• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noday345

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Plymouth
    Thinking about building an AR for the first time. I would appreciate any input on a moderate build. Brands pieces parts etc. I have been on here awhile but I have never reached out for input.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Check out radical firearms. I've built 2, a 458 socom and 556, using their uppers and am extremely happy with function and looks. Great prices too

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Would need to know target price, and + / - tolerance on the price.

Also would need to know intended purpose. Are you wanting a 16" all around recce type, something as light as possible carbine, something to pack through the woods to hunt with, a 20" heavy barreled pig with a big scope, or something else in particular? The AR platform can be built a million different ways for a million different purposes.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Just get on youtube and start watching review videos of different parts that you think you might be interested in. Then more videos will be lined up along the right. Some will be for that same product, some will be for similar. You can also type into google a single part your looking for and then view the resulting photos. Follow a photo's link to find out what it is. Then you can look for reviews of it. I just finished my first AR build with no help from anyone on what parts to get. I only just started getting into guns last year. Don't be lazy, and do your own research. No one else is going to know what you are looking for and what part you may like over another. The interwebs is chock full of info on building an AR. When you're done, you will know everything you need to know and more.

Noday345

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Plymouth
    Thanks all of these are very helpful. I told the guy at the gunshop what I wanted to do as maybe a hobby...he said shot hobby only takes 20 min. Great help I will check out the options and see

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    he said shot hobby only takes 20 min.
    ????? What takes 20 minutes? If you're talking about building an AR, 20 mins means you slapped a pre-built upper and lower together. That to me isn't building anything. Ordering every single part individually and putting those together is building a gun. I guarantee you that it will take more than 20 minutes. Especially if you've never done it before and you want to do it right. Now there's nothing wrong with slapping together pre-built stuff, but I assumed that's not what you were asking about when you said "Brands pieces parts etc."

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    ????? What takes 20 minutes? If you're talking about building an AR, 20 mins means you slapped a pre-built upper and lower together. That to me isn't building anything. Ordering every single part individually and putting those together is building a gun. I guarantee you that it will take more than 20 minutes. Especially if you've never done it before and you want to do it right. Now there's nothing wrong with slapping together pre-built stuff, but I assumed that's not what you were asking about when you said "Brands pieces parts etc."

I agree. Part of the fun of this hobby is researching the individual parts which make an AR perfect FOR YOU. There are so many parts out there that no one will be able to tell you the best ones for your build. Determine whats important to you in a rifle (lightweight, accuracy, long range, etc.) and start researching parts that fit your criteria.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    What's your idea of "moderate build" in terms of $$$??? To me a moderate build is $1300-$1600 with sights/optic included. Things that need to be bought for a moderate build would be at least an upper end barrel, trigger, and BCG. Good barrel manufacturers would be Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, Green Mountain; or Rainier Arms, Noveske, Kreiger, LaRue for deep pockets. CMC, Timney make good triggers. Geissle for deeper pockets.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You need to really kind of nail down the idea of what you want to accomplish with the rifle and go from there. Is it going to be a carbine that you just take to the range once an a while an put a couple mags through. Or is it a rig you want to put a magnified optic on to shoot out a little bit longer range. Your intended purpose of the rifle will dictate what parts you need to buy and from who you need to get them from. Good luck with your build!

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Palmetto State Armory or Primary arms both sell good quality parts at fair prices. Try picking up a Anderson lower they're great.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    To echo what has been said.
    1/determine budget
    2/determine intended purpose

all other decisions should be based on the above.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Building doesn't save much money these days if you are building based on nothing but price point. Where the satisfaction of building really shines is when you end up with two other rifles assembled with random stuff you've accumulated... I'll reiterate, not a money saver!

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    That's why mine was built without any parts kits. I picked out and ordered every single piece. You don't save money, but you get the rifle you want without the spare parts.

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    Palmetto State Armory or Primary arms both sell good quality parts at fair prices. Try picking up a Anderson lower they're great.
    I'm building my first AR and it's made primarily of Anderson parts. I'd wanted to wait and buy higher-end parts, but with Sleepy Joe in the white house and all...

Anyone want to give me some advice on the bare minimum of tools I'll need to put it together? I believe I saw a member here say he did it with a sawed off nail and some channel locks.

Jlong51454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2022
    Indainapolis
    I'm building my first AR and it's made primarily of Anderson parts. I'd wanted to wait and buy higher-end parts, but with Sleepy Joe in the white house and all...

Anyone want to give me some advice on the bare minimum of tools I'll need to put it together? I believe I saw a member here say he did it with a sawed off nail and some channel locks.
    A bev block and an armorers wrench will get you through most operations. A set of roll pin punches is handy to have as well.

Top Bottom