• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Looking to purchase a threaded .22LR bolt action for suppressor use. I've narrowed it down to the Savage FV-SR (best bang for the buck.) My question is has anyone purchased this model recently?... If so what is the length of thread at the end of the barrel? I've read multiple answers and was wanting recent first hand info. Thanks in advance!
    Just for extra discussion, feel free to talk me into a better option! Will use to squirrel hunt, so try and keep the weight down.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Mine is about two years old now. It has a 1/2" of thread on it.

I won't talk you out of it. I love mine. It makes a great suppressor host, and is as accurate as I can make it.

I even qualified rifleman with it at an Appleseed.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Sorry I cannot help with the thread question, but I will also vouch for the rifle. It's a great rifle. You can upgrade a lot on it if you want, or keep it the way it is. I absolutely love mine.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for the responses! Which suppressor do you use?!... And does it thread all the way on without any exposed thread? Most .22 suppressors are spec at .400 of thread and I have read that some of the Savages are .475 leaving a small space. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have one, not a recent purchase, and my use is different than yours (made mine heavy). Here are some photos on your questions

my rifle -

threads measured -

Hunter Town Arms Guardian -

Gemtech Outback II -

Don't think you can go wrong with the FV-SR. Only other one I like is the Ruger American. Best I can tell, the only difference between the two rifles is button-rifled barrel on the Savage, and hammer-forged barrel on the Ruger. Dunno what difference that would make.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I love mine! The Boyd's stock is a worthwhile upgrade although probably not necessary. I don't even have a suppressor for it yet and it's still one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked one up a few months back. I got a quick dial in on it and am pretty happy with it.

Going to be my go to gun this summer for bench use and for teaching new shooters.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks again for the responses, looks like the Huntertown fits a little more flush than the Gemtech. I have a Dead Air Mask HD in jail so I will compare specs against the 2 cans in your photos. Looks like the "Tacticool" stock is a popular choice, but I can't get past the additional weight. Maybe just add a cheek riser to the factory stock?... Unless there's a better lightweight option?
    By the way.... Nice lookin rifle!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ...snip... Looks like the "Tacticool" stock is a popular choice, but I can't get past the additional weight. Maybe just add a cheek riser to the factory stock?... Unless there's a better lightweight option?
    By the way.... Nice lookin rifle!

That is what a good friend of mine has done. Added a cheek riser to his factory stock. Works good.

And thanks! :cool:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I wont talk you out of one either. Mine was an awesome shooter, one of those guns Id wish Id never sold. Its a great 22lr bolt gun and super accurate, plus has the added benefit of the Accutriger right out of the box.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Looks like I'm going to pick up one of these in the next few months while I await my suppressor... If the threads don't work out perfectly, I'll deal with it then. Thanks to all who responded, all input was appreciated!

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Awesome to see more responses! Thanks for the info... I couldn't find any info on the Gem-Tech spacer (as far as width) any idea? Need something .075 on .475 thread right? Is it possible to have the threads cut to the correct length, and avoid the spacer all together?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Was it this one? It's the one I'm considering. Thanks

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1189961&CAT=3602

How hard is it to drill those holes through the stock? Seems like it would be tough to get them straight? However, the finish product looks functional. Thanks for the info.

Yes, that is the riser he used. He said it comes with a template, that you tape on the stock. He marked the 4 holes and they all lined up just fine. Says he likes it because he can get enough rise and still be able to cycle the bolt no problem. The factory Savage stock is hollow.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Awesome to see more responses! Thanks for the info... I couldn't find any info on the Gem-Tech spacer (as far as width) any idea? Need something .075 on .475 thread right? Is it possible to have the threads cut to the correct length, and avoid the spacer all together?

I used arbor shims. Thin washers made out of shim stock. I use two at a time, but right now I don't remember what thickness. I'm wanting to say 0.035" or 0.040" (each shim).
    I bought the arbor shims from Grainger. McMaster-Carr or Fastenal might have them too.
    My FV-SR is 3 or 4 years old and the threads are 0.475" long.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks again for all the info! The riser is definitely something to consider, a lot of people have mention diproductsinc.com for various parts... So they must make quality products. .475 seems to be the most common thread length, where did Savage come up with that measurement?! ... Especially since every .22 suppressor uses .400?

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Just picked up a 93r17 fv-Sr this evening. Going to go with the di products deluxe kit, a bipod, and a first focal plane scope. Hopefully this will be an moa gun at 100?

Top Bottom