• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm toying around with the idea of using wood furniture on my INGO lower build. As such, of course it will be a fixed stock. What kinds of things do I need to consider in building this style of rifle vs. one with the collapsible butt stock? Anything different besides the buffer/buffer tube? I haven't decided definitely if I'm going to go this route but just wanted to know what sort of things I need to consider. Thanks :ingo:!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    It would be very unique since there are so few in the wild. Only issue is cost of the wood verses plastic furniture.

Ironwood makes a classy A1 Stock, Grip and Hand Guard set. Price is $300. IWDAR15

AR15.035.jpg

Boyd's also makes a wooden stock and handguard set that is quite a bit less expensive.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=5E&Model=998&Action=1D&Shape=35

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=5E&Model=998&Action=1D&Shape=34

pl-ar.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I found a set that I liked by Lucid at Brownell's for 189. I don't have much experience in building them, and the ones I have built have the collapsible butt stocks. I was just curious about what will be different for when I start looking for parts for the build.

This is one that I kind of like...

l_100004903_1.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have an A2 buttstock on my SPR build. It's not that much more difficult than installing a collapsible one. Of course the buffer, buffer tube and buffer spring will be different. They will be the longer rifle type assemblies. The rifle length buffer tube will screw directly into the lower receiver without the use of a castle nut. The A2 stock also requires a spacer that is dropped inside the stock and sits on the end of the buffer tube.

Here's a youhoo tube video that describes the parts needed along with installation. There are other related videos available as well.

[video=youtube;FyTfkd157e8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyTfkd157e8[/video]

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the video! I've bookmarked it (I love youtube for this stuff :)). Seems pretty straightforward then. So other than the buffer and buffer tube, everything else is pretty much the same?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for the video! I've bookmarked it (I love youtube for this stuff :)). Seems pretty straightforward then. So other than the buffer and buffer tube, everything else is pretty much the same?
    Yeah it is pretty straight forward. Not that difficult at all. The main difference in parts are pretty much as I described before. Just make sure to use the longer rifle length A2 buffer, buffer spring and buffer tube. The shorter carbine length parts that are used with a collapsible stock buffer assembly are not interchangable. You will not need a castle nut. Other than that you will be using the same parts such as the buffer spring retainer and spring and the rear take down pin, detent, and spring.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sweet. I think I can manage that. Like I said, I'm still kicking around the idea, but kind of wanted to do something special with the INGO lower. And since my true love is old wood and steel, this would kind of be a nice mixture of the old and new. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sweet. I think I can manage that. Like I said, I'm still kicking around the idea, but kind of wanted to do something special with the INGO lower. And since my true love is old wood and steel, this would kind of be a nice mixture of the old and new. :)
    Sounds good. I like the A2 on my SPR. I have'nt done anything with the wood type A2 stock but I would imagine the parts and assembly would be the same.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Every time I am sure I know what I am getting for my Ingo lower somebody posts something cool I didn't know about. I may never make a decision. Seriously, thanks for the links!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Every time I am sure I know what I am getting for my Ingo lower somebody posts something cool I didn't know about. I may never make a decision. Seriously, thanks for the links!

:): I know what you mean! Back when I thought I had sworn off AR's for good because I was never a fan of black "synthetic" anything when it came to guns, someone showed me a wood stock set and I thought it looked pretty neat. Now that I've "unsworn" off them, it seems like it would be a cool option.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I was only kidding about the pimp-daddy option. I thought it reminded me of something they might have found in Saddam's palace. :):

Nonetheless, it does make you think about what color combinations you could cerakote the receivers to go with those wood stocks. It could be really sharp and unique at the same time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nonetheless, it does make you think about what color combinations you could cerakote the receivers to go with those wood stocks. It could be really sharp and unique at the same time.

Oh yeah, the copper and wood on that rifle is "pretty" for sure... like an art piece of some kind of modern furniture or something. Just a bit much on a gun for my taste.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I found a set that I liked by Lucid at Brownell's for 189. I don't have much experience in building them, and the ones I have built have the collapsible butt stocks. I was just curious about what will be different for when I start looking for parts for the build.

This is one that I kind of like...

l_100004903_1.jpg
    Maybe it's just me but I run my rifles hard.
    They get hot and eventually heavy.
    How much heat would be held in and what's the weight of these?
    I look for function first on my rifles and handguns but sometimes the "Pretty" takes over.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe it's just me but I run my rifles hard.
    They get hot and eventually heavy.
    How much heat would be held in and what's the weight of these?
    I look for function first on my rifles and handguns but sometimes the "Pretty" takes over.
    I'm not sure about the weight, but I can't imagine them being heavier than the furniture (aluminum quad rail primarily) that I have on my "long range" set up. This wouldn't be a SHTF rifle by any means. Probably just a range toy. As for heat, I don't see that it would be any different than the heat from an M-14 with a wooden stock. I'm guessing there is some kind of heat shielding in the forearm, but I don't know for sure.

Top Bottom