if you use coated cast bullets.

I definitely agree with going the 30 cal can route first. They are very flexible on what you can use them for. Prices range from $700-$1200 depending on models and features. I chose the Saker because I think it has a superior mounting system in the Trifecta mount. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it's built like a tank.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Update

Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips. Phone blew up Tue. with emails saying stuff had been shipped. Everything was here by Thur. Had to work Fri. and Sat. Here is where I was after dinner Sat...

attachment.php

And a few hours ago...

attachment.php

Lessons learned:

1) Pay attention to what you order. ( No ejection port dust cover)
    2) A brass or other soft hammer would've been nice. ( Couple of dings, you can't see 'em but they are there)
    3) Don't use Inkjet photo paper in a Laser printer. ( I left my wife unsupervised and the .30 cal can budget was destroyed in the process)
    4) On the bright side, I still think I can afford a bipod.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I see you've got the wheeler engineering armorers wrench, how did you like it? I bought one on a whim yesterday, but I saw several less than wonderful reviews for it after I got home :facepalm:

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I see you've got the wheeler engineering armorers wrench, how did you like it? I bought one on a whim yesterday, but I saw several less than wonderful reviews for it after I got home :facepalm:

I used it to install the buffer tube and it worked fine. The barrel was already attached to the upper so I didn't use the other side. It has some torx/screwdriver bits that I would never use. I used a small ratchet with extension for the grip. I'm sure that there is some 'G.I. Joe w/ kung fu grip' wrench out there that is ten times better, but I don't need that. I've taken master locks off of military wall lockers with a crescent wrench, not as cool as a $300 locksmith rig but it got the job done. You'll be fine. I even own tools from Harbor Freight. :runaway:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I used it to install the buffer tube and it worked fine. The barrel was already attached to the upper so I didn't use the other side. It has some torx/screwdriver bits that I would never use. I used a small ratchet with extension for the grip. I'm sure that there is some 'G.I. Joe w/ kung fu grip' wrench out there that is ten times better, but I don't need that. I've taken master locks off of military wall lockers with a crescent wrench, not as cool as a $300 locksmith rig but it got the job done. You'll be fine. I even own tools from Harbor Freight. :runaway:
    Oh man, harbor freight is one of my top 5 favorite stores! I love me some of their cheap woodworking clamps! I'm definitely not worried about high end for something that will spend the majority of its time in my tool box, just don't want it to break the first time I try to use it... Which reminds me, I gotta take some stuff back to harbor freight :):

Top Bottom