• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, so I've been on an AR kick lately but I've gotten back to my true love - old wood and steel. These are both Dutch Hembrug carbines (originally chambered in 6.5x53R).

This one was sent to Indonesia after WWII and since they had a bunch of left over .303 Brit ammo from WWII, they re-barrelled it for 303 in 1953.

This one is a bicycle troop carbine in the original 6.5x53R caliber. Luckily I can make my own brass out of 303 casings. Note the wood cover on the left side of the mag well. This was to make it a little more comfortable when slung across the bicycle troops' backs.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got the full length infantry rifle version. Haven't loaded for it yet.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/Dutch_Hembrug_Stripper_Clip_it-932366.aspx?CAT=3776 clips here if you need them.

I've never seen one of the full length rifles (didn't even know they existed!). I'd love to see a pic if you could post one. Thanks for the link on the clips. I was able to pick up 6 off ebay. Depending on shipping charges those on Buffalo Arms might be even cheaper. I paid 8 bucks apiece (shipped) for the ones I got. I ordered one box of the ammo from them (backordered)... Ouch!! :spend: I plan on making my own, but I wanted to have at least one box of factory ammo for reference. With shipping, it came out to about $3.75 a round. :faint:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Two beautiful rifles..

The Indonesian with the flash suppressor is so cool...It gives that carbine a manly look, And it still has the Indinesian star.. Seems they forgot to get them on the suppressor variations, the 303 conversions with out the supressor seem to have all had the star removed..

The Dutch carbine with the magazine wood cover is to die for, Looks a little like those rifles they used in original planet of the apes movie..

You know with a twist of the screw driver you can drop the 303 rifle into the dutch carbine stock. So you can shoot both rifles on the 303 cheap so to speak. The front rifle band will not fit over the muzzle break, But it will shoot..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Two beautiful rifles..

The Indonesian with the flash suppressor is so cool...It gives that carbine a manly look, And it still has the Indinesian star.. Seems they forgot to get them on the suppressor variations, the 303 conversions with out the supressor seem to have all had the star removed..

The Dutch carbine with the magazine wood cover is to die for, Looks a little like those rifles they used in original planet of the apes movie..

You know with a twist of the screw driver you can drop the 303 rifle into the dutch carbine stock. So you can shoot both rifles on the 303 cheap so to speak. The front rifle band will not fit over the muzzle break, But it will shoot..

I think I'm going to try and make my own 53R ammo and leave them as they are. I've got everything I need except a set of 6.5x54MS dies. I need to shoot up some 303 so I will have the brass to make it with though. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very nice.....Missed you the other day but know that myself and indy1919 made fun of you just like you were here....:)

I wish I could have made it too. Getting to be a busy time around the yard here. And of course I would have been disappointed if you hadn't made fun of me in absentia. :): Hey, do you know if they make extra safeties for these old Dutch rifles??

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've never seen one of the full length rifles (didn't even know they existed!). I'd love to see a pic if you could post one. Thanks for the link on the clips. I was able to pick up 6 off ebay. Depending on shipping charges those on Buffalo Arms might be even cheaper. I paid 8 bucks apiece (shipped) for the ones I got. I ordered one box of the ammo from them (backordered)... Ouch!! :spend: I plan on making my own, but I wanted to have at least one box of factory ammo for reference. With shipping, it came out to about $3.75 a round. :faint:
    Can get pictures up tomorrow night or Saturday.

Yeah, even the surplus, if you can find it, runs for $2/round or more. :faint:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I think I'm going to try and make my own 53R ammo and leave them as they are. I've got everything I need except a set of 6.5x54MS dies. I need to shoot up some 303 so I will have the brass to make it with though. :)

Great, but if you get a supply of that 53R you will have then collect all the uptenth variation of all those little dutch carbines. Now that will put you in the poor house

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    ha ha the Dutch curse begins...

Hey have you had a second to take apart the Dutch Carbine.. Is all the wood matching numbers, including the Magazine wood???? And how was the barrel inside???
    Any under the wood pitting?????

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ha ha the Dutch curse begins...

Hey have you had a second to take apart the Dutch Carbine.. Is all the wood matching numbers, including the Magazine wood???? And how was the barrel inside???
    Any under the wood pitting?????

I haven't had time to take it apart yet (or the Indonesian). Don't really see any pitting to speak of on the outside but there is basically no bluing left, and the bore shows some wear, but no pitting. Rifling still looks good. I haven't even run a boresnake through it yet. Too many other projects on my plate right now and just haven't gotten around to it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    2vuzml3.jpg

2j2xrbd.jpg

2zp451x.jpg

9pywls.jpg

I believe my rifle has been reblued at some point. The bolt knob on these is certainly generous. Not sure if the sling is original or not.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The Long rifle is Very nice.. amazing how many rifle variations the small country of Belgium had.. and then to boot they had a unique and odd ball cartridge, again nice long rifle...

Top Bottom