• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Does anyone have any smokeless powder suggestions for the Savage 10ML? A buddy is looking for ideas. I think his current powder is discontinued. I believe it is SR4759. I saw a couple of ideas doing a Google search but wanted to know what INGO suggested. Thanks.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Only one I've used is IMR 4227, but I don't believe Savage recommends using it anymore due to some people having problems getting it to ignite in extreme cold. I've never had a problem getting it to ignite, but I've also never done any load development testing to see if something else it more accurate.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Tell your friend to go to the website "doug's message boards" It is THE smokeless Savage 10ML muzzlelaoding website. I own a 10ML-II in stainless with laminated stock. I have put roughly 1500 loads through it. EVRYTHING and anything your friend will ever want to or need to know about Savage smokeless muzzleloaders he will find at Doug's. You will not find a website populated with a better class of internet people anywhere.

Tell your friend there are quite a few powders suitable for use in the 10ML all of them you will find at Doug's as well as the appropriate loadings of those powders with the bullets and sabots known to work best with them. For all intents and purposes all of the load development he will ever need to find a deadly accurate load capable of killing any game animal in north America will be his for the asking.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I know a lot of people who have them and use 5744, which also means 1680 works but never have met someone who tried it.

The list of powders you can use through them is extensive

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know a lot of people who have them and use 5744, which also means 1680 works but never have met someone who tried it.

I use 5744 in mine but haven't tried 1680 either.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle

Do not assume that because you find a powder with a similar burn rate, that you can use it in a smokeless ML. In this case, 1680 is too fine. Its a spherical powder, and it's plenty small enough to fit through the hole in the 10ML's ventliner. Bad things can happen in a smokeless ML if you get powder on the primer side of the ventliner. VihtaVuori N110 would be an excellent substitute, as is the aforementioned 5744. It really depends on the bullet weight though. I could make more specific recommendations if I had more information regarding this specific application.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    5744 for me as well, but I would follow ART's advice above, and/or check out the muzzleloading info on Chuck Hawks website.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Do not assume that because you find a powder with a similar burn rate, that you can use it in a smokeless ML. In this case, 1680 is too fine. Its a spherical powder, and it's plenty small enough to fit through the hole in the 10ML's ventliner. Bad things can happen in a smokeless ML if you get powder on the primer side of the ventliner. VihtaVuori N110 would be an excellent substitute, as is the aforementioned 5744. It really depends on the bullet weight though. I could make more specific recommendations if I had more information regarding this specific application.

Never had heard of that before, I have 1680 and for some reason a 10ML Vent Liner so I tried it out. With enough pressure (like after seating a sub base), I'm sure you could get some powder behind the vent liner, never thought about it before, always thought 1680 was a little larger powder than it actually is.

Did a little looking and some did use 1680 but seemed like every time it was mentioned, getting behind the vent liner was mentioned as well

Top Bottom