Budget AR rifles and lower receiver quality?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I saw some fairly decent prices at Rural King on an Anderson AR rifle and an Eagle arms by armalite rifle. Both were under $600.00.
    I have also been planning in grabbing some stripped lowers and Anderson seems to be the most affordable. I was curious if Anderson has acceptable materials and quality machining that is on par with a stag arms or Spikes lower? I would love to hear from anyone who has built rifles off the anderson lowers or has purchased complete anderson rifles. As far as the Eagle/Armalite rifles I have seen armalite rifles before and they seemed like a solid rifle but i have never seen them marketing a separate brand so info on the eagle arms brand would be appreciated.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I've built 6 or 7 rifles on Anderson lowers, and one Stag lower. I really couldn't see any difference between the one Stag and the Andersons. I mean they are all 'mil-spec', had equivalent fit and finish. I mean they were all basic lowers. Except I'm one of the people who really didn't like that big horse logo on the side of the Anderson's. I like the small horse a lot better.
    But that's just me and not really liking horses to begin with.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I've built a couple Anderson lowers and I've had no problems with them. Although one I had and a few I've seen at the store had very minor machine marks in the mag well but nothing that interfered with function. The only thing I don't like is the feel of the finish, nothing bad just personal preference, and for that I spend the extra couple bucks and get aero precision lowers but again that's just my preferenc.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    First Anderson Lowers I saw looked like my daughter had stamped the 'fire/safe' in to the side. Very soft, not crisp lettering. I looked at one this past week and it looked better. I may buy one to do my build with...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I've been researching for my first build and found this q&a blog the other day, kinda interesting. I however just noticed Anderson is t on here :dunno:

Q: How do I know which lower receiver to purchase? What “brands” are good?
    A: There are a tremendous amount of different lowers out on the market, but not every lower is made by the company that has its name on the side. You would be surprised at how many lowers from different companies actually come from probably less than a dozen machine shops.

At present, this is the list of which manufacturers produce lowers for which companies:
    Lewis Machine & Tool

• LMT
    • Lauer
    • DS Arms
    • PWA
    • Eagle
    • Armalite
    • Knights Armament
    • Barrett
    Continental Machine Tool

• Stag
    • Rock River Arms
    • High Standard
    • Noveske
    • Century (New)
    • Global Tactical
    • CLE
    • S&W
    • MGI
    • Wilson Tactical
    • Grenadier Precision
    • Colt
    LAR Manufacturing

• LAR
    • Bushmaster
    • Ameetec
    • DPMS
    • CMMG
    • Double Star
    • Fulton Armory
    • Spike’s Tactical
    JVP

• Double Star
    • LRB
    • Charles Daly
    Mega Machine Shop

• Mega
    • GSE
    • Dalphon
    • POF
    • Alexander Arms
    Olympic

• Olympic
    • SGW
    • Tromix
    • Palmetto
    • Dalphon
    • Frankford
    • Century (Old)
    Sun Devil

• Sun Devil forged billet receivers
    Superior

• Superior Arms
    • Lauer (New)
    Aero Precision

• Aero Precision

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The reason you don't see Anderson on the list is because they make their own.
    It's Anderson Manufacturing.

Anderson are good to go. They are a serviceable lower that you can rely on.
    I've not read a review of a problem with an Anderson lower that was properly assembled.

I've assembled at least 2 Anderson Lowers with different LPK and triggers, and they both work fine.
    I've also assemble a few Delaware Machinery lowers, made right here in Muncie In. that also work as advertised.
    An Essential arms lower. a couple of PSA lowers...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Anderson receivers are dog ****. Looks like a toddler machined them.

Forgings come from one of a few places as listed up thread.

BUT.....there's machining that needs to be done to the forging. Not all receivers are the same as a lot of people want you to think. When you buy an Anderson receiver, you aren't getting something of the same quality level as Knights Armament, LMT, etc... Anyone who tells you different has no idea what they're talking about.

This is coming from someone that has bought their garbage. Machining marks all over the damn place where they shouldn't be. They look worse than PSA blems. And they didn't go together well for me either because they don't hold the same machining tolerances as the good manufacturers.

Theres a reason these are cheap.

Now.....that said, you don't have to buy a $200 lower to get a good one. For example, Aero Precision makes good quality lowers for a good price. They are my go to for bang for my buck receivers. Do your research and figure out which are good. Heck, visit a LGS and check out receivers in person. You'll be able to see the difference first hand between an Anderson and something of good quality.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Anderson receivers are dog ****. Looks like a toddler machined them.

Forgings come from one of a few places as listed up thread.

BUT.....there's machining that needs to be done to the forging. Not all receivers are the same as a lot of people want you to think. When you buy an Anderson receiver, you aren't getting something of the same quality level as Knights Armament, LMT, etc... Anyone who tells you different has no idea what they're talking about.

This is coming from someone that has bought their garbage. Machining marks all over the damn place where they shouldn't be. They look worse than PSA blems. And they didn't go together well for me either because they don't hold the same machining tolerances as the good manufacturers.

Theres a reason these are cheap.

Now.....that said, you don't have to buy a $200 lower to get a good one. For example, Aero Precision makes good quality lowers for a good price. They are my go to for bang for my buck receivers. Do your research and figure out which are good. Heck, visit a LGS and check out receivers in person. You'll be able to see the difference first hand between an Anderson and something of good quality.

I guess you got one that slipped through QC :dunno:

This Anderson went together without issue and mated to the high quality (and high dollar) upper very well. Not junk in my book.
    IMG_0803_zpsjzob7bp3.jpg

I don't think it plays into it, but both upper and lower came from the same forge.
    upper2_zpsu9pyyb2l.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its a parts holder... The Anderson will serve you well, I don't even know how many I have used to date never had an issue with any of them. Their especially nice when you can catch them in stock from AIM surplus for $39.95!!!!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've seen a few minor issues with Anderson receivers, nothing major and even with the few issues I've seen I wouldn't steer away. In fact I just picked up one not too long ago for a cheap pistol build.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I had no issues with the one anderson build I have done. The lower was assembled with no issues and everything has been working fine with tight tolerances. I usually buy Spikes as I feel they look better (and usually 20 extra dollars isnt going to break the bank) but in the end , All my lowers end up looking like crap after I drag them along barriers, rocks, concrete. I dont care now if they look good from the get go as they will be all scratched in a couple months anyways. Hell, my seekins has been scratch all to hell, which is some what of the reason I went the spikes route now.... To me a forged lower is a forged lower now, as long as it goes together fine (and I havent had any issues with the one anderson that I bought).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My Anderson lower didn't have the grip screw channel tapped/threaded deep enough. Had to cut some threads off the end of the grip screw to get it solidly in there.

IIRC, this is a semi-regular occurrence with Anderson lowers.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I guess I am a snob. I build or buy my firearms to last. I try to stay away from cheap builds

Agreed. People wonder why I drop money on a Noveske lower or buy a Colt. They tell me I could have gotten a DPMS, Rock River, or Olympic for cheaper. I just chuckle and then proceed to tell them the differences. When I ask them about what the barrel and BCG should be made out of, they have no idea. I then explain the differences come down to materials, craftsmanship, and QC. I buy quality stuff because A: I can afford it B: It has been proven time and time again to buy quality. If I need to save $50 here or $100 there, then I need to re-evaluate my life and stop spending money on firearms. YMMV

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just buy the cheapest crap I can find and run the **** out of it for as long as I can. YMMV

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My Anderson lower didn't have the grip screw channel tapped/threaded deep enough. Had to cut some threads off the end of the grip screw to get it solidly in there.

IIRC, this is a semi-regular occurrence with Anderson lowers.

I have seen this complaint a few times before and the one I built with an Anderson had a wobbly grip.

Top Bottom