• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey all,

I'm looking at getting an AK for around $600 and I've come across the Zastava N-PAP. My searching skills are usually up to snuff but I didn't see much on here about them. I've been impressed with most things that come out of their factory (built like tanks) so I was leaning that way over other options around that price point.

One thing I've read about is the stock's "higher than normal" comb which apparently is good for optics but problematic if you want to stick with iron sights. If anyone has any insight on that I would appreciate it. I'm leaning towards just having iron sights and keeping the wood furniture.

The other options in the same price range is the Red Army Standard AK and the WASR10 which seems like an INGO favorite.

Also, I won't be opposed to the "save your money and buy a _____" opinion so long as there's a good reason and it's not double the the price point I'm looking at.

Edit: just found this as well:https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/403118-ak47-$600-budget.html

Century rifles terrify me, is the RAS really okay?

Last edited:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Look up ak operators union and watch some of their reviews. They've recently ran 5000 round through a ras 47 and it fell apart and at the end failed the no go gauge. Ive seen enough mixed reviews about the ras to keep me away from it. The wasrs seem to be really good rifles for the money if you get a newer one or inspect an older rifle for canted sights and mag wobble. For a little bit more than the $600 you could get a ddi, which seem to have great reviews. Also watch the classifieds as great deals pop up quite often. :ingo:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for the input. Century rifles really do concern me, and that's why I had a hard time with the RAS.

I'll take a look at the AK Operators Union as well!

Are canted sights "the norm" with WASRs? I feel like that comes up a lot. If the N-PAP is built in the factory in Serbia with as little Century involvement as possible, isn't that a plus? I think I heard Century replaces the trigger and two other components and that's it.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I know with older wasrs it was a commin problem but with newer rifles coming in, the seem to have gotten it right. The big problem use to be mag wobble. The wasrs are romanian guns brought into the country with mag wells that onky take single stack mags and to get them to take double stack mags they had to open up the magwell. Sometimes they took too much material off and you get excessive mag wobble that could lead to feeding issues. But like I said, the new wasrs seem to be good to go. As for the n pap and opap im have no experience with them. Also the general consensus in the ak community says to avoid I.O. rifles like the plague.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I agree with what warriorbob said in general. I have been very happy with most all the Romanian rifles I have had. They are getting more expensive and a little harder to find though with much of the Cugir production going to the middle east. I have had a couple npaps as well and they are very solid, smooth rifles.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm not a fan of Yugo AK's. I hate that they don't chrome line the barrels, and a lot of the parts are proprietary like the furniture and optics mount. As already stated, if you can find a Romanian that is built straight, they make nice rifles for the price. VEPR makes a great rifle, Saiga if you can find a decently priced one, or possibly something older like an Egyptian or Chi-Com. If you can come up with enough for one, an Arsenal SLR will knock your socks off.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I agree with what warriorbob said in general. I have been very happy with most all the Romanian rifles I have had. They are getting more expensive and a little harder to find though with much of the Cugir production going to the middle east. I have had a couple npaps as well and they are very solid, smooth rifles.

For a pricing comparison, I've found a new N-PAP for $580 shipped and a WASR for about $600, so they're very close. If I buy online, I would be in for a hassle if the sights on a WASR come in canted. Did you have any complaints with the higher comb stock on your N-PAPs?

I had a M70 under folder so yeah, proprietary furniture can be annoying, but I'm pretty sure I would be keeping it stock, excluding the grip.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    What's wrong with canted sights?

I see this "issue" popping up all the time in reference to AKs. People say things like, "They're cheaply built and come with canted sights." So? Do canted sights not work? Do they stop your AK from running?

My Century AKMS came with canted sights. I used it to shoot man-sized targets at 500 yards. That thing's a beast. If you're looking for a good AK don't let the sights deter you from anything. As for the price and which one is best, they're all about the same in that price range. Buy the cheapest one you can and treat it like an AK.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    The privlem with canted sights is sometimes they're so bad you cant get the rifle zeroed and if your just picking a rifle up off the shelf at a store and it has canted sights how do you know if its to far of a cant without shooting it? Best to just avoid the issue all together.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Back in the day when they were $299 out the door I could almost live with a little cant in the sight block. Nowadays at $550 or more I don't care for it. The Pap rifles I'm not that experienced with but the new WASR is a decent gun. If you want just a plain jane Original Looking AK the Pap rifles probably wouldn't be that bad.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Why not step on up and get an O-PAP? Built on a 1.5 RPK receiver. I heard there were to be no more imported, but LGS has them pop in every once in a while. About $650

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Don't know about your area but I've seen a couple lately for about $650-700. ( I believe they were $689) but I'm old so don't quote me on that. South of Indy

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    stick with combloc if you can. US rifles are getting better but not there yet. DDI might be the exception at this point.

My suggestion would be WASR or VEPR.

N-PAP or O-PAP would be next on my list.

Top Bottom